Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a construction site manager

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 46 Verified rep I'm a Site Manager, AMA

Im doing a follow up snag in the next while.

If all windows/doors and the usual surface checks seem alright, what would your expertise suggest i go over that people usually wouldn't think to check

party walls missing fire proofing/incomplete block up above bottom of truss

mfceiling wrote: »
    What's your honest opinion on health and safety?
    In my opinion it has gone completely overboard on large projects (I'm a ceiling fixer and I'm genuinely finished with large commercial/industrial projects).
    Final straw was an argument with a health and safety officer 2 years ago who when asked why we had no hot water to wash our hands and no area for changing clothes, kept replying with "have you filled out your ladder permits yet?"

An influx of "kids" out of college with zero site experience so everything must be done "by the book". As opposed to older guys who understand there occasionally must be some leeway within reason.

H&S is needed but can be very over the top when common sense will do (i know common sense isn't that common anymore). Depends on the personality of the H&S officer, I have shouting matches myself on a monthly basis with them. There is a balance to be struck but is rarely achieved. It is liability arse covering these days. Podium ladders, worst invention ever IMO but the stats show less accidents since they came in so I cant really argue.

You have to supply the lads with the basics to work and hot water is a very small request in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not too bad, we are fairly well secured but we have a few young lads come in over the weekends the odd time. Once the camera alarms sound they leave, and our security company shows up usually within 10 minutes. i think they come in to set off the alarm and wait outside until security gets here for the craic. Nothing ever stolen from this job yet anyway.

Tks, any experience with protection rackets?

Tks, any experience with protection rackets?

As in Tony Soprano type stuff?

I worked on a social housing scheme for settled itinerants and we had one of them on overnight/weekend security. We came in one Monday and the houses were spotted with men/woman/kids everywhere wrecked from drink as they had a big wake, no real damage of any note. My boss fired the security and when we came in Tuesday walls had been pulled down, dumpers and diggers overturned! These were houses that were receiving final finish/snags.

He got his job back on Tuesday afternoon.

BigLoser wrote: »
    Why do new housing developments get so delayed?

Any number of reasons. Material/Labour shortage, redesign/value engineering or could be the developer doesn't want to release them as the prices could rise. Trades not completing on time.

For instance, the block laying takes 2 days longer than schedule which in turn knocks the scaffolder back but he cant come on the new date so 2 more days are lost. The trusses are a day late and the carpenters are a day longer installing than allowed in schedule. This wouldn't be an uncommon occurrence, say that happens on 40% of the houses and it adds up at the end which pushes everything out.

• Advertisement

hottipper wrote: »
    would something like this work in ireland to speed up the process or is it mainly 2nd / 3rd phases where the delays are
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ino8oz189fw

Looks class, would love to work on something like that. Delays can happen at any stage of the build but always condenses the finishing phase as a result.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Good to see a construction manager realising the value of us QS's!!.

QSs break my heart but if it doesn't make money then yer neck is on the line Took me a long time to find that balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Any thoughts on the Mica issue in Donegal? is it common for suppliers to try and offer substandard material

dinorebel wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the Mica issue in Donegal? is it common for suppliers to try and offer substandard material

Only know what I see on the news.

It's a disgrace, should never have happened. The suppliers should foot the bill but they are probably gone under. those families should be bailed out by the government, I would have no bother with that but those responsible should be chased and chased to pay for it.

Everything used on sites these days come with certs to say they are fit for purpose. And I mean everything, but all a cert is is a letter from the supplier/manufacturer to say the product is made correctly and fit for purpose, isnt worth the paper its on if its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Are you a Barrys or a Lyons man? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

How did you start off as a site manager?
    It was something I was thinking of going into after the last crash after getting badly stung ,coming from a shuttering chippy and steel fixing background I would be looking at going down the RC frames route. I'm out of the game since the last crash and tried a few others things since, but always likes the construction game and keep getting drawing back to it no matter how many times I swear I wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Do you think the state can dramatically increase the construction of houses if the gov spent more, or is the sector at maximum capacity now? Is there a bottle neck eg, materials, workers, developers? Thanks for answering all our questions!

Are you a Barrys or a Lyons man? :)

Barrys, no question!;)

mgn wrote: »
    How did you start off as a site manager?
    It was something I was thinking of going into after the last crash after getting badly stung ,coming from a shuttering chippy and steel fixing background I would be looking at going down the RC frames route. I'm out of the game since the last crash and tried a few others things since, but always likes the construction game and keep getting drawing back to it no matter how many times I swear I wont.

When I was a subbie I was looking after a lot of men so it was the natural root really. when I moved to Canada I got my first job as SM for a fit out company and just snowballed from there, swore I'd never leave fit out and get into large scale but sometimes you have no choice only whatever way the work is going!

RC foreman are in big enough demand from what I can gather, steelfixing and formwork isn't as easy as everyone thinks as you know. Make inquiries anyway if you want to get back in. no other industry like it IMO!

Do you think the state can dramatically increase the construction of houses if the gov spent more, or is the sector at maximum capacity now? Is there a bottle neck eg, materials, workers, developers? Thanks for answering all our questions!

We are at a bottleneck now I reckon but they should keep lining housing schemes up because I think there is a slow down on the way and social housing will take off big time. The price rises are unsustainable at the moment! It'll be two generational mortgages next for the non elite!

When I was a subbie I was looking after a lot of men so it was the natural root really. when I moved to Canada I got my first job as SM for a fit out company and just snowballed from there, swore I'd never leave fit out and get into large scale but sometimes you have no choice only whatever way the work is going!

RC foreman are in big enough demand from what I can gather, steelfixing and formwork isn't as easy as everyone thinks as you know. Make inquiries anyway if you want to get back in. no other industry like it IMO!

I was a subbie also, always the first to get caught when things go wrong, yet the big companies walk away and set up again with a different name.
    Thanks for doing AMA, interesting to see what's going on now.

mgn wrote: »
    I was a subbie also, always the first to get caught when things go wrong, yet the big companies walk away and set up again with a different name.
    Thanks for doing AMA, interesting to see what's going on now.

ya subbies are always the first to take the hit and last to be paid if anything is left after companies go wallop! Did you take a big hit in the crash? I got off lucky I was only caught for 14500. some of my buddies were caught for the price of a semi D

Barrys, no question!;)

this is where boards refusal to put a 'dislike' button in place starts to sting badly

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

I'd imagine it's a workers' market right now and good labourers can afford to be choosey on which crews they commit to.

What qualities would a team lead (subcontractor?) need to be implementing to ensure lads stay committed to them. I'd say at this stage the highest level ensembles must be getting cash up front or other sweeteners?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

I'd imagine having access to a hot food deli during a project is both a blessing and a curse.

Have you any favourite delis? What would you usually get if you're hitting the deli for lunch?

• Advertisement

ya subbies are always the first to take the hit and last to be paid if anything is left after companies go wallop! Did you take a big hit in the crash? I got off lucky I was only caught for 14500. some of my buddies were caught for the price of a semi D

Over a 100k, would have being a lot worse if it was a year or two earlier, knew a lot of lads that lost everything and had to emigrate like yourself.

I'm not surprised there is a shortage of workers now, most of the lads I knew left that time and never came back,

Physeter wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's a workers' market right now and good labourers can afford to be choosey on which crews they commit to.

What qualities would a team lead (subcontractor?) need to be implementing to ensure lads stay committed to them. I'd say at this stage the highest level ensembles must be getting cash up front or other sweeteners?

Ya its definitely a workers market and lads can be choosy. If a subby looks after lads and keeps work coming with good rates and is fair then there is not much else he can do to keep them. if they move they move!

As in Tony Soprano type stuff?

I worked on a social housing scheme for settled itinerants and we had one of them on overnight/weekend security. We came in one Monday and the houses were spotted with men/woman/kids everywhere wrecked from drink as they had a big wake, no real damage of any note. My boss fired the security and when we came in Tuesday walls had been pulled down, dumpers and diggers overturned! These were houses that were receiving final finish/snags.

He got his job back on Tuesday afternoon.

More this kind of thing, where sites are pressured to pay security (aka protection) to local thugs;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-city-council-paid-gangland-figures-to-stop-antisocial-attacks-cab-case-told-1.4044450

Is it common or widespread?

Or how about the rumours of the lads on site clubbing together a fiver each to pay off the clampers for not clamping the cars and vans around the site?

Physeter wrote: »
    I'd imagine having access to a hot food deli during a project is both a blessing and a curse.

Have you any favourite delis? What would you usually get if you're hitting the deli for lunch?

Absolute curse, these days I bring a packed lunch but the chicken roll is everyone's favourite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

How do you deal with site workers who are being rude to the public?

More this kind of thing, where sites are pressured to pay security (aka protection) to local thugs;
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-city-council-paid-gangland-figures-to-stop-antisocial-attacks-cab-case-told-1.4044450

Is it common or widespread?

Or how about the rumours of the lads on site clubbing together a fiver each to pay off the clampers for not clamping the cars and vans around the site?

Never came across anything like that to be fair. There is always a parking attendant scout that alerts everyone when he is lurking

cloudatlas wrote: »
    How do you deal with site workers who are being rude to the public?

If he works for a subbie then just ring his boss and tell him not to send him back to site. Bit more complicated if he's a direct employee, verbal/written/final etc.

There is always a parking attendant scout that alerts everyone when he is lurking
    Thanks, so what can they do when alerted - drop everything and run back and move the vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Favourite pranks on-site?
    .... when that type of thing used to be allowed and nobody gave a fiddlers.

• Advertisement

So you are it long enough to have been around for the celtic tiger and follow-on bust period.

Do you feel we're boomin' all over again. Do you reckon there's a property bubble getting ready to pop, or are people just being a bit simplistic about it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement