Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2019 | News and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

What are most of you playing on? Is anyone on the series X? Just wondering is it worth changing from PC as I’m in between GPUs

I have it on both series X and PC, but tbh the FOV (or lack of it) on console is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I have it on both series X and PC, but tbh the FOV (or lack of it) on console is a disaster.

Thanks. I was impressed with the fps on the series x but needed to hear from someone using it. The GPU hunt continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What are most of you playing on? Is anyone on the series X? Just wondering is it worth changing from PC as I’m in between GPUs

I'm playing on the Series X and I'm happy with it. But, I haven't ever played it on the PC so I've never seen the difference with the FOV!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Homelander

Thanks. I was impressed with the fps on the series x but needed to hear from someone using it. The GPU hunt continues!

The default FOV on PC and console are the same. You'll only notice a difference if you've actually set your FOV higher on PC yourself.

Personally I play on the default FOV on PC, so for me it would be identical.

Someone who plays at 110-120 FOV would have a harder time readjusting.

There's no "correct" FOV, it's whatever you're comfortable with and can play best on. But with console you have no option but the default 80.

Homelander wrote: »
    The default FOV on PC and console are the same. You'll only notice a difference if you've actually set your FOV higher on PC yourself.

Personally I play on the default FOV on PC, so for me it would be identical.

Someone who plays at 110-120 FOV would have a harder time readjusting.

There's no "correct" FOV, it's whatever you're comfortable with and can play best on. But with console you have no option but the default 80.
    True enough, but to be fair, if you don't take advantage of the wider fov, it's kind of pointless to be playing on pc. The FOV gives a significant edge when it comes to visibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I would have thought pc is better and the framerate alone would provide a significant advantage. Plus no matter how much people bang on about aim assist kb+m provides a significant advantage.
    As a console peasant this is what I tell myself to explain my poor play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Homelander

True enough, but to be fair, if you don't take advantage of the wider fov, it's kind of pointless to be playing on pc. The FOV gives a significant edge when it comes to visibility

You still have keyboard and mouse as well as higher frame rates in all games that are advantage enough really for a lot of people.

Higher FOV also requires better aim and tracking as the targets are considerably smaller due to the fish-eye effect.

It works for some people but it's far from universal, tons of PC players play on default or low FOV.

All I play is competitive shooters and in all of them I either use default FOV or slightly above average at high frame-rate. Would strongly disagree that there is "no point" if you're not playing at high FOV on PC.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I would have thought pc is better and the framerate alone would provide a significant advantage. Plus no matter how much people bang on about aim assist kb+m provides a significant advantage.
    As a console peasant this is what I tell myself to explain my poor play.

TBH, I dont think KB& M is that much of an advantage on WZ where the controller players have such strong aim assist. I'd be playing with controller, only for the fact that I actively forced myself to get better with mouse so that I could better keep up on other pc games that dont have as robust support for controllers.

You still have keyboard and mouse as well as higher frame rates in all games that are advantage enough really for a lot of people.

Higher FOV also requires better aim and tracking as the targets are considerably smaller due to the fish-eye effect.

It works for some people but it's far from universal, tons of PC players play on default or low FOV.

All I play is competitive shooters and in all of them I either use default FOV or slightly above average at high frame-rate. Would strongly disagree that there is "no point" if you're not playing at high FOV on PC.

We'll agree to disagree on this, but in my experience, the smaller target argument doesnt hold water, as you're sitting close to a monitor, as opposed to far away from a tv with an xbox.
    Similarly, the Time to Kill on Warzone is so quick, that generally, whoever gets the first shots landed wins an engagement, and if you're being shot at close range by someone slightly out of your field of view, then you're done for.
    I only run an FOV of 100 or so, but its enough to help see more of the gulag sightlines, without significant fish eye effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

They are all great points and for once a decent discussion on boards! So thanks.
    Basically I played at 90 FOV, maybe even high 80s sometimes.
    I use an elite controller so that’s no change.

I sold my 1080ti with the idea of upgrading, but the more I think about it the more crazy it seems to spend over 1000 euro on a GPU alone! If crypto drops there is a good chance the value of gpu will half.
    At least the Series X will be worth close to its price for another year.
    I read the Series X gets close to 120 fps on 1440.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

If you use a controller on a PC with a higher FOV the aim assist is incredibly strong. It's what a lot of top players use and from testing out various setups if you weren't playing with a wider FOV I think you would be gimping yourself needlessly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Doff wrote: »
    If you use a controller on a PC with a higher FOV the aim assist is incredibly strong. It's what a lot of top players use and from testing out various setups if you weren't playing with a wider FOV I think you would be gimping yourself needlessly.

I have recently ungimped myself and i concur.

PS5 controller now on pc.
    mostly cos I didn't want to learn how to use a mouse after 20years on ps controllers.

paw patrol wrote: »

mostly cos I didn't want to learn how to use a mouse after 20years on ps controllers.

This is the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

paw patrol wrote: »

Aim assist on the massive FOV is insane to be fair.

internet is dire at 1900
    gave up last night , ruined a rare empty house for me
    I wipe DNS cache and a reboot of router but f all - it's grand at lunch time.
    I'm on the max virgin broadband..

Kids moaned later that PS4 was dire too

not all time but happens at least once a week

any ideas?

I'm at an age where if something is going wrong with the internet outside of shaking the little white box I don't know what to do. I used to play COD on a wireless internet and when it rained I'd lose connection so things have improved.

My brother was banging on about an a gaming router the other day. It sounded complex but it might be something I need to investigate. The older I get the better equipment I need.

Do virgin throttle the internet if you're using a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Got nothing for you PP, sorry man.

@gimili my PC is hardwired in, so I can't imagine benefiting much. But out of curiosity which gaming routers work well with virgin?

I know nothing about this stuff. I assumed you just hook it up to the virgin box. This is the link he sent me. TBH what I need to do is a) get a PS5 and b) get a smaller tv or monitor and that should help me stay somewhat competitive for a few more years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWUiu-6pxk

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MurDawg

I use controller on pc at the minute, controller is goosed though - any recommendations for a new one?

MurDawg wrote: »
    I use controller on pc at the minute, controller is goosed though - any recommendations for a new one?

best controller by far (IMO) is either generation of the xbox elite controller.
    first gen can be problematic, but seriously the best gamepad i every owned.

• Advertisement

I'm at an age where if something is going wrong with the internet outside of shaking the little white box I don't know what to do. I used to play COD on a wireless internet and when it rained I'd lose connection so things have improved.

My brother was banging on about an a gaming router the other day. It sounded complex but it might be something I need to investigate. The older I get the better equipment I need.

not sure about what virgin do tbh? I must ask them.
    Tempted to get a gaming router
    Yeah I'm the same, slow internet and I give up now..:(

but played at lunch and was fine again.
    MurDawg wrote: »

Up till recently I used a ps4 controller on windows 10
    linked by cable or bluetooth via
    http://ds4windows.com/

worked great.

got ps5 controller recently and i'm using this
    https://www.x360ce.com/

to set up you are best searching youtube for setting - sorry can't rem video I used but plenty of them there.

on ps5 controller I found bluetooth isn't great but attached with a cable is very good so I invested in a special cable (Kontrolfreek) - be aware you need an A to C adapter to use on PS5 controller on that cable - but they are cheap as chips.

only switched cos ps4 controller was goosed

But if you are an xbox person I'd recommend them - they link to windows automatically.
    we are a PS house so gotta remain compatable cos the 3 kids game too.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Got nothing for you PP, sorry man.

@gimili my PC is hardwired in, so I can't imagine benefiting much. But out of curiosity which gaming routers work well with virgin?

couldn't fix it - we all quit games at weekend cos it was dire.
    did everything

rang virgin this morn. they rebooted from their end,
    tripled my download speed , had a quick game and it's great now.

frustrating but so far looks fixed

having a rough session yesterday, clipped a few deaths as I didn't know how I was dying, played some gunfight to calm down, drank some more which got the better of me and went back to WZ solos, stayed on the chopper to mop up easy kills, it's all I was able for.

Dude robbed a couple of kills but it was ok had the drop on him, easy kill. Apparently not and ended up in the gulag with 396 damage and no kills. Then something strange happened. Got out of the gulag but when I jumped back into Verdansk, I was awesome.

Following the circle in like a boss, engaging and breaking off gunfights, winning 1v1s, playing the final circle well and actually won a solo. Couldn't believe it. I wasn't prepared for the rush and almost passed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I’m a novice, getting destroyed. Think I managed 3 kills once, the extent of my murderous rampage. Not looking to master the game, would be happy with a few kills. Any tips, weapons etc pretty please.

Loadouts are real important. Having your guns fully levelled up and ready to go. A lot of this is trial and error and finding what you like.

The Blops weapons are superior to the MW ones which is a travesty tbh I fear for the future once the latest COD releases. I won two with my trusty old CR-AMX over the weekend so it still works, I basically refuse to use Blops guns although I'm currently ranking up the Farra which I understand is the new meta and it is good. The guns I use are the AMX, MP5 (MW) and the AS Val. Good but not the best. Well the Val is but only 30 bullets and not great at range.

I can't live without Ghost but many people will go with Overkill so they can have a sniper and a main gun and get Ghost on a second loadout. It's not as important as it used to be but I get very nervous when a UAV goes up and I don't have it.

Play with friends, it's a lot more fun

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I’m a novice, getting destroyed. Think I managed 3 kills once, the extent of my murderous rampage. Not looking to master the game, would be happy with a few kills. Any tips, weapons etc pretty please.

Are you playing solos or with your mates?

If you're playing with mates you're probably getting dragged up to their level by Skill Based Match Making. As a result you're probably playing with experienced players.

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Playing with mates is good craic. But personally I despise playing solos. If I'm playing on my own I do duos with no team fill. I've won a few duos on my own and have tremendous fun.
    My weapon on choice is the pkm. Up close its borderline useless so I always pick up a decent close range weapon. But medium to long term. It's lethal.

Solos is weird there's a large part of the game where nothing happens, like 90% of the server is hiding in a room surrounded by claymores waiting for the final circle. They need to speed up solos - have the gas close quicker or something

Solos is weird there's a large part of the game where nothing happens, like 90% of the server is hiding in a room surrounded by claymores waiting for the final circle. They need to speed up solos - have the gas close quicker or something

I don't want to make it shorter. 25 minutes is an investment and makes it more exciting and meaningful.

They have do some other things. I'd personally suggest three approaches.
    1. Diversify where people drop. The hot drops ARE so hot, so 50-70% of the server is dead within minutes. An easy solution is don't tell us the first circle till the plane is empty.
    2. Make returning from the gulag a bit easier in solos. Either give some plates, or give everyone parachuting in solos like 5 seconds worth of UAV so they can navigate somewhere safe.
    3. Slightly reduce the amount of cash or increase loadout price (for all modes). Loadouts are OP. They incentivise very aggressive starts, and then make those players dominant in the early game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Playing solo, thanks for all the input.

Advertisement