Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Gulf of Mexico

Options
  • 03-07-2021 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but can anyone tell me how that fire in the GoM works. Is it flame at the top of a column of leaking gas, or can the fire be coming from the pipeline?

Thanks, major debate going on about H2O and what can burn where going on here.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't help you with your questions, but one thing i was curious about - the photos i've seen seem to show boats trying to extinguish the flames; are they worried about the flames reaching down to the pipeline itself?
    if not, i would think it's better to let the gas burn, better to have it generate CO2 emissions rather than methane emissions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The gas was coming out of the pipe, but could only burn when it got oxygen from the air at the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Like something from a disaster film, scary, just needs Godzilla to emerge and we have a blockbuster.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like something from a disaster film, scary, just needs Godzilla to emerge and we have a blockbuster.
    Blockbuster, better call Michael Bay.

worst_case_scenario.png

Advertisement