Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible for an American to rent in Northern Ireland, but work in the Republic?

Options
  • 04-07-2021 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I was wondering if it is possible for an American to rent a place in Northern Ireland, but commute to work to the Republic daily with only an Irish work permit and IRB card without any British/UK paperwork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I don't know about the legalities of doing that, but your employer isn't going to be happy if they have to set up a UK payroll just for you if you're the only employee they have living in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Jlayay wrote: »
    I was wondering if it is possible for an American to rent a place in Northern Ireland, but commute to work to the Republic daily with only an Irish work permit and IRB card without any British/UK paperwork?
    According to the info in this link, you can't. But it's more a general info. For certain nationalities rules can differ, based on the special agreements with separate countries.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Frequently+asked+questions

Another problem is that if you decide to stay in Ireland for longer and later reapply for a new visa, you'll have troubles providing a proof of the ROI address because your bank statements, bills and even payslip would be in the NI address only.

Just a quick reminder: when you travel to NI, you must hold an ID card (if your state's ID is an international document) or passport, in case Police stops you. There's no hard board yet, but even before Brexit this requirement was in place (most of people ignored it, though, as it wasn't enforced).

I doubt that, as a US citizen, you can hold a permission to live in one EU country, but live in a non-EU country.

There's only a small possibility, if there's a special agreement between ROI and NI/GB.

Try to use an Internet search and look up on both, ROI and UK governmental websites. Irish citizen information centre website is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jlayay wrote: »

You won't be able to rent in Northern Ireland without a National Insurance number. So you'd need to have a residence visa for the UK and work work visa for Ireland to do this, which is highly unlikely since you'll struggle to get a UK visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Del2005 wrote: »
    You won't be able to rent in Northern Ireland without a National Insurance number. So you'd need to have a residence visa for the UK and work work visa for Ireland to do this, which is highly unlikely since you'll struggle to get a UK visa.

This is the problem, you have no visa to live in the UK.

However, in practical terms if you have an address in the ROI as your residence then you can spend all your time in NI as a visitor. Be careful with your car though, if you drive a NI car then the Irish Revenue could seize it if they believe that you are resident in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Why not just rent a place in the Republic? I assume that the work is in the border area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement