Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel or Hybrid

Options
  • 05-07-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭

Hoping to get a car with better mpg than my 08 petrol focus, looking at 09-11 years, Im unsure on a hybrid or Diesel so hoping you guys with better knowledge could help. My weekly driving is as follows.

Monday to Thursday 4 5-15 minute drives, the odd drive from Tallaght to Coolock and back.

Friday and Sunday Tallaght to Coolock and back on the M50.

Saturday can depend from short trips locally to days out in Wicklow or Meath etc.

What would suit my driving best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Whats the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Whats the budget?

3k plus trade in but might put more money towards it, so 4-4.5k in total, its only a runaround so I dont want to spend too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You'll be a long time making it work financially for yourself. Don't do it just to save money because I can't see it happening.
    If you want to change cars for other reasons then do it but not for fuel costs.
    If your car is in good shape I'd stay with what you have if it's a financial incentive you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

3k buys you a good bit of fuel for a car you know the history of versus a 9 or 10 year old car you know nothing about. Unless you have a bigger budget then I don't see much point to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭User1998

You don’t seem to do a lot of driving? If you drive 10,000 km a year you’ll only save about €300 to €350 a year switching to a diesel or hybrid

Assuming your consuming 9l/100km now and decreasing to 7l/100km

• Advertisement

Focus is at 23mpg right now, its never been great on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭User1998

You won’t get great mpg from any car driving with a cold engine on short journeys. You would probably save a bit on fuel switching to diesel but then you have DPF and other potential problems which will likely outweigh the savings on fuel.

If you really want to change cars I’d say have a look at hybrids such as the Toyota Prius, that would suit your driving and give you good reliability, good MPG and cheap tax.

But I wouldn’t go changing just to save a few hundred every yea on fuel, only do it if you really want to change cars. Your going to get fleeced trading your car into a dealers. Better to sell private and buy private in this situation

User1998 wrote: »
    You won’t get great mpg from any car driving with a cold engine on short journeys. You would probably save a bit on fuel switching to diesel but then you have DPF and other potential problems which will likely outweigh the savings on fuel.

If you really want to change cars I’d say have a look at hybrids such as the Toyota Prius, that would suit your driving and give you good reliability, good MPG and cheap tax.

But I wouldn’t go changing just to save a few hundred every yea on fuel, only do it if you really want to change cars. Your going to get fleeced trading your car into a dealers. Better to sell private and buy private in this situation

Ive had to the car a few years now and want to trade up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Are you sure all the segments on the LED display are functional…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

May i suggest a bloody good service a decarbonation clean of the engine.
    Check your tire psi is correct.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are you sure all the segments on the LED display are functional…

Yep its gone from 520 kms on a full tank to 470

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    May i suggest a bloody good service a decarbonation clean of the engine.
    Check your tire psi is correct.

Tyres are always checked, funnily enough the mpg has been steadily getting worse since its service in October.

Advertisement