Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extension query

• 05-07-2021 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi folks,

We are considering adding a small rear extension to the back of our home. The primary motivation as a kind of sun/reading room with a better view of the garden than we currently have with current configuration. Its a 10 year old house in a small estate in the west and the extension would be a simple 4M X 5m approx. Foundation, 3 walls, 2 windows and either sliding of bifold doors, dormer windows or a roof light. I have a number of queries I hope some of the experts on here could help me with?! Thanks.
    • I know its planning exempt but to be compliant with the current regulations do I need an engineer designing and signing off on the work or can a builder sign off himself?
    • A neighbour got a similar job done and they had no architect or engineer, just a builder who gave them an outline they were happy with and fired it up, looks well, but if they went to sell their house would it be an issue I wonder?
    • Our house is a dormer style so one story basically at the rear, is a flat roof the way to go? On this page https://selfbuild.ie/advice/planning-permission-extensions/ if I am reading it right the walls of the extension (right up to the apex of the extension gable?) cannot exceed the height of the rear wall which is just over 10ft. Does that rule out a pitched roof option?
    • The rear of the house is south facing, any tips to avoid making the existing kitchen darker apart from the obvious of good sized windows, glass doors and dormer windows in the extension? The extension would be where the existing patio door is now, it will only go across part of the rear width leaving existing kitchen window where it is so i'm thinking shouldn't be too bad.
    • Would you recommend an architect for a small extension like this?

I have had provisional talks with a builder friend who said only its straight forward with the only semi tricky bit moving a sewer access cover a few feet so its not covered over.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When you go to sell, where will you get the cert for the buyers that confirms it’s compliant with building regs and satisfies the exempted development criteria?

Don’t take planning advice from a builder is my advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Also check the original planning permission for the estate that you can extend the house with obtaining planning permission.

In some newer estates, because they are often tightly/densely planned/laid out, there is sometimes a condition in the original planning permission limiting future exempt development/that any future extensions (irrespective of size) require planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Gumbo wrote: »
    When you go to sell, where will you get the cert for the buyers that confirms it’s compliant with building regs and satisfies the exempted development criteria?

Don’t take planning advice from a builder is my advice.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I don't intend to take the planning advice at face value hence I'm doing my research. In order to have said cert if I am ever selling what is the proper process?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Also check the original planning permission for the estate that you can extend the house with obtaining planning permission.

In some newer estates, because they are often tightly/densely planned/laid out, there is sometimes a condition in the original planning permission limiting future exempt development/that any future extensions (irrespective of size) require planning permission.

Thanks I never heard of that so I will find out. I hope for my neighbours sake that's not the case!

Can I find this info on the county council website I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Can I find this info on the county council website I wonder?

If the original planning permission for the estate is online it would be in the planning permission conditions (...or may not be if not conditioned). Certainly would not be uncommon for newer estates in Dublin.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I don't intend to take the planning advice at face value hence I'm doing my research. In order to have said cert if I am ever selling what is the proper process?

Engage an engineer or architect or surveyor before the works start.

If the original planning permission for the estate is online it would be in the planning permission conditions (...or may not be if not conditioned). Certainly would not be uncommon for newer estates in Dublin.

Thanks. Had a look and can't see anything about it. Our estate is very spacious compared to many, about 5 metres minimum between neighbours and all detached, good sized gardens. Might ring the planning office just to be sure.

Thanks. Had a look and can't see anything about it. Our estate is very spacious compared to many, about 5 metres minimum between neighbours and all detached, good sized gardens. Might ring the planning office just to be sure.

This is something the professional will check also to make sure the cert they are giving actually stands up.

Advertisement