Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suckler farmers anonymous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I thought sucklers were addictive until I started buying sheep. Seem to add a few more to the flock every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭emaherx

50HX wrote: »
    Always around the 30 mark here

Changed in last 2 years

Down now to 13 with 3 replacements calving down Sept

Kept the weanlings till circumstances 16 months, easier life as working full time but more importantly keeping them to that age leaves a better margin at end if year v calving 30 odd and selling weanlings

There are worse vices in life and sometimes it's not all about money

Plenty of people do d 3 foreign hols, piss it up against a wall or hoover it up the nose

Hard to let go if you a long bloodline in the herd I think

Fairly similar here, but I've been looking at picking heifers here the last few days to put out with the bull, you know just one or 2 and maybe that one oh and the one over there......

Definitely don't have a problem here :D

I thought sucklers were addictive until I started buying sheep. Seem to add a few more to the flock every week.

Wouldn't be into that hardcore stuff myself, I honestly think you may need proper help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

emaherx wrote: »
    Wouldn't be into that hardcore stuff myself, I honestly think you may need proper help.

Will probably need a stint in a rehab facility to see the error of my ways alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Well the first step is admitting you all have a peculiar mental fixation addiction/ fetish for these hoors.
    The addiction of the dramatics from risking life and limb keeping these feral beasts overriding family time and finances can be kicked.
    Once you commit.

1. Now that you have acknowledged you have a problem try and visualise a life with 365 uninterrupted nights with no cows calving. No feral beast trying to squash the life out of you as you try to keep her offspring alive..

2. Black and white/ black friendly animals look smaller up close than those multicolour feral hoors that you can’t get within 50 yards of.
    But they may be a lot better than you perceive..

3. It is unacceptable to ask family, friends or the hard pressed paye workers to fund your feral hoors for the benefit of your fixation.
    Although whinging about a lack of profitability in an enterprise that has never been anything but is part of the club culture, you have to help yourself.

4. Withdrawal symptoms will be alleviated by uninterrupted pints. Structured time off, ****ing your calving jack into the scrap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

They're no better tbh and if anything it's easier to get into number's of the wooly hoors. The other half is mad about sheep where as I've always had mixed feelings for the white vermin. The fact that I'm in charge of fencing duties doesn't help although her preference is for Texels and similar docile lowland sheep which aren't the worst as regards escape artists. I've been known to buy things with grey wool and horns that jump sheep wire for sport which doesn't help my blood pressure or love for all thing's sheep. It was her birthday lately and I ended up driving nearly 100 miles round trip to collect 3 Dorset ewe lambs, God help me I'm now an addict and an enabler.

They're no better tbh and if anything it's easier to get into number's of the wooly hoors. The other half is mad about sheep where as I've always had mixed feelings for the white vermin. The fact that I'm in charge of fencing duties doesn't help although her preference is for Texels and similar docile lowland sheep which aren't the worst as regards escape artists. I've been known to buy things with grey wool and horns that jump sheep wire for sport which doesn't help my blood pressure or love for all thing's sheep. It was her birthday lately and I ended up driving nearly 100 miles round trip to collect 3 Dorset ewe lambs, God help me I'm now an addict and an enabler.

Wait until you start lambing multiple batches.....late feb,mid april and few after xmas to pass the holidays,while your off

Sure who needs sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭minerleague

Been hearing of suckling demise nearly since i started, only still going as thought rest of ye would quit and leave me with all the high prices when the nice ones grew scarce. Ah well worse things we could be at

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Wait until you start lambing multiple batches.....late feb,mid april and few after xmas to pass the holidays,while your off

Sure who needs sleep

She'd lamb them all at Xmas given the chance where as I've been advocating waiting until the 1st of April but she usually starts the beginning of March. I've (temporarily and of course did it the one good price year) exited the sheep business as I'd really need to do a belt of fencing and other bits and pieces to leave life easier before getting back into them. I've a good mind to leave lambing my own in future until the beginning of May but the better half would probably left the ram off with everything in October when I'd be at busy at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Hi my name is AG and I’m an addict. You see my father was an addict before me. It’s a disease which runs in our family, my brother has it worse than me now. My father stopped using for a few years when he went to the black & white side. But he relapsed and started using those Belgian blue pills when I was a lad.
    I liked the look of those blue pills, so he enabled my addiction by buying me one. I was even given red rosettes in October when the users of the Charolais white pills would be given blue rosettes. I found myself seeking out more colours of pills and then I found a Limousin red pill that I really liked the look of. I was still young and impressionable, but the older men encouraged my habit by getting me to buy it. I couldn’t afford it, so I pimped myself out to a dairy farmer for a year to be able to afford the French red pill. I promised myself I’d only have the one and that I could stop at any time I wanted. I realise now that I’ve put always those red pills before my family and some have been hurt in the process (mostly kicks in the groin). I’ve also been known to take money from non farm accounts to fund this habit, promising I’ll replace it when I sell that show topper. It’s never happened. I’ve also been keeping a secret from my wife, I hide Ai catalogues in the bathroom and read them when on the throne.
    I want to get this monkey off my back, but I know deep down I’ll just turn to more of the white fluffy pills. My therapist is the Ai man, I don’t think he has my true interest at heart. I don’t know where to turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jjameson wrote: »
    Well the first step is admitting you all have a peculiar mental fixation addiction/ fetish for these hoors.
    The addiction of the dramatics from risking life and limb keeping these feral beasts overriding family time and finances can be kicked.
    Once you commit.

1. Now that you have acknowledged you have a problem try and visualise a life with 365 uninterrupted nights with no cows calving. No feral beast trying to squash the life out of you as you try to keep her offspring alive..

2. Black and white/ black friendly animals look smaller up close than those multicolour feral hoors that you can’t get within 50 yards of.
    But they may be a lot better than you perceive..

3. It is unacceptable to ask family, friends or the hard pressed paye workers to fund your feral hoors for the benefit of your fixation.
    Although whinging about a lack of profitability in an enterprise that has never been anything but is part of the club culture, you have to help yourself.

4. Withdrawal symptoms will be alleviated by uninterrupted pints. Structured time off, ****ing your calving jack into the scrap.
    I have a leg either side of the fence but I keep the sucklers for my own pleasure. If I get a few quid in the post for keeping them in the future then all the better as I'll be getting back some of the money I lost from the erosion of our entitlements :)

Our main herd of cattle are either black & whites or dairy crossbreds.

Fairly similar here, but I've been looking at picking heifers here the last few days to put out with the bull, you know just one or 2 and maybe that one oh and the one over there......

Definitely don't have a problem here :D

Very true about replacements, I had two in mind from memory and based on figures, then I head to the field and doubled to 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I knew I hit rock bottom when i got out of sucklers altogether and went all sheep......thankfully my better half who is also struggling with the affliction has helped me turn the corner by buying back some more sucklers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Hi. I am Poorfarmer. I was once a farmer of moderate means but I got the suckler bug and you all know how that goes.
    My drug of choice is "dim mad baxtards of Limousins"
    I thought I was progressing when I met a dairy farmers daughter with a few acres of her own. Unfortunately now I have a limousin herd and also a dairy cross herd of sucklers because "Oh they're so quiet". Little does she know that they will just become a herd of mad birches when they calve down to the limo bull.
    We also both have full time jobs to try to finance our addictions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ah Sure it could be worse.:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Ah Sure it could be worse.:confused:
    They could run an open farm wellness retreat for ex suckler men and women where you get the chance to go in and take calves, vaccinate, separate calves from cows in pens and bed straw/feed silage.

Could even do the whole experience getting kicked in the jewels or cattle jumping when vaccinating.

Could simulate a cheque coming in from abp etc.

Could do a phone booth where you can ring:

1. A silage contractor and try and charm your way up the list before the weather breaks.

2. A vet at the weekend to help with a calving.

3. Price materials for a shed.

4. Receive a call about stock on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Will probably need a stint in a rehab facility to see the error of my ways alright.

Don't worry, you won't need rehab. The sheep themselves will show you the error of your ways..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

A day like today is the ultimate when it comes to suckler, no real farm income since the spring and you get a text from the DAFM - PAYMENT from Dept OF Agri. Food & Marine.
    You haven't checked your bank balance in weeks cause you know it is poor. You log in hope they paid you at least €1,000 for something or other and you scan all transactions until you see the entry in green - payment received - €18.48.
    You close the app quickly before you see how much you are overdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

I’m 390 kid, my addiction started at a early age fooling around with some red whiteheads that where always here, but that wasn’t enough i wanted bigger wilder cattle and when the humble numbers at home couldn’t settle my addiction I went to the neighbours for my fix, big red women that would ate ya and golden bull calf that I’d be more suited to Cheltenham than the grazing fields around here. I thought I turned a corner this year as they all went with Tb but as where nearly open again to buy I’m bouncing to get them, Jaysus might even chance a purebred or a extremely dear roan one. Will it wear out or should I seek more help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Grueller

390kid wrote: »
    I’m 390 kid, my addiction started at a early age fooling around with some red whiteheads that where always here, but that wasn’t enough i wanted bigger wilder cattle and when the humble numbers at home couldn’t settle my addiction I went to the neighbours for my fix, big red women that would ate ya and golden bull calf that I’d be more suited to Cheltenham than the grazing fields around here. I thought I turned a corner this year as they all went with Tb but as where nearly open again to buy I’m bouncing to get them, Jaysus might even chance a purebred or a extremely dear roan one. Will it wear out or should I seek more help

Don't worry, the money will run out and that might cure the addiction

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    Don't worry, the money will run out and that might cure the addiction

Doubt it, that's not how addictions work, he'll be selling himself on the street for Roan Heifers. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

390kid wrote: »

Would you fancy a few black pollies with go faster tiger stripes on them (1/4 aubrac)? They'd survive on the clippings of a hedge, calve by themselves and go in calf with just the smell of a bull in the next field. I can't guarantee it but I'd nearly think they are immune to TB as well. They are descended from the 16 cows I had left after a major breakdown 5 or 6 years ago.

These ladies have been especially trained to clean out a LIPP paddock better than any topper, they'd even trim the hedges for you outside the hedgecutting closed dates. You'd want a second or third strand of wire here and there though just in case you had to get them into the yard some day or had to keep them out of the silage ground. One strand is grand for when you wouldn't see them every day and they could move themselves if they got a bit hungry or the JFC trough stopped leaking in a paddock.

I know I sound like an enabler but have to reduce numbers a bit as I ticked the later box for the beam scheme :o Just couldn't reduce the numbers in time.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭minerleague

Would you fancy a few black pollies with go faster tiger stripes on them (1/4 aubrac)? They'd survive on the clippings of a hedge, calve by themselves and go in calf with just the smell of a bull in the next field. I can't guarantee it but I'd nearly think they are immune to TB as well. They are descended from the 16 cows I had left after a major breakdown 5 or 6 years ago.

These ladies have been especially trained to clean out a LIPP paddock better than any topper, they'd even trim the hedges for you outside the hedgecutting closed dates. You'd want a second or third strand of wire here and there though just in case you had to get them into the yard some day or had to keep them out of the silage ground. One strand is grand for when you wouldn't see them every day and they could move themselves if they got a bit hungry or the JFC trough stopped leaking in a paddock.

I know I sound like an enabler but have to reduce numbers a bit as I ticked the later box for the beam scheme :o Just couldn't reduce the numbers in time.

Have a look at Cross Timber Bison ( Youtube) tryin to dose his bull if it they are too quiet for you !

Sure we could just chance anything to get the fix

Doubt it, that's not how addictions work, he'll be selling himself on the street for Roan Heifers. :D

Jaysus il hardly cover the price a one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Angus = magic mushrooms
    Black whiteheads = marijuana
    Simmental = LSD
    Limousin = Coke
    Charolais = crack
    Blues = mainline heroin

Outrageous money being asked at the minute on DD for incalf heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Outrageous money being asked at the minute on DD for incalf heifers

You'd have to question who's buying incalf heifers atm

You'd have to question who's buying incalf heifers atm

A few suckler addicts maybe money from the UAE

• Advertisement

Angus = magic mushrooms
    Black whiteheads = marijuana
    Simmental = LSD
    Limousin = Coke
    Charolais = crack
    Blues = mainline heroin

Freisan bullocks - dutch gold

hereford bullocks - budweiser

Jerseys - braseire (small crappy bottle in lidl)

Advertisement