Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Very envious of you getting to experience them fresh. Enjoy

You might not be the only one:
    When an undercover investigator from the college visited Elson for a massage in June 2019, she discovered that he spent at least 15 minutes of her appointment on his phone reading a series of wiki pages about the fantasy book series Malazan Book of the Fallen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-massage-therapist-misconduct-book-summaries-1.5442239?fbclid=IwAR0l4rVk9EIwPQ0PQkgy4WoQ93j286Pdg2HEqQeiDNVq6iymK0UsUh37eJc

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That has to be one of the most random MBotF references I've ever seen. They should've commended him for his good taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

75% through Memories of Ice.. I wont lie, Its hard going and some elements are still confusing me. Only thing keeping me going is the amount of time ive invested so far on the other books and seeing various threads intertwine. Im swearing that I wont read any more when I finish this but I know when I complete it, ill be sucked back in although I do have some Joe Abercrombie to get through.
    Siege of Capustan
    was epic stuff but apart for that not doing anything for me. Hopefully a massive finale waits me.

Memories of Ice done. Im glad I read it but it was a struggle at times.
    I think im going to take a break from Malazan some for a while and read something more lightweight.... Ive invested to much time and effert in the first 3 books to just give up. So far my favourite has been Deadhouse Gates.

Glebee wrote: »
    Memories of Ice done. Im glad I read it but it was a struggle at times.
    I think im going to take a break from Malazan some for a while and read something more lightweight.... Ive invested to much time and effert in the first 3 books to just give up. So far my favourite has been Deadhouse Gates.

Not a bad spot to take a breather. Initial plot lines wrap up somewhat there. What aspects have you enjoyed so far?

• Advertisement

Not a bad spot to take a breather. Initial plot lines wrap up somewhat there. What aspects have you enjoyed so far?

Where to start with this series... It certainly is epic fantasy on an epic scale. maybe it just to grandscale for me.

My first problem was I read Gardens of the Moon a good few years ago, swore I would not continue to next book but eventually curiosity got the better of me and I started Deadhouse Gates. I had forgotten the plot / character from teh first book so needed a bit of research to get upto speed on storyline. Finished Deadhouse and really enjoyed it, bit of a grid in parts but over all liked it. Duiker is my favourite character so far for some reason and Deadhouse Gates my favourite of the 3 ive read, followed by Memories of Ice.
    Straight into Memories of Ice but found it to be as confusing at time as the other two books. I had a fair idea of the overall story but found if you lost concentration while ready you would loose the story.
    A lot of the finer points of teh series have gone over my head completely (elder gods, warrens, hugh array of characters) but i think I have the overall arc of the stories.
    The major set pieces in the books are brilliant, favoutire so far
    Siege of Capustan
    its the confusion at times about who the characters and whats happening that kills it for me.

Where to start with this series... It certainly is epic fantasy on an epic scale. maybe it just to grandscale for me.

My first problem was I read Gardens of the Moon a good few years ago, swore I would not continue to next book but eventually curiosity got the better of me and I started Deadhouse Gates. I had forgotten the plot / character from teh first book so needed a bit of research to get upto speed on storyline. Finished Deadhouse and really enjoyed it, bit of a grid in parts but over all liked it. Duiker is my favourite character so far for some reason and Deadhouse Gates my favourite of the 3 ive read, followed by Memories of Ice.
    Straight into Memories of Ice but found it to be as confusing at time as the other two books. I had a fair idea of the overall story but found if you lost concentration while ready you would loose the story.
    A lot of the finer points of teh series have gone over my head completely (elder gods, warrens, hugh array of characters) but i think I have the overall arc of the stories.
    The major set pieces in the books are brilliant, favoutire so far
    Siege of Capustan
    its the confusion at times about who the characters and whats happening that kills it for me.

Can be a bit hard to track at times, especially with all the different squads and such. The next book, House of Chains, is quite a bit more linear narrative wise. Erickson wrote it somewhat as a rebuke to criticisms about his ability to focus on a singular character. It also introduced one of the most interesting characters of the series imo, certainly one who comes with a fair bit of controversy.

Can be a bit hard to track at times, especially with all the different squads and such. The next book, House of Chains, is quite a bit more linear narrative wise. Erickson wrote it somewhat as a rebuke to criticisms about his ability to focus on a singular character. It also introduced one of the most interesting characters of the series imo, certainly one who comes with a fair bit of controversy.

I have it on my kindle ready to go, maybe ill just dive straight in. I swore id read something else though...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

I have it on my kindle ready to go, maybe ill just dive straight in. I swore id read something else though...

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I have been reading through this whole thread today as this morning I got 5 books in this series. The first 2 and the last one as well as 2 others. I got them all in a charity shop for only a few euro. I had never heard of Erikson before and they just seemed interesting.

Now I see that maybe someone threw in the towel! :pac:

They might have been read though so its hard to know. I am going to read them anyway once I get the others and the good thing is this thread has prepared me a bit on what to expect!!

OK I posted this at the start of 2020 and throughout this year, I have got the rest of the books in the series! I have kept putting off starting them the whole year just for various reasons. Stupid I know.

I am going to start the series this week. Just finishing off another book so I will start them roughly on Jan 1st!

Of course I hope that I will like them now after having got the whole lot! I put what I read in my log here on boards in case anyone is interested. So I will review them there after each one. It is a series that I think I will like but we have all read books that we thought we would like and it it didn't turn out that way.

• Advertisement

Ok, If anyone sees or remembers my above posts, I have finally read the whole series. It took 4 months to read them all. I reviewed them here in my reading log on boards if interested.

Then thoughts about it here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117029836&postcount=232

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

4 months is a nice bit of time with Fiddler, Hellian and the gang!
    I think that when you reread a lot of seemingly unconnected sub plots start to click together now that you have a framework not to mention the occasional bit of impending car crash type dread when you know what is comming.
    I came across a couple of different suggested reading orders for re-reading, some of which made sense but others were just way too creepily obsessively post it's and red string across 3 wall level detailed, mixing across books at chapter level!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I read the first two and loved them but never got to read the rest.
    Probably just me but I prefer Trade or Hardback format and its tough to get the rest of the series unless you pay premium prices for the larger format.
    Maybe someday I might be tempted to get a kindle ,but until then I keep searching.

You must not read my log Paddy!! :pac:

I said I would give them all away to anyone who wants them. Just want them to be read or at least tried anyway.

So if you or anyone else can get to Cork, I will give the whole lot to you. I normally give them to charity shops but they are closed obviously. Also have the Strain trilogy. All free to a good home!

Have Midnight Tides ready to start but after reading the first few pages I realise I don’t think I have the patience to go through another Malazan book….going to step away from malazan for a while, don’t think I’ll be back.

Have Midnight Tides ready to start but after reading the first few pages I realise I don’t think I have the patience to go through another Malazan book….going to step away from malazan for a while, don’t think I’ll be back.

In a moment of weakness ive found myself drawn back to Malazan, Midnight Tides started. God knows how long its going to take me to get through.:confused:

1st book in the Witness series coming out. Read some reviews, sounded positive. Any word if Esselmont has any more books coming? Be interested to see how the timeline for this series overlaps with Assail and the reveal at the end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

1st book in the Witness series coming out. Read some reviews, sounded positive. Any word if Esselmont has any more books coming? Be interested to see how the timeline for this series overlaps with Assail and the reveal at the end of that.

I'm hesitant on it after the Tiste books, they were a struggle for me. I'd be interested in more esslemont books from the start of the empire.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm hesitant on it after the Tiste books, they were a struggle for me. I'd be interested in more esslemont books from the start of the empire.

The Karkanas series is certainly a departure in style from the main one. I really love aspects of it, mainly where it delves more into the back stories and characters. I can appreciate that Erikson wanted to delve into a more philosophical view of his world, and it's hard to judge everything without the conclusion to the story.

From what I've read on the new book, it's more in line with the main series in tone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any word if Esselmont has any more books coming?
    According to rumours on /r/Malazan, his next book - Jhistal - is cancelled. It's part of his Path to Ascendancy series so it'd have been a prequel series anyway. Nothing confirmed yet.

I'll be starting 'The God is Not Willing' tonight and, as per poster above, I'm assuming a lighter tone than the previous two books.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    According to rumours on /r/Malazan, his next book - Jhistal - is cancelled. It's part of his Path to Ascendancy series so it'd have been a prequel series anyway. Nothing confirmed yet.

I'll be starting 'The God is Not Willing' tonight and, as per poster above, I'm assuming a lighter tone than the previous two books.

I wonder why they cancelled it? Have enjoyed the path to ascendency series so far. He's not a patch on Erikson, but I love learning more about that period

I wonder why they cancelled it? Have enjoyed the path to ascendency series so far. He's not a patch on Erikson, but I love learning more about that period
    It seems sales were decent, according to Erikson. It's pure speculation now with some wondering if it's just the US publication that's cancelled. The US publications are often well behind anyway, including with 'The God is Not Willing' which is months away there.

I thought the last book was a little weak, but generally enjoyed him fleshing out the back story so I hope there's more and the rumour is not entirely correct.

ixoy wrote: »
    It seems sales were decent, according to Erikson. It's pure speculation now with some wondering if it's just the US publication that's cancelled. The US publications are often well behind anyway, including with 'The God is Not Willing' which is months away there.

I thought the last book was a little weak, but generally enjoyed him fleshing out the back story so I hope there's more and the rumour is not entirely correct.

That would be mad if they didn't publish in the US. Is the new book out in Europe already? It's on US Amazon for Hardcover pre-order.

Wow, almost finished Midnight Tides and have to admit its completely not what I was expecting . Probably my new favorite so far in the Malazan series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You could argue that Tehol and Bugg alone make the series worth getting through. The Bonehunters was my favourite but Midnight Tides is a belter. Sets up Reaper's Gale nicely.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Keep plugging - have to say Toll of the Hounds was my favourite. Honestly the whole series seems a bit choppy as it lays the base in the initial books but after that its character development and getting you invested in certain characters.

You come to understand the magic etc. behind it all.

I've read the series a few times as there is so much to absorb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Tehol and Bugg are brilliant - really are.

Gesler and Stormy another bunch, Liked the way Hood is portrayed too.

Just finished 'The God is Not Willing' and it's very enjoyable. Even if part of a trilogy, it stands alone quite well and feels quite streamlined running about half the length of a standard Malazan novel. Dealing with the fallout of some events a decade on from "The Crippled God", it's got classic Malazan marine banter, memorable characters (love Stillwater), plenty of bits that go over my head as ever, more lore, philosophical marines, monsters. Nothing like Kharkanas in tone and definitely worth a read.

Just started The Bonehunters after a small break from Malazan. Using audible for this one has have a good bit of driving to do over the next few weeks so should rattle through it. Unfortunatly im 4hrs into a 42hr listen and have not a clue whats happening with a lot of this. I thought I was getting to grips with Malazan but the start of this has me lost again for soem reason.

• Advertisement

My god, glad I kept going. All of a sudden I cant get enough... I suppose anyone whose read it knows what section ive just came too... Brilliant..

Advertisement