Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detonators

Options
  • 02-07-2021 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Just out of interest why would a level crossing guard have had detonators back in the day? I may have read something wrong - it's hand written - but I'm sure they guy says "flags and detonators".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just out of interest why would a level crossing guard have had detonators back in the day? I may have read something wrong - it's hand written - but I'm sure they guy says "flags and detonators".

What's a level crossing guard? Train guards certainly would have carried flags and detonators to put down on the track in event of an accident or breakdown and presumably anybody working a level crossing would have had them for the same reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

For use in poor conditions where a flag may not be seen. This type of detonator.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonator_(railway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

As complete idiot teenager me and my equally stupid friends used to put Hilti cartridges that we would rob from building sites onto the tracks for the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

in foggy weather a fogman would be stationed at a distant signal and would place a det on the line when the signal was on, removing it when the signal was cleared.

Presumably a crossing keeper would have done the same, particularly as some crossings were not linked to a signal box, he'd have placed a det when the crossing was open to the road and removed it when it was safe for a train to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I seen them being placed under the train as it pulled into Tralee with the Sam Maguire a good number of years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

theguzman wrote: »
    I seen them being placed under the train as it pulled into Tralee with the Sam Maguire a good number of years back.

well not recently anyway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Isambard wrote: »
    well not recently anyway :-)

It was either 1997 or the year 2000 or as late as 2004, hard to say really.

Advertisement