Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deere braking problem

Options
  • 02-07-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, when driving my John Deere 6210se I press the brakes and at the rear of the tractor hydraulic oil squirts out from what I can only describe as a small box with 5 pipes connected to it.

I can see that this “box” is rusted on top and there’s a hole in it where the oil is squirting out. I’ve asked a few friends and looked online for the name of this part thinking I could just get the new one and replace it but to no avail.

Another thing I was wondering was if I rip the pipes connected to it could the whole system some how become air locked.

I’m no machinery man so any help would be greatly appreciated. A few pics of the part…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭emaherx

MrManny wrote: »
    Hi all, when driving my John Deere 6210se I press the brakes and at the rear of the tractor hydraulic oil squirts out from what I can only describe as a small box with 5 pipes connected to it.

I can see that this “box” is rusted on top and there’s a hole in it where the oil is squirting out. I’ve asked a few friends and looked online for the name of this part thinking I could just get the new one and replace it but to no avail.

Another thing I was wondering was if I rip the pipes connected to it could the whole system some how become air locked.

I’m no machinery man so any help would be greatly appreciated. A few pics of the part…

If it's squirting hydraulic oil when you brake I assume it's the trailer brake unit.

invicta wrote: »

Has nothing at all to do with trailer brake plug.

Do NOT go messing with brake pipes unless you know exactly what you’re doing.
    A mechanic at €100/hour is much cheaper than the fu@k up that could happen.

Really? Looks suspiciously like this trailer brake valve
    https://www.sjorupgroup.com/en/brugte-reservedele/traktor-reservedele-brugte/b-reg-trak-hyd-bremsesaet/bremsesaet-john-deere-6920-hydraulisk.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Checked my own 6210 here. By any chance could it be related to the return hose. It is fixed with a jubille clip. This hose could be starting to perish. See link JD parts site https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/66266/level/2/snp/NTUyNTI0OkNIQVBURVJbMTA2MTojQlVTSU5FU1NfUkVHSU9OLDQxMTE6I0NBVEFMT0csNjYyNjY6RVFVSVBNRU5UXQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

invicta wrote: »
    If it's squirting hydraulic oil when you brake I assume it's the trailer brake unit.

Has nothing at all to do with trailer brake plug

Do NOT go messing with brake pipes unless you know exactly what you’re doing.
    A mechanic at €100/hour is much cheaper than the fu@k up that could happen.

It has a lot to do with the trailer brake plug as it’s the trailer brake valve

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/65160/referrer/navigation/pgId/375170303

That’s the parts listing OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

It has a lot to do with the trailer brake plug as it’s the trailer brake valve

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/65160/referrer/navigation/pgId/375170303

That’s the parts listing OP

If you log into the website, you'll see it costs €560 + vat...... I'd check all the pipework carefully first before you go buying one! There are also three O rings in the unit. Could one of them have failed?

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote: »
    If you log into the website, you'll see it costs €560 + vat...... I'd check all the pipework carefully first before you go buying one! There are also three O rings in the unit. Could one of them have failed?

Those Brake units are always quite pricey. The OP says the oil is comming out where there is a hole in a corroded part of the block. Another option would be to remove the unit and bring to an engineering firm to have it repaired.

OP, the tractor brakes will need bleeding after this unit is removed and replaced so if you are not comfortable about working on such things it is a job for someone who is.

It is also possible to have the unit removed if you don't use braked trailers, a little bit of re-pluming would be required. Wouldn't be the route I'd take myself.

As it is an external unit, aftermarket and units from other brands may also be an option as long as they are for the same hydraulic system type and brake fluid type. Something like this one https://www.johnconaty.com/Bosch-shut-down-trailer-brake-valve-0538008379-p/103477.htm says its suitable for OC and LC Hydraulics and Dot4 and LHM brake fluids so should suit most tractors, good bit cheaper than a JD one, there are lots more options out there but most sites don't have prices so some ringing around or e-mailing would be needed. But since you are not a machinery man you'd be best talking with a mechanic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrManny

Hi all, Thanks for all the help, I wasnt expecting all the replies.

Sounds like a job for a mechanic alright, I'll probably get someone to have a look at it in the autumn. Theres a few more things that could be done in it aswell so best get someone that knows what their doing at it. Again thanks for all the useful info.

Advertisement