Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have really got into Formula 1, anything else out there just as exciting?

• 03-07-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭

Watched the F1 around 20 years ago for a season or two following Jordan, drifted off it. However, last year, when the pandemic hit I started watching "Drive to Survive" on Netflix, checked out the F1 again, and have been completely hooked since, watching every quali and every race (something I never did before). Love it.

I don't watch any other motor sport, so my question is: anything out there that comes close to the F1 in terms of sheer excitement and anticipation? Thanks for any replies or suggestions

(Of course I have to know the drivers, the teams, the background, a bit of the history, just to get "hooked". I invested some time into MotoGP recently, after watching the doc "Hitting the Apex", but I just couldn't get into it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Watched the F1 around 20 years ago for a season or two following Jordan, drifted off it. However, last year, when the pandemic hit I started watching "Drive to Survive" on Netflix, checked out the F1 again, and have been completely hooked since, watching every quali and every race (something I never did before). Love it.

I don't watch any other motor sport, so my question is: anything out there that comes close to the F1 in terms of sheer excitement and anticipation? Thanks for any replies or suggestions

(Of course I have to know the drivers, the teams, the background, a bit of the history, just to get "hooked". I invested some time into MotoGP recently, after watching the doc "Hitting the Apex", but I just couldn't get into it)

MotoGP
    British Touring cars on itv4
    Indycar is decent too

Formula E isn't too bad but the noise goes through my head.

Not really, but different things work for different people.

IndyCar is entertaining on road courses (think old F1 courses) where they can follow closely. Will see them after 4 laps with cars less than half a second behind each other. Street courses are a bit less interesting. You might be surprised by some of the oval racing, great entertainment.
    MotoGP has lots of passing.
    Have tried Formula E but there's silly gimmicks that don't make a whole lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Formula E used to be quite decent, however this season there seems to be something not clicking. Last time out at a double header Pascal Werlhein was thrown off the podium twice, after the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Wtcr always good for racing
    DTM maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

If you're getting sucked back into F1 again always good to watch supporting series F2 and F3, some of the races can be fun with more action packed incidents and you get to see who is coming up through ranks towards F1

Indycar is great at the moment despite not enough ovals, highest quality competitive field this season since CART 20 years ago and a title race with 7 races to go

Sportscar racing is going to get alot more interesting over the next 2 years with Hypercar prototypes and multiple manufacturers including Ferrari jumping into it

I still find old favourites like BTCC, MotoGP and NASCAR are still worth a watch despite past their peak of 15-20 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I think it's a tossup between Indycar and Formula 2. Indy looks a bit mental, a lot to take in, so I might start trying to follow F2, it's a bit more familiar. On race day who does the commentary? any of the usual F1 commentators?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I think it's a tossup between Indycar and Formula 2. Indy looks a bit mental, a lot to take in, so I might start trying to follow F2, it's a bit more familiar. On race day who does the commentary? any of the usual F1 commentators?

F2 and F3 are well worth following and with the new format you get 3 races in a weekend. Alex Jacques is the lead commentator, he is on C4 F1 coverage now. They alternate between different people for the 2nd commentator. My personal favourite is Alex Brundle who sounds exactly like his old man. F3 has the added advantage of some familiar names from motorsport if you're into a bit of history, there's a Schumacher, Fittipaldi, Leclerc, Nannini and a Doohan.

The racing in Indycar is good if you can stomach the hyper Americanised presentation ie; commercials every minute and everything brought to you by 15 sponsors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Check out this doc, Fernando Alonso

Good doc

Also on Amazon prime

*Close the space

https ://www2.the****.me/tv/watch-fernando-2020-free-63519

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Aussie super v8s offer some if the best racing and proper noisey race cars .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dcully wrote: »
    Aussie super v8s offer some if the best racing and proper noisey race cars .

This. Supercars is easily the best watch for me.

F1 is a snoozefest these days and frustrating to watch also because rules like track limits are never enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

Agree with a lot of what is written above.F2 is the obvious choice if you like F1 and it will also help to get to know the upcoming F1 drivers. I am also a big fan of the Formula E (lots of ex-F1 drivers) but it does have it's issues. Finally I would say MotoGP is something a bit different and provides some very dramatic racing, it is a real nice alternative to 4 wheel racing. I like Indycar to an extent but the US broadcast drives me crazy, the commentators are never excitable even when there are race winning moves happening, and to be honest most of the best moves are missed due to commercials...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I just discovered that Stadium Super Trucks is a thing the other day. It's insane

https://youtu.be/dRdiWXqrc1Q

• Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I signed up to F1TV for the F2, but I can't find replays of this years races, any idea where they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I signed up to F1TV for the F2, but I can't find replays of this years races, any idea where they are?

YouTube F1 channel has the highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I just discovered that Stadium Super Trucks is a thing the other day. It's insane

https://youtu.be/dRdiWXqrc1Q

I love SST. The racing is brilliant.

Mostly gave up on F1 a few years back (I still follow the news a bit, but rarely watch). Started watching sportscar racing instead. I generally prefer prototype racing traveler than GT racing. So I'm very much looking forward to the future with Hypercar and LMdH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Some might deride this as not real motorsport but the FIA certified championship of Gran Turismo Sport can be a lot of fun to watch none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Check out this thread from the Bargain Alerts forum on this Turkish website/app SSport+ https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058153263

SSport+ has F1, F2, F3, MotoGP all with replays plus loads of other sports Premier League/La Liga/UFC/WWE/NBA/NFL etc. F1 is the only one that doesn't have English commentary for some unknown reason

It has cost me a laughable €18 for the year, I use it on an amazon Fire TV though you need a VPN and a google play account to get going with all info on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Williamjg

So I’m assuming you’re Irish cos this is an Irish website. You want something as exciting as formula 1. Well sir I’m going to introduce you to the best motorsport on the planet and it’s on your door step. Have you ever heard of Irish road racing? It’s motorbike racing on normal everyday roads around Ireland that get closed for a weekend kind of like a rally. It’s the scariest and rawest form of motorsport. It’ll make any of them formula 1 boys look like ballerinas. They close a series of roads to create a circuit. It’s just a normal road lined with trees, Stone walls, houses, signs ect. If you drive past it on your way to work then they race by it at 200+mph. Guy Martin is one of the more famous road racers and he said “if you make a single tiny mistake then you’re dead , I like that sort of thing “. It’s the most dangerous sport on a planet because if they fall off that bike there isn’t any gravel traps or run off space. It’s trees and walls and it’s very often that riders will die from a crash. And that’s what makes the sport soo exciting. It’s like formula 1 back in the early days when drivers knew a crash could kill them. That’s what made old formula 1 great. It was what made those men heroes. How they can race on the limit knowing they are on the thin line between success and tragedy. And that what road racing has always been. It’s better then f1 because these are normal every day people who you’re watching. Most of them have normal day to day lives to pay for their racing. It’s not money who decides who wins like in f1. It’s who is the bravest rider and willing to push the line between life and death. In 2014 in f1 at the Australian gp the average speed on the fastest lap was 128.27 mph. In 2019 at the Ulster Grand Prix which is on a 7 mile circuit just outside Belfast, Peter Hickman set an average speed of 136.415 mph. The tt Isle of Man is the biggest race which is on a 37 mile circuit and then average speed there is 135.62 mph again by Peter Hickman (he’s kinda fast). One race is in a car with 4 wheels on a wide open race track. The other is on a motorbike. 2 wheels. And a narrow tree lined road. The top speed at the Ulster Grand Prix is somewhere around 205mph. And then best part is you can stand in a field beside the road. Only an arms width away from the bikes. You can feel the heat off the bike as it screams past and if you are stupid enough and don’t mind losing a limb you could reach out and touch the bike. There are many races around Ireland. The biggest ones are the northwest 200 which goes from portrush to portstewart and then down to coleraine and back up to portrush. Then there is the Ulster Grand Prix near Belfast. That’s the best race in my opinion. There is the skerries 100 in Dublin. Kells road races in Meath. You have armoy road races in Antrim. That was on about 2 weeks ago. There is cookstown 100 which is up north again and if you see this post in time you could still get tickets to the race. It’s on in September. You can find information if you look up cookstown 100 on Facebook. There is a road race in cork too. And walderstown in west Meath. There is faugheen road races in Tipperary. Also enniskillen road races and I’m probably forgetting 1 or 2. Then the biggest race of them all which you might of heard of is the tt Isle of Man. That’s a different beast altogether. Usually 2 riders lose their lives chacing their tt dreams each year. That’s my recommendation to you anyway. Check it out. I recommend watching the 2019 Ulster Grand Prix on YouTube. There is a great race between lee Johnston and peter Hickman. It was a great race. And then obviously the tt is another great watch. It’s a spectacle to watch. Anyway hope you give it a look. It’s true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No point in getting into it now as tomorrow is the last race of the season but maybe for the 2021-22 season you could start watching Formule-e. I will warn you do that it's platform or TV schedule can be a bit of a mess and it has nearly put me of it several times but the races can be so close and brilliant. Todays was a really good race the teams and leaders at the front changing places at least a few times.

The tracks do can be very dull but they do race in Monaco also in Valentia Spain and in many big cities like Paris , Rome etc as well as on some very inventive tracks like at the Excell in Londan this year the track was both inside and outside so something different.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Like F1, absolutely nothing - and that's the whole deal of F1. Close...Indycar for sure; The coverage in Europe is frankly abysmal for reasons I can't understand (there seems to be a lot of potential, especially with a lot of EU drivers competing at the top), but if you can find it, it's worth the watch - even 'though the US coverage is stupidly fragmented by endless advertising (literally, you might miss like the crucial parts of the race 'cause you're watching the same GEICO ad for the 27th time in 2 hours).

Live, at the track, however, is where Indycar shines. Kinda still has that old fashion event feel to it, where the race really is something that attracts everyone and there's a lot going on around it. Also, the cars "feel" somewhat more primal and...analog, from the trackside - compared to the absolutely perfect, sanitized, force-field-protected feel you get when attending an F1 race.

Then F2, when the field is good enough. Last couple of years it has been ok, but in the past it has been an absolute sh1tshow of poor driving/competition.

Formula E could be good, but they're trying SO DAMN HARD to appeal to young kids that it is less motorsport and more Mario Kart at times; Driving standards also used to be atrocious - 75% of overtakes/battles would end with carbon fibre flying everywhere.

Right now, Touring Car is basically a dead horse...the days of the ETCC/WTCC are long gone, not to mention the DTM. Now it's a bunch of small cars, some from Chinese manufacturers you've never heard of in Europe, dicing it out in the most cost-saving friendly way possible.

In general 'though, the issue with other series is coverage - even in the supposedly "hyper-information era", it's surprisingly hard to follow any "non-F1" series live, mostly due to stupid and short-sighted commmercial agreements (Eg. like Indycar, where the organizers fail to recognize they have a potential audience outside of the US).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Ever watch drifting? Good a few top-level championships now, FD in USA, Euro Driftmasters, and RDS Russian drift series.

They can have whatever engine they like and whatever fuel they like. Some amazing build of cars.

What makes it fun for me also is we've one of the best drifters in the work, he's from Cork.

Also, the drivers usually do podcasts and vlogs of their weekend and Instagram during the weekends in a way that you don't get in the likes of F1. I love the access you get to the drivers.

Old Aussie touring car races are worth a look, I was collecting the Bathurst review dvds from the late 70s and 80s, loved it.

If you've not watched it before, doesn't really matter its old as you won't know the result anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not into drifting, but I assume you are referring to James Dean?

Yep, we've Conor and Jack Shanahan also. Jack and Conor would be right up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Really? I suppose I partly love the sport as I grew with it, I might have taken part in one of the first drift events/competitions in the country, James was there in an estate Ford Sierra driving much better than me, James' brother bought a 200sx off me, Darren McNamara was at a drift practice day in an old rx7 many moons ago to looking very ordinary. It is amazing how far these two have come since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

A bit late to this party I know. What parts of F1 do you find exciting, the answer to that will determine what else you might like ? Personally it gets me going to the same extent as watching a well-painted wall dry, but each to their own. I would have recommended MotoGP immediately but you've already tried that.

You might find DTM good as it always reminds me of F1 in saloon bodies, it can be quite technical with not so much overtaking. There are also usually some ex-F1 drivers in the series.

BTCC can be quite exciting, almost circuit racing if it was done by stock cars.

World Rallycross (WRX) can be very good at its best, though more short, intense races and invented for a TV audience.

Also, don't rule out going to Mondello the odd time to watch some local single seaters, currently going under the name BOSS Ireland and Formula vee.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bathurst 1000 this weekend. Best viewing of the year across any category IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I do like watching the DTM racing .. as mentioned before it is very technical.

I was a big F1 fan back 20 years ago and sort of fell out of love with the sport - got back in to it about 5 years ago and to be fair the 24 hours a day coverage by sky does really help getting background info etc which fuels the interest.

Then about 2 years ago I decided to get back in to Scalextric (from my childhood) and that has morphed in to an obsession .. I find myself watching all sorts of motorsports to see cars I'd like to add to my collection ... the old RS500 Sierras from the BTCC are my favourites along with some 90s F1 cars. Currently waiting on a pre order limited edition McLaren MP4/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I need to put my scalextric back together. have a computer timing system. 4 wheel drive Peugeot 306,skoda fabia, jordan, Stewart f1 etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

i use the Magic Arc App and it's really good ... built a permanent lay out on a 2.5m x 3.5m table .. pit lanes and high fencing .. going to put in floodlights for some night time racing !

Advertisement