Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

While this is great news for e-bikes, I'm not sure where it leaves the likes of scooters
    Cycling associations claim victory: E-bikes will be excluded from compulsory insurance

Full story - https://www.ecf.com/news-and-events/news/cycling-associations-claim-victory-e-bikes-will-be-excluded-compulsory

After years of advocating to exclude e-bikes from mandatory motor vehicle insurance, ECF and CONEBI have succeeded in getting the European Parliament and the Council of the EU to overturn the original European Commission proposal.
    After years of the European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF) and the Confederation of the European Bicycle Industry (CONEBI) advocating to exclude e-bikes from mandatory motor vehicle insurance, the European Parliament and the Council of the EU last week reached a provisional agreement on the update of the Motor Insurance Directive that aligns with ECF and CONEBI’s views.

The combined lobby of civil society and cycling industry representatives appealed to the Parliament and Council to reverse a proposal from the European Commission that all EPACs and pedelecs, commonly called e-bikes, should be covered by the EU directive.

The Commission’s 2018 proposal to update the directive defined the scope of motorised vehicles eligible for third-party liability insurance to also include all e-bikes. The associations believed that this would undermine the EU’s stable regulatory framework for e-bikes, which has made the EU the world’s leader in e-bike use.

ECF and CONEBI argued that an electric-power-assisted bicycle under current EU rules is essentially a bicycle, not a motor vehicle, and that the damages caused by such bicycles are not high enough to justify a mandatory motor vehicle insurance for their users. It would also create a barrier to their use, would not improve road safety and would create confusion amongst member states as to how to implement the legislation.

ECF and CONEBI thought that the Commission’s initial proposal was an error that would signify an over-regulatory barrier to the uptake of e-bikes and lobbied the European Parliament and EU member states to overturn this error.

The Parliament and member states in the Council agreed and reached a provisional agreement on 22 June 2021 to overturn the original Commission text on the scope, with the two institutions deciding to only include vehicles that are “propelled exclusively by mechanical power,” effectively excluding all e-bikes, which are principally muscle-powered with power assist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

#FeckingCyclePaths
    Parking at the Forty Foot
    Sir, – I only discovered a couple of days ago in a foray from Naas to see the beautiful sea, that as part of the formation of the new cycle paths in the Dún Laoghaire area, about 30 parking spaces have been removed on the run down to the Forty Foot [bathing area].

This is totally discriminatory towards those of us who don’t live near enough to either cycle or walk to a swimming area.

– Yours, etc,

ANN FITZSIMONS,
    Naas.
    So the cycle path deemed a success for its huge usage is criticised by someone who wishes to park there maybe once a year :rolleyes:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/parking-at-the-forty-foot-1.4607868?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

'sake Ann, get a bloody grip on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I am outraged that someone cannot simply drive the the recise location (+/- 2meters) they want in order to minimise unnecessary walking and/or parking charges!

Sure, she'll know for next time that can take the train from Sallins to DL and not need to worry about the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I saw that on Twitter, whats curious is you would expect someone who is prepared to go swimming on the dublin coast would be a hardy and practical soul not a Karen lacking any self awareness

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Just look at these lovely car parking spots: stolen :(

https://twitter.com/dlrcc/status/1410531144223895554

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭ARX

#FeckingCyclePaths

So the cycle path deemed a success for its huge usage is criticised by someone who wishes to park there maybe once a year :rolleyes:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/parking-at-the-forty-foot-1.4607868?mode=amp
    I guess the 1.7km walk from the 322-space Pavilion car park would be too much.

A response in solidarity which hopefully will be in tomorrow's edition...

https://twitter.com/yascaoimhin/status/1410540839944736768

I get the feeling Ann wouldn't walk to warm herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

And a wonderful take on the original complaint!

https://twitter.com/TPusse/status/1410545279653318659?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Don't do it... what is supposed to be a small piece online may end up being a full page in the hard copy and then all your mates in the gym will take the piss out of you for months...

Don't do it... what is supposed to be a small piece online may end up being a full page in the hard copy and then all your mates in the gym will take the piss out of you for months...

We only saw the online version here :P

We only saw the online version here :P

Oh I meant to say, 'so I hear'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

UK story - driver deliberately knocks cyclist down, into a live lane of traffic, gets 12 month driving ban and a "12 month community order consisting of a mental health treatment requirement and a rehabilitation activity requirement."

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/angry-driver-mowed-down-cyclist-5591430

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Not sure if this qualifies as "journalism", but anyway...

The cyclist looks like he may have been a bit of a scrote, but I hate on these stories the way you don't see what preceded this, did the van driver do something to annoy the cyclist? Also, every single car along there is parked illegally. The one he crashed into is doubly illegally parked - on the pavement and on a corner. The loading going on around the corner doesn't help either, when the way is blocked by so many parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭micar

UK story - driver deliberately knocks cyclist down, into a live lane of traffic, gets 12 month driving ban and a "12 month community order consisting of a mental health treatment requirement and a rehabilitation activity requirement."

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/angry-driver-mowed-down-cyclist-5591430

The judge came out with this "at some point your vehicle hit a cyclist."

Amazing stuff there.

Secret Cyclist: Make it rewarding rather than risky
    "Ireland doesn’t have a cycling commissioner but given the large amount of money that is promised for cycle infrastructure across the country under the Programme of Government, it would be a good idea for someone to be steering the ship."

In policy circles, it is well established that there are four types of ‘cyclists’. These don’t pertain to the type of cycling that one does (road cycling, mountain cycling, commuter cycling, etc) but rather the disposition that one has towards cycling. In other words, how you feel about cycling.

The four types are: ‘strong and fearless’, ‘enthusiastic and confident’, ‘interested but concerned’, and ‘no way, no how’. Studies in the United States find a high degree of similarity between the number of people that identify with each group, regardless of what US city they live in.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandwellbeing/arid-40327112.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭micar

p15574 wrote: »

The cyclist looks like he may have been a bit of a scrote, but I hate on these stories the way you don't see what preceded this, did the van driver do something to annoy the cyclist? Also, every single car along there is parked illegally. The one he crashed into is doubly illegally parked - on the pavement and on a corner. The loading going on around the corner doesn't help either, when the way is blocked by so many parked cars.

Amazing that the articles says "Footage from the van's dashcam "

It clearly recorded on a mobile.

Sure the van would blocked from proceeding by the forklift truck blocking the road .

micar wrote: »

Sure the van would blocked from proceeding by the forklift truck blocking the road .

Also it says the cyclist was swearing. What he actually said was 'stop your van and get out' - I speak Dublinese

Dublin Live is literally a smidgen above Gript when it comes to reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

micar wrote: »

Not that amazing really - it's DublinLive. You're setting an unrealistically high bar as soon as you expect any sort of factual accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Also it says the cyclist was swearing. What he actually said was 'stop your van and get out' - I speak Dublinese

Dublin Live is literally a smidgen above Gript when it comes to reporting
    Duckjob wrote: »
    Not that amazing really - it's DublinLive. You're setting an unrealistically high bar as soon as you expect any sort of factual accuracy.
    . The minute he let out the swear, his chain of luck was broken and a bad cycle of instant karma rightly ensued
    Sounds like they're actually outsourcing to India now.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭elchupanebrey

p15574 wrote: »

Pity the video ended so soon, it looks like he might have done one of those running out of a crash escapes you see the pros do the odd time :p

Well the Irish Times published Kevin's response to Ann from Naas who had an issue with cycle lanes because of her once a year need to park her car near the Forty Foot...
    Parking near the Forty Foot

Sir, – I was incredibly upset to hear of the plight that has befallen the poor motorists of Naas that Ann Fitzsimons bravely spoke about in her letter (Letters, July 1st). I was inspired by her words and the powerful way in which she spoke of her struggle and her experience of the abject horror of discrimination.

So inspired that I was, I took to Google and typed “Forty Foot, Parking” and found parking – Google told me – in 0.92 seconds, a little over 900m away. It told me that this would take an extra 12 minutes out of a driver’s day.

Naturally, I was disappointed to see that Google too was involved in this culture of discrimination towards people who choose to drive from two counties over and expect an ever-present space on public land upon which they can store their private property.

We march ever onwards.

– Yours, etc,

KEVIN CARTER,
    Finglas, Dublin 11.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/parking-near-the-forty-foot-1.4610158?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

#FeckingCyclePaths

3 pools in Naas, can one swim in the Corbally line canal?

Pity the video ended so soon, it looks like he might have done one of those running out of a crash escapes you see the pros do the odd time :p

Turns out yer man on the bike had been caught trying to steal a package

Behind a paywall but the heading gives a good idea on what its about...
    Not surfacing our greenways only adds to cycle of blocking older people’s freedoms
    https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/not-surfacing-our-greenways-only-adds-to-cycle-of-blocking-olderpeoplesfreedoms-40608024.html

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Turns out yer man on the bike had been caught trying to steal a package

I thought it was the bike he had stolen being honest

I thought it was the bike he had stolen being honest

I've seen another clip from after on Facebook, he was trying to steal packages from a delivery van or parcel motel as far as I can make out.

Also

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paywalled.

Petrolhead James May on his lifelong love of bicycles
    We’re more used to seeing him on four wheels, but James May has a passion for bikes. So much so, he started building them himself
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/petrolhead-james-may-on-his-lifelong-love-of-bicycles-pdghgmkfz

• Advertisement

...and another letter in today's Irish Times
    Safety of children on bikes

Sir, – Parents of children aged under seven years on bikes on open roads (with no bike lanes) should cycle beside or behind them, but not in front, for their safety. Children aged under five years should not cycle on open roads. Accidents will surely happen. RSA Ireland should give guidelines on this issue. I used to preach that the three most important “Ps” in paediatrics were parenting, prevention and poverty.

– Yours, etc,

DENIS GILL,
    Ret’d prof of paediatrics, RCSI,
    Co Dublin.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/safety-of-children-on-bikes-1.4610183?mode=amp

Advertisement