Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

History check

Options
  • 05-07-2021 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi, I'm buying a 6 year old car off independent dealer. All seems legit but wondering what is the best site to do a quick history check before I finalise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cartell or Motorcheck.ie, have used both similar style result on both. Main things you want to see are if it's a write off, periods car was in/out of tax/NCT, any mileage discrepencies and whether there's finance outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 morrispetez

I would suggest rapidcarcheck.co.uk. Recently, my wife purchased a used car that is 3 year old and asked me for anything to look out for before buying the car. I told her to check its history first on that site. Its very reliable source. Everything that you could have known about the car is right there on that website. You can message me if you want a spare code from the bulk pack I purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not much good for an Irish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

What's the point checking a gap of Road Tax payments on the car's history? I know, it comes as standard on these checks but not sure what a gap on this really means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭User1998

I could indicate that the car was parked up or off the road. Not really important imo. Mileage discrepancies and damage are the two most important things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Car could have been unrecorded crashed and being passed around auctions to eventually get repaired during the period it wasn't taxed. Car could have been sitting on a driveway for 9 months with components seizing up and mould ingress. Generally if someone doesn't have the cash to have the car legally on the road they are unlikely to be keeping it maintained.

Advertisement