Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 - 1.4TFSI vs 2.0 TDI

Options
  • 06-07-2021 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭

I’m in the market for a 2018/2019 A4, originally I had planned on bringing one in from the north but I think it’s more hassle than it’s worth. The problem is the choice in Ireland is poor at the moment. I’ve checked everywhere for a suitable A4 - basically anything that isn’t a 122bhp or has 100k+ on the clock.

I see an awful lot of 1.4TFSI models on the market and they’re all 150bhp. Am I crazy to think about picking one of these up? What is the fuel consumption like? And basically what are the main differences between the performance of a 1.4 petrol vs 2.0 tdi? I was in the main Audi dealer yesterday and he had one of each. He tried everything to get me to buy one of them, he didn’t care which one he just wanted the sale.

Comments

Motivator wrote: »
    I’m in the market for a 2018/2019 A4, originally I had planned on bringing one in from the north but I think it’s more hassle than it’s worth. The problem is the choice in Ireland is poor at the moment. I’ve checked everywhere for a suitable A4 - basically anything that isn’t a 122bhp or has 100k+ on the clock.

I see an awful lot of 1.4TFSI models on the market and they’re all 150bhp. Am I crazy to think about picking one of these up? What is the fuel consumption like? And basically what are the main differences between the performance of a 1.4 petrol vs 2.0 tdi? I was in the main Audi dealer yesterday and he had one of each. He tried everything to get me to buy one of them, he didn’t care which one he just wanted the sale.

I have a 120bhp estate a few years older than yours and going through the gears there's plenty of poke with 2 adults and 3 dogs. It's 5th to 6th gear I really notice it needing a bit more power.

In terms of the differences you'd need to give more info in what mileage you do etc. But if you do lower mileage the consensus on this forum is to go petrol however I've done the opposite and once a week give the car a good spin on the motorway to clear the DPF

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on your driving style and mileage. No point in even thinking of a diesel if your doing alot of short journeys or city driving. Equally a diesel will be more fuel efficient if you are doing more long journeys than short ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I see an awful lot of 1.4TFSI models on the market and they’re all 150bhp. Am I crazy to think about picking one of these up?

Crazy? Far from it. It's a great engine (we have two in the family). Quick, refined and very frugal, I'm getting around 6.5l per 100km. For average mileage I'd take it over a diesel all day long.

I owned the 120bhp 1.4 engine that preceded this one, that was chain driven and prone to stretching, this one is belt so no problems there.

Drive one, you'll be happily surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Down to your mileage.

Petrol up to 20 or 25k annually

Diesel above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Thanks very much for the feedback. I suppose it’s just a familiarity I have with bigger cars needing to be diesel for fuel consumption etc. But I don’t know enough about cars. A4s and Passats are big, heavy cars that’s why I always just thought they were better suited to diesel but like I said, it’s probably just that I’ve always driven a diesel.

A 1.4 petrol with a 150bhp engine would be like a rocket and in my mind I’d be having to fill it up every two days. I’m not doing crazy mileage now that I’m working from home but when I was in the office I was probably doing 500km a week. Would this change your opinions on whether I’d need a petrol or diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Water2626262

Thanks very much for the feedback. I suppose it’s just a familiarity I have with bigger cars needing to be diesel for fuel consumption etc. But I don’t know enough about cars. A4s and Passats are big, heavy cars that’s why I always just thought they were better suited to diesel but like I said, it’s probably just that I’ve always driven a diesel.

A 1.4 petrol with a 150bhp engine would be like a rocket and in my mind I’d be having to fill it up every two days. I’m not doing crazy mileage now that I’m working from home but when I was in the office I was probably doing 500km a week. Would this change your opinions on whether I’d need a petrol or diesel?

Not sure about that Audi engine but the petrol should have much longer service intervals as well as no Dpf and adblue woes. If you think it’s a rocket I’d say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Not sure about that Audi engine but the petrol should have much longer service intervals as well as no Dpf and adblue woes. If you think it’s a rocket I’d say go for it.
    I bought a 2018 A4 150 bhp in December.Windsor had a good number of them imported from England.Mine had full Audi history and just 17 k km.I have been really delighted with it .Very smooth and economy excellent-on my motorway journeys every 3 weeks or so it averages 52 mpg and 42-45 mpg around town.Great pick up and much livelier than my trade in of 1.6 diesel passat.Highly recommend unless you are doing 30-40 k km per year.In great demand so no problem in future values when trading in

Advertisement