Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a construction site manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

Probably a lot smaller of a job than you are used to, but currently at the very early stages of building a house on a greenfield site in the country, getting plans for it done this week.

Have you any advice or insider tips on building on a green field site, and would you recommend a chat with a quantity surveyor to get a true estimate of what it will cost?

• Company Representative Posts: 46 Verified rep I'm a Site Manager, AMA

Probably a lot smaller of a job than you are used to, but currently at the very early stages of building a house on a greenfield site in the country, getting plans for it done this week.

Have you any advice or insider tips on building on a green field site, and would you recommend a chat with a quantity surveyor to get a true estimate of what it will cost?

I would definitely recommend a proper chat with your QS. I would wait to build a house if it was me because labour and materials are still very expensive, but saying that they may never come down to a level that would be worth waiting for.

Drainage, make sure this is done correctly around the house and in the garden I have seen this done wrong a lot. Don't be afraid to be firm with your builder if your not getting what you want, he is your subbie at the end of the day and although temporarily you pay his wages.

Other than that enjoy the ride, it will be worth it when your moved in!:)

Most of us are clueless about how to go about construction jobs or what the options are. For most of us when asking builders about this sort of thing most of it goes over our heads. Is there a resource (book/website/ect) where we could look to become more knowledgeable about various residential house construction issues before having the chat with a builder?

I know the question is coming across vague and rambling but that is the issue I'm looking to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whatnow! wrote: »
    Most of us are clueless about how to go about construction jobs or what the options are. For most of us when asking builders about this sort of thing most of it goes over our heads. Is there a resource (book/website/ect) where we could look to become more knowledgeable about various residential house construction issues before having the chat with a builder?

I know the question is coming across vague and rambling but that is the issue I'm looking to address.

not sure are us normal folk allowed to answer

but the home bond book is great for that kind of things. especially for the older spec building methods. mine is a few years old so doesnt include newer stuff like air tightness and heat recovery much

• Advertisement

In your opinion, what have been the best and worst construction projects in Dublin within the last 50 years? And what sets them aside for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

What's your opinion on these 'flat pack' type houses (I can't remember the exact name of them, so apologies) normally sold and imported from the likes of Germany and ready to move in a few days. Do you think this is something that could take off here in Ireland or has it already? Would the climate here be a barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

I'm a qualified plumber in Dublin looking for a start.any jobs going ??

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

What is your view on the environmental regulations you have to follow on site? Specifically things like protection of water quality, preventing contamination of watercourses, awareness of invasive plant species? Are they widely adhered to or kind of ignored? Do construction workers generally want to follow them, or is it just something they need to do and a bit of a pain? Any difference between the managers/higher ups and the typical workers on the ground?

Thanks for giving your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭celt262

Have you ever been sent for a long stand?

• Advertisement

whatnow! wrote: »

try get your hands on one, wealth of info in them. turner is spot on

In your opinion, what have been the best and worst construction projects in Dublin within the last 50 years? And what sets them aside for you?

I'm based in Munster and I don't really keep to close an eye on what has/is being built in Dublin. sorry!

job seeker wrote: »
    What's your opinion on these 'flat pack' type houses (I can't remember the exact name of them, so apologies) normally sold and imported from the likes of Germany and ready to move in a few days. Do you think this is something that could take off here in Ireland or has it already? Would the climate here be a barrier?

I have only seen one done about 15 years ago, they had the house stood and ready for final decoration in the same time I roofed the one next door. Didn't get a close look but the owner was very happy with the crew and house.

I know log cabins as houses/homes and the like have trouble getting through planning so I wonder would these be the same?

Definitely think it could take off like timber frame if the costs are affordable. Construction is gearing towards off site construction IMO.

I'm a qualified plumber in Dublin looking for a start.any jobs going ??

I'm Munster based, surely they are screaming out for plumbers up there like the rest of us?

Conchir wrote: »
    What is your view on the environmental regulations you have to follow on site? Specifically things like protection of water quality, preventing contamination of watercourses, awareness of invasive plant species? Are they widely adhered to or kind of ignored? Do construction workers generally want to follow them, or is it just something they need to do and a bit of a pain? Any difference between the managers/higher ups and the typical workers on the ground?

Thanks for giving your time!

The environment impact report is done generally at planning stage so I wouldn't get involved until we got to site. The contracts and project managers look after it until then.

We do take it seriously because if we get a bad rep with the EPA they would never leave us alone. The motivation should be to protect our planet but unfortunately it's money driven, EPA could shut you down if you are non compliant and cost a fortune in delays etc.

celt262 wrote: »
    Have you ever been sent for a long stand?

I have indeed:o, never found it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭black & white

Is there a security/protection racket issue around the country on sites ?

Is there a security/protection racket issue around the country on sites ?

Not too bad, we are fairly well secured but we have a few young lads come in over the weekends the odd time. Once the camera alarms sound they leave, and our security company shows up usually within 10 minutes. i think they come in to set off the alarm and wait outside until security gets here for the craic. Nothing ever stolen from this job yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BigLoser

Why do new housing developments get so delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

would something like this work in ireland to speed up the process or is it mainly 2nd / 3rd phases where the delays are
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ino8oz189fw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I would definitely recommend a proper chat with your QS. I would wait to build a house if it was me because labour and materials are still very expensive, but saying that they may never come down to a level that would be worth waiting for.

Drainage, make sure this is done correctly around the house and in the garden I have seen this done wrong a lot. Don't be afraid to be firm with your builder if your not getting what you want, he is your subbie at the end of the day and although temporarily you pay his wages.

Other than that enjoy the ride, it will be worth it when your moved in!:)

Good to see a construction manager realising the value of us QS's!!.

Im doing a follow up snag in the next while.

If all windows/doors and the usual surface checks seem alright, what would your expertise suggest i go over that people usually wouldnt think to check

try get your hands on one, wealth of info in them. turner is spot on

There is the 8th edition that will be coming out at some stage which is why its out of print I assume, I'll check back on there in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

The large Cherrywood site, saw a group of about 10-15 guys all holding large blue flags and chatting away... I'm assuming these are banksmen of some sort... am I right?

There are bricklayers on strike in cherrywood, could be connected to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

I see you mentioned timber frame over block. what are your opinions on SIP/ICF builds (if you have any)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

What does a site manager do, what does your typical day or typical project look like? Are you office based or would you be out on sites a lot?

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    I see you mentioned timber frame over block. what are your opinions on SIP/ICF builds (if you have any)

I have zero experience with SIP/ICF. From what I see on TV/online SIP looks like a very good set up. Don't really know anything about ICF, sorry. Most of my jobs are traditional poured concrete with the odd element of precast for staircores/building links etc.

miamee wrote: »
    What does a site manager do, what does your typical day or typical project look like? Are you office based or would you be out on sites a lot?

Typical day is

Get to site around 6.30am drink tea while answering any emails that came in yesterday evening. Walk the site in full before 7.30am and make notes of anything i see that needs to be addressed.

Whiteboard meeting at 8am with all the trades foreman to plan out the day, has become more a covid coordination meeting of late.

9-10am walking the site. 10am tea.

10-1pm a mixture off emails, meetings and walking the site.

1pm tea. 1.30- 4pm mixture of meetings/site walks and dealing with any queries from trades of which there is always alot.

4-5pm fill out the site diary and answer/send emails.

Hopefully on the road for 5pm but rarely happens when structure is ongoing, usually when finishing is ongoing you get away on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What's your honest opinion on health and safety?
    In my opinion it has gone completely overboard on large projects (I'm a ceiling fixer and I'm genuinely finished with large commercial/industrial projects).
    Final straw was an argument with a health and safety officer 2 years ago who when asked why we had no hot water to wash our hands and no area for changing clothes, kept replying with "have you filled out your ladder permits yet?"

An influx of "kids" out of college with zero site experience so everything must be done "by the book". As opposed to older guys who understand there occasionally must be some leeway within reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

mfceiling wrote: »
    " An influx of "kids" out of college with zero site experience so everything must be done "by the book". As opposed to older guys who understand there occasionally must be some leeway within reason.

just to jump in on that, the problem here is that one person's 'within reason' could be alot more lenient than another person's......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement