Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avoiding Merc/BMW Timing Chain Probs

Options
  • 02-07-2021 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi everyone, I'm trying to find out how to avoid the Mercs/BMW's with known timing chain issues - is there a particular year/model after which they are (generally speaking) ok once there is a good service history? Budget-wise I'd be looking at probably 2010 - 2012 preferably automatic, preferably petrol as I don't do high mileage but petrols seem harder to find. I saw this diesel Merc in the link below but don't know if it is one of the problem chain models - can I ask your opinions on it please. I can't find any info on the seller so I'll probably avoid anyway! Thanks.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-e220d-avantgarde-new-nct/28463790

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Would you not just buy one that has proof of a recent timing chain replacement? Or buy one and budget for replacing the chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ybot

User1998 wrote: »
    Would you not just buy one that has proof of a recent timing chain replacement? Or buy one and budget for replacing the chain?

Thanks, yes ideally thats what to do, I just thought maybe the chain issue was known to only relate to models up to a certain year and for cars after that year there's no need to worry as much about replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

All N47s are prone to chain issues but I believe the early N47D20A versions were the most notorious which were up till around 09-10. Long service intervals didn't help matters though.

The newer B47 doesn't suffer with chain issues but they came after 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NoDiice

I think rather than avoiding, it’s best to include the price of the chain to be replaced when buying the car. Cost me 1000€ at my local garage, along with a new clutch.

Unless of course the previous owner can provide you with receipts of the timing chain being changed.

Good luck with the search.

Advertisement