Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What is the 500 limit about and how could it possibly be enforced?

I think 500 is the max for an organised event, but if the park is shared with other sports, then I am not sure how Parkrun can go ahead if it uses the same path as soccer and gaa matches are close by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think 500 is the max for an organised event, but if the park is shared with other sports, then I am not sure how Parkrun can go ahead if it uses the same path as soccer and gaa matches are close by

Wasn't thinking of that, but one could probably argue those are separate events and always more than 2m apart.

I think the logistical challenge would be imposing the 500 limit when Parkrun normally only count finishers and then only for awarding a time. Without any formal pre registration, or head count, something would need to change. How do you corral the first 500 without creating a huge area to maintain distance, etc?

On the flip side, I don't think there are too many events that would ever come close to 500. Marley Park might well be the only one, maybe At Anne's too but any other I looked at had an average of 100 finishers, often less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Genghis wrote: »
    Wasn't thinking of that, but one could probably argue those are separate events and always more than 2m apart.

I think the logistical challenge would be imposing the 500 limit when Parkrun normally only count finishers and then only for awarding a time. Without any formal pre registration, or head count, something would need to change. How do you corral the first 500 without creating a huge area to maintain distance, etc?

On the flip side, I don't think there are too many events that would ever come close to 500. Marley Park might well be the only one, maybe At Anne's too but any other I looked at had an average of 100 finishers, often less.

Think when parkrun dies return there will be a big upsurge in attendance.

My local parkrun was getting 200+ regularily in the last few months pre covid. When I first went in 2017 it was about 75 average. We actually reckon early on to see 400+ at it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Went along to one of our potential destinations for parkrun this morning to give the dog and child a walk. Noticable far more muggles walking dogs there than there ever would have been before, clear that the kid has zero interest in maintaining forward momentum, loos are apparently no longer accessible to the public (might just have been the person on the door didn't know and wanted me to put some change in their donations box), coffee shop still does awesome coffee and cakes but were slower than a very slow thing on a go slow day.

So re evaluated our options and will pick a different course for next week and hope that it doesn't get overrun by Welsh people hopping over the bridge and just stopping at the closest event.

We also need to relearn how to get the family out of the front door early enough on a Saturday morning. Seems awfully early leaving today, but would have been at the parkrun destination and doing warm-ups by that time a year and a half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

Great to be back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Great to be running parkrun again this morning. Just the same as before, the very minor tweaks you'd not notice unless really looking for them. Despite predictions of local events being overrun by hordes of Welsh invaders that never materialised and most seemed to be down about 50% on pre pandemic numbers, even with a last minute cancellation on the morning by one of the local events due to the weather.

The threat of rain was probably enough to keep numbers down in area, but not seen anything much across England to suggest anywhere was getting anything other than normal expected crowds at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Great to hear. Surprised some were down as much as 50%. What were the 'minor tweaks'?

Just things like extending the finish funnel and extra scanners at the event I did.

Some will have also had minor changes to start finish point, and another of my local events changed to using their simpler 3 lap course that doesn't have any pinch points that their strange 2.5 lapper does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Similar news here, from Cannonhill, one of the larger events in UK (usually 700+, up to 1000 on some ridiculous days. but its well able for it as its mostly very wide paths) we had 480 runners, and lots of very positive smiling volunteers.

Decided to do the first one back with out the boy and buggy, as im not sure he will actually fit in it, and I was running a bit behind schedule (like you said Robin, it used to be such a streamlined process.....although we do have an extra baby to feed etc since the last event in March 2020, so its all practice!)

Was great to be back, just felt so good to see some folks, both that i know, and dont know for first time in 18 months, everyone was very sensible as far as I can see, even the realistic starting positions seemed to be heeded more than previously, although that may be down to the few hundred less runners filling up the paddock!

Roll on next week 😎

The lining up at the start at the event I went to has always been a little odd at the front, in that it used to be me with the buggy and a couple of over optimistic people with their toes (front wheel) on the line and then the guys who would actually fill the first few places all stand around having a natter a couple of meters behind at the start. The regulars knew full well why I was at the front with the buggy and that I'd be out of their way within seconds and was the best place for me to be.

This week though, without the buggy, and still the super speedy guys who would be about to get the top spots were still hung around a few meters back having a chat. It's kind of unique to that event the way they line up in the first few rows and always surprises me when I'm there.

Anyway, further back it would normally all be pretty packed together, but I checked with Mrs robinph about the crowding back in the pack and everyone was apparently fairly spread out in the start. When I was lapping people on my last lap there was noticeably less people overtaking each other at the same time as the leaders were going through, so presumably more people had actually started at better positioning than normal. How long that will last for though is anyone's guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Parkrun junior (ie) back August 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

From looking at the volunteer rosters for a couple of events the columns for 15th August are currently blank and not pre-filled with the "no event" text. It's not conclusive proof, but if you see any volunteer names appear in that column it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kalych

Seen ads on Facebook for volunteers for Ballyogan junior parkrun last week. Didn't take a screen grab, but definitely seems like something is stirring.

With any luck they have got some further clarification on this line "Outdoor organised events can take place with up to 200 people in attendance."

That limit should allow for most junior events, as long as parents are not counted separately from the kids taking part, and along with the reduction in age group to 4-10 year olds they may have convinced the powers that be the benefits of getting kids active, and the negatives if they were to then take action against a bunch of 4 year olds going for a run around a park because there was a total of 201 people rather than 199.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Rockfield in Artane did a shout out on facebook announcing that they were starting again on 15th a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure if all are coming back or just some. I haven't heard that St Anne's are starting again or not, for example, so maybe depends on park/council/run teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The Castlebar Junior Parkrun have a few posts on it confirming above about the 4-10 year old's, etc. https://www.facebook.com/loughlannaghjuniorparkrun/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Holywell Junior parkrun also have a post about a proposed date for a return of junior parkrun on the 15th August - https://www.facebook.com/Holywell-junior-parkrun-294159044434637/

I'm surprised that there is nothing official per se from parkrun itself. Perhaps it's not fully signed off or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Official announcement of the Junior parkrun return on August 15th for children aged 4 - 10 here

It also says the adult runs are on hold due to the Government's current 500 participants limit

https://blog.parkrun.com/ie/2021/07/28/ireland-covid-19-coronavirus-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

I'd imagine that means the clock is ticking for the 5k events also, hopefully anyway.

• Advertisement

The latest Free Weekly Timed podcast mentioned parkrun Irelands potential return. No dates mentioned, but did sound hopeful that they are expecting some movement in nailing down at what point in the restrictions they will be able to restart and to have an answer on that in a couple of weeks.

Ireland is now one of only 5 parkrun territories that don't have any 5km events back, or even a start date yet. The others I think being Eswatani, Namibia, Malaysia and Singapore which all have some combination of very poor vaccine rollout, or incredibly limiting social distancing limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭py

Did many junior parkrun start back today? Our local one has did they're coming back in September.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought Rockfield was back today as they announced it some weeks back. Unfortunately I missed the change of mind announcement that issued since then until I checked late last night. Disappointed kids this morning but will build it up again for the 29th August which is the new restart date.

From the Elliot Line stats post there were 7 junior events in Ireland today.

"In Ireland there were 7 junior events, 289 parkrunners, (of which 73 were recording their first parkrun), and 112 volunteers,"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

No news on the return of full park runs yet?

I think the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Rumours of the 11th of September floating around.

Seems a bit soon No? They will need a lot more lead time than a couple of weeks I would have thought

NI junior events restarted with around 24 hours notice, and they have restarted Wales and Scotland with only a couple of weeks after knowing dates from government about when they could start.

England was an oddity compared to most other territories because of size of parkrun, but since that restart they are less concerned about risks of crowding or needing high numbers of events returning at the same time.

Once they have permission I'd expect them to move quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great news, only 2 weeks to go 🤗

Advertisement