Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 9 : Austrian GP

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Enjoyed that race, delighted Max extended his lead. Think Perez was just short of the 10s he needed to keep 5th? Driver of the day for me was Norris.

Kimi should do us all a favour and retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Great weekend for Norris, he's in top form this year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,617 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

skipper_G wrote: »
    Great weekend for Norris, he's in top form this year

He's superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

There was a point before the first stops though this was going to be a quiet race but it ended up being very entertaining

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Can't understand Mercedes letting Bottas past then pitting Hamilton at all. Wasn't pulling away or anything but himself and Bottas looked perfectly comfortable til then.

They had to let Bottas go because of Norris really and Hamilton was miles off the pace.

They only pit Hamilton after Norris passed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Huge cheers from the crowd for Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Great support from the crowd for Lando. I think the Dutch F1 fans are a lot like the Irish football fans. They seem like they are all about the craic.

Faugheen wrote: »
    They had to let Bottas go because of Norris really and Hamilton was miles off the pace.

They only pit Hamilton after Norris passed him.

What was the benefit? He was miles off the pace but Norris hadn't put any pressure at all on Bottas while he was in Hamilton's DRS window. All it did was guarantee Norris would get past one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,443 ✭✭✭✭klose

That was a good race, the ricciardo leclerc sainz train was good watching. Big result for ricciardo, Russell unfortunately just came up short but bring p11 on merit shows he's a quality driver.

Must be soul destroying being either haas driver or latifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Ferraris had a fairly decent finish, considering the poor quali.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭This is it

Really enjoyed that, battles throughout the field and Max extends his lead

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Good race and great to see that we will have a competitive championship. And great to see Lando norris doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sad there's no race next weekend, that was great. Sky are showing Goodwood though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Just me or did Bottas look unhappy on the podium?
    Good race.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It’s great to see some real racing at the front of the field now that a few of the top teams have cars have similar pace.

I think that many are starting to realize that maybe Max is the best driver.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Just me or did Bottas look unhappy on the podium?
    Good race.

He's just Finnish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can you imagine if Sainz stayed where he was and Ferrari snapped up Ricciardo instead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

2011 wrote: »
    I think that many are starting to realize that maybe Max is the best driver.

Probably won't happen but would be great to see them in the same car, Max is on fire and is only going to get better. My fear is that Mercedes will dominate again from 2022 having pretty much stopped developing this year's car, hopefully not. Would be fantastic for McLaren to joint the fight too.

Fantastic to hear the crowd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Max got his first 'Grand Prix Grand Slam' today, won't be his last.

Pole, led from start to finish, fastest lap and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Pretty dejected in that message, "if it is for that turn 4 what does the guy expect when ge goes out wide?"

I'm with Di Resta and I want to see hard racing, you take that chance you've got to be prepared for it not working. Not all tracks are going to have a nice run off area to soften the blow.

The problem is that there NEEDS to be a marker laid down, otherwise pushing people off track trying to defend will become the norm and overtaking will become completely impossible; It'd become like racing 12 years old on the F1 games, "say behind or be bashed off of the track".

This is pretty much what happened through the late '80s and early '90s, when the race stewards where probably not even watching the races - to the point that drivers like Senna and Schumacher made it a habit of just trying to punt anyone attempting an overtake out of the track.

Funnily enough, Sky windbags' shameless British bias got it right for once - Lando sorta left a bit of space to Perez, so that could theoretically have left to slide; Perez is however indefensible on the two episodes with Leclerc - the first time he actually used the Ferrari as an "auxiliary braking device", ffs. Also, Russell on Alonso showed how you can defend out of turn 6 without pushing people on the gravel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Sorry, I missed it, what's the change in format in Silverstone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Probably won't happen but would be great to see them in the same car, Max is on fire and is only going to get better.

Yes, but there is a real chance that we might see Russel in the same car.
    That would be interesting. I imagine Mercedes would be concerned that Russel may not be willing to play the number 2 role like Bottas does.

Russell did well and I was sad not to see him get points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

F1 TV saying Russell is under investigation for moving under braking in a fight with Kimi.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

flazio wrote: »
    F1 TV saying Russell is under investigation for moving under braking in a fight with Kimi.

I noticed him do that actually but thought I had viewed it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lando just destroyed Russell on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Much improved race today , still suffered from the DRS train places but was more entertaining with everything else going on .

Is there any chance Redbull had leaned on the FIA for the Norris move believing Perez would get back on Par. And the penalty would move Norris out of the way for them ,only for it to back fire twice. It's not unlike any time Toto has been on to them for his driver's for blue flags etc. I mean it would have been worth it only Perez never really got on terms today .

I only saw all of those as a racing incidents ,Norris ,Perez and Leclecre x2 right up until Russell and Alonso and how they handedly those sections and some side by side . Good racing from both.

Lando Norris is currently driver of the year. He is absolutely flying .

Perez 4 points on license , Norris 2 ,
    4 drivers called in for not slowing for double waved flags at the end

Russell for moving under braking.

And all the penalties in one race . That is most I have seen .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,443 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sorry, I missed it, what's the change in format in Silverstone?

First sprint race isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Joeface wrote: »
    Is there any chance Redbull had leaned on the FIA for the Norris move believing Perez would get back on Par. And the penalty would move Norris out of the way for them ,only for it to back fire twice. It's not unlike any time Toto has been on to them for his driver's for blue flags etc. I mean it would have been worth it only Perez never really got on terms today

Horner said he felt the Lando penalty was harsh before Checo had either of his incidents with LEC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Lando just destroyed Russell on TV

What he do?

Advertisement