Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has the longest distance cycle to work?

• 04-07-2021 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thinking about the commute. I'll potentially moving 30km from Dublin city centre. I'm fairly fit on the bike but is it mad to consider this? Maybe time for an ebike?!

So anyone doing similar commutes currently? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thinking about the commute. I'll potentially moving 30km from Dublin city centre. I'm fairly fit on the bike but is it mad to consider this? Maybe time for an ebike?!

You'd cover 30km into Dublin City in a similar time to a car if travelling in rush hour, it's only an hour of medium effort each way, will bring on your cycling fitness loads, the biggest roadblocks are the weather and availability of showers at work and a safe place to store your bicycle.

I know a huge number of people who do this daily from NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hey all,

Did it daily 5 times a week up to Covid. Killiney to the airport. No need for an ebike, you’d probably run out of battery every second day.

You’ll build up your fitness fast. I hadn’t cycle in 20 years before I started. About 100kg so wouldn’t be the lightest either.

It’ll take around 1hr 5 to 1hr 20, depending on the wind. You’ll be stopping and starting at lights. So brings down average speed compared to a country road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks for the fast replies. My biggest concern is the roads I'd have to cycle. Country roads around Rush and Lusk areas. Pretty sh*te roads but doable! My current commute is 8km each way so would be a big jump!

Thanks for the fast replies. My biggest concern is the roads I'd have to cycle. Country roads around Rush and Lusk areas. Pretty sh*te roads but doable! My current commute is 8km each way so would be a big jump!

You could use the new cycling route across the estuary to avoid most of those country roads.

Inquitus wrote: »
    You could use the new cycling route across the estuary to avoid most of those country roads.

What route is this now? Is it in planning? Sounds interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Travel light. I bring in a weeks worth of work clothes on a Monday. I also have spare cycling shorts and jersey in work (in the event I get soaked in the way into work, it’s nice to know I have dry clothes to cycle home in)

I also have a spare inner tube, a track pump and a spare tyre in work in the event of a puncture on the way into work. Again it’s reassuring to know that I have these spares in work which ensures I can cycle home.

What route is this now? Is it in planning? Sounds interesting!

I am not sure of its official status but I believe it is now navigable, it follows the train line across the estuary in a special cycle track built next to the railway track, others here can probably give a better update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you have a secure location for your bike? Leave a good/descent lock in work so you don’t have to carry a lock every day.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Do you have a secure location for your bike? Leave a good/descent lock in work so you don’t have to carry a lock every day.

Yeah I'm lucky that way. Lockers, showers, secure bike cage indoors.

I'm still half thinking about an ebike to cut out the shower need! Might be wishful thinking.

Assuming i get 250watts out of the bike, that should see me doing minimal effort?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Hey all,

What age are you? Lot easier to do it when in your 20s

Did it myself prior to WFH for over 20 years, 25k, infinitely better than bus or car and great for fitness

You'd do well to average 30kph in city traffic though

Weather can be a pain at times and I'm a hardy cutter, it's more cycling home in soaked gear

Showers ar work necessary if you are putting in much effort, but save that time at home showering anyway

There are sweet feck all people commuting that distance for a reason

Ebike would be a great backup in my mind , you can cycle on a normal bike when it suits you

• Advertisement

What age are you?

Did it myself prior to WFH for over 20 years, infinitely better than bus or car and great for fitness

You'd do well to average 30kph in city traffic

Weather can be a pain

Showers ar work necessary if you are putting in much effort, but save that time at home showering anyway

40yrs old. I'm fit enough but trying to find the confluence of fitness, shorter time and convenience!

I could mix it up and take the non ebike every other day or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

40yrs old. I'm fit enough but trying to find the confluence of fitness, shorter time and convenience!

That is the best bet, it was brilliant on summer days cycling past mad people sitting in their cars, but I bet they though the same when I'd be cycling through a freezing river in the way home

If you have to do a commute you might as well make use of it, sitting in a car is mad

There's no good way to deal with the rain in November day in day out

It's worth investing in one of these, as mentioned above, to leave permanently at work, and make sure you take your wheels off and lock them to it as well. You also need to make sure its in some sort of secure work location that's not readily available to the public to avoid vandlisation as well.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/motorcycling/security/magnumplus-colossus-chain-1.8m-x-12mm-with-padlock-536042.html

536042?w=740&h=555&qlt=default&fmt=auto&v=1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There are a few on here doing Drogheda/Dublin which would be about 50k one way. Few also doing Balbriggan/Dublin which would be about 35k one way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,776 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If I ever get back to the office, it will be about 200km each way. Fortunately I'm down to 1 day a week and can spend Monday and Tuesday getting there, Thursday and Friday getting back....

....not going anywhere at present mind, as I'll be getting a new knee next month

:pac:

There are a few on here doing Drogheda/Dublin which would be about 50k one way. Few also doing Balbriggan/Dublin which would be about 35k one way.

Yikes!

I might be meeting you all some day soon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    You’ll be stopping and starting at lights. So brings down average speed compared to a country road
    i found commuting across the city was harder on the knees than doing double the distance on the open roads, because of all the acclerating back to speed from a stop i suspect.

Btw I assume nothing but panniers will suffice for any distance over 10km? I assume if i carry my backpack with laptop I'll be looking at a physio appointment down the line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,004 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i never found carrying a backpack to be an issue - a laptop is not *that* heavy but it makes your back sweat like a mother****er, especially in warm weather.

Btw I assume nothing but panniers will suffice for any distance over 10km? I assume if i carry my backpack with laptop I'll be looking at a physio appointment down the line.

That's a personal and bike dependent choice, what fitting options your bike has for panniers etc. A good rucksack designed for the purpose will not imho destroy your back, I used to MTB enduro for long distances with a backpack and noticed no back issues. There are lots of articles online that address commuting with a laptop to work on a bike, have a read and decide for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I do 28 km, usually 3 days a week going to work. Might do 36 km on the scenic way home if the weather's nice. I use an e-bike as there's no shower facilities and I want to look a bit respectable when I get there. It just takes the strain out of the hills and at the lights. I've about 125m of hills en route.

The bike will do 75 km when I'm using the battery a lot, 100 km + if it's sporadic, so to be on the safe side I'll charge it before each trip.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I do 28 km, usually 3 days a week going to work. Might do 36 km on the scenic way home if the weather's nice. I use an e-bike as there's no shower facilities and I want to look a bit respectable when I get there. It just takes the strain out of the hills and at the lights. I've about 125m of hills en route.

The bike will do 75 km when I'm using the battery a lot, 100 km + if it's sporadic, so to be on the safe side I'll charge it before each trip.

What bike are you using out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭KevRossi

What bike are you using out of interest?

I've a 2018 version of this one here, exact same bike with different colour scheme: https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/e-bikes/trekking/tour/touring/cube-touring-hybrid-one-400-blacknblue-2019/

Mine has 400wh battery, new ones have 500wh or 625wh which gives a better range.

Excellent bike, really happy with it, very comfy for cruising around. It's no racer and it isn't meant to be. I carry about 12 kg of work equipment and my own gear with me to each site and it does it all with ease.

I've been carrying laptops in a back pack for years without any issues (20k each way).

PS - just out of interest where approx in NCD are you moving to?

I've been carrying laptops in a back pack for years without any issues (20k each way).

PS - just out of interest where approx in NCD are you moving to?

Skerries area. So would be north of 30km each way for me.

Skerries area. So would be north of 30km each way for me.
    It would be around 35k I think (depending on where in Skerries and where in Dublin). It's a straightforward route. The bit of the R132 south of Blake's Cross can be a bit concerning at times.

(I'm in Skerries myself and commute to Portrane).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There is a lot to be said for a e bike for the trip you will be doing its a fair commute each day and you have to make it on time as it is work so if weather conditions are bad unlike a leisure spin you have to stick to your route .

The bit of the R132 south of Blake's Cross can be a bit concerning at times.

Done it many times on a club spin but rarely solo. This stretch and the Whitestown road to Station road section past the train station would be my 2 concern areas of the commute.

Done it many times on a club spin but rarely solo. This stretch and the Whitestown road to Station road section past the train station would be my 2 concern areas of the commute.
    You wouldn't be going near Whitestown unless you wish to make the commute longer by going via Rush. :confused:

This Strava segment is from the bridge in Skerries to Dorset Street:

https://www.strava.com/segments/733730

• Advertisement

You wouldn't be going near Whitestown unless you wish to make the commute longer by going via Rush. :confused:

This Strava segment is from the bridge in Skerries to Dorset Street:

https://www.strava.com/segments/733730

My fault, I wasn't specific, the area would be equidistant between skerries town and the cross roads at Loughshinny. I could head across by Baldungan and take the road to Lusk then?

Advertisement