Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop Advice

• 06-07-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Looking for a laptop for general use along with movies,coding and some light gaming ( skyrim, gta v etc) at decent framrate at medium graphic settings.

Looking for 14-17 inch screen size and preferably a m.2. ssd to make it run as fast as possible. Main prority is build quality as I don't want to upgrade for another 5 or 6 years.

My budget is 850ish and I've found this for 880 on Lenovo's site but not sure if it's overkill since gaming isn't my main focus: https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/ieeducation/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Legion-5i-17/p/82B3006BUK

Any more knowledgable opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

the acer nitro 5 here is a better value option at either the 4600h + 1650 or the i7 10750h + 1660ti configs
    680£ or £799

4600h is a lot more powerful than the i5 h cpu and the 1660ti is a step up from the 1650 gpu

screen is good on either option

if you are really after only older games like you say then the acer swift 3 with 11th gen i5 in other threads is a good bet
    you will find the details if you look in recent threads - 680 euro it comes out at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

glasso wrote: »
    the acer nitro 5 here is a better value option at either the 4600h + 1650 or the i7 10750h + 1660ti configs
    680£ or £799

4600h is a lot more powerful than the i5 h cpu and the 1660ti is a step up from the 1650 gpu

screen is good on either option

if you are really after only older games like you say then the acer swift 3 with 11th gen i5 in other threads is a good bet
    you will find the details if you look in recent threads - 680 euro it comes out at

Yeah the games will played will be old as it'll only be used gaming while traveling which isn't often.

Do you think it would be worth it to go for this one due to the higher resolution ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Swift-SF313-53-13-5-Laptop/dp/B08NCKYDSR/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=qhd%2Blaptop&qid=1625585825&sr=8-12&th=1

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Yeah the games will played will be old as it'll only be used gaming while traveling which isn't often.

Do you think it would be worth it to go for this one due to the higher resolution ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Swift-SF313-53-13-5-Laptop/dp/B08NCKYDSR/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=qhd%2Blaptop&qid=1625585825&sr=8-12&th=1

That's more about the aspect ratio 3:2

It's better for productivity tasks due to extra vertical space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Gyan84

glasso wrote: »
    That's more about the aspect ratio 3:2

It's better for productivity tasks due to extra vertical space

Yeah that acer swift 3 would be perfect but 13.5 inch is too small for me.

Since gaming would be more of an afterthought would it make sense to invenst in a laptop with a better screen for movies/productivity at the expense of gaming ?

the non 3:2 verrsion is 14 inch

links for acer.ie in other threads

get a discount via unidays or studentbeans (anyone with a 2nd-level or 3rd-level email address)

• Advertisement
Advertisement