Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer won't transfer vehicle ownership

• 02-07-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello,

I purchased a new pre-reg car on the 16th of June which I found online from a licensed dealership. I paid cash for it. The balance was submitted on the 21st. They recognised the payment and delivered the car by truck last Saturday 26th.

I inquired about taxing the vehicle and the sales man said he would send notes with the car. He didn't.

I figured out the pin and tried to pay for the tax disc... but the website says the dealership owns the car. How odd, I think, I didn't have this problem last time I bought a car in 2019. So I asked the dealership about it and they replied, "first thing Monday".

Comes Tuesday, "oh, don't you want to wait until the first of the month?" No, I want to drive my new car, I replied. "First thing tomorrow..."

Comes Thursday, nothing yet. I called again, "oh, right a way". Finally, about mid-day, I see a msg on the tax authority website that says "return in 24 hrs".

Comes Friday, same message, return in 24 hours.

Is the dealership playing games, or what?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

Also, can I drive an unlicensed car? I assume not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

you pay tax for the entire calendar month of ownership, regardless of when purchased so the dealer was doing you a favour by saving you a full month of tax by regging it 1 July. He may have explained it badly I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

you pay tax for the entire calendar month of ownership, regardless of when purchased so the dealer was doing you a favour by saving you a full month of tax by regging it 1 July. He may have explained it badly I guess

What a joke. If I ask to have the transfer done now, the dealer should do it now. It is not dealers business to decide for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Looks like they were slow. Presumably being processed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it’s pre reg it may already be taxed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wouldn't have kittens about it. Keep your sales invoice on you in case you're stopped by the Guards until the tax is sorted, but fear not, you'll be charged every cent of tax from the day you bought it when the dealer submits the date of sale.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If it’s pre reg it may already be taxed?

Afraid not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

Most people would just drive untaxed for a few days, I know I did with the receipt in the car, most guards would understand if you were stopped and said book was in the post, or at worst it's a 40 quid fine. It's fairly common to wait till the 1st to register change of ownership especially if it's near the end of month.

Tails142 wrote: »
    Most people would just drive untaxed for a few days, I know I did with the receipt in the car, most guards would understand if you were stopped and said book was in the post, or at worst it's a 40 quid fine. It's fairly common to wait till the 1st to register change of ownership especially if it's near the end of month.

Any issues with insurance driving an untaxed car?

slo007 wrote: »
    Any issues with insurance driving an untaxed car?

Absolutely none.

Besides its not untaxed, it's tax pending post sale, of which you have proof. Not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

You would need to have an extremely grumpy Garda to fine you for no tax on a newly bought car,for the first week or two anyhow.
    Parking attendants now is another matter.

Parking attendants can't hook you for tax, it's not an authorised function. Only AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Parking wardens can issue fines for non display of tax in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You bought a pre reg which may well have been registered by the dealer as a demo on which they get discount from the distributor.
    Ive seen it before - dealer needs to keep the car 3 months to get the discount so if they then sell it early, they drag their heals obmn doing the transfer. This is not usually a major problem as car will generally be taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Lightscribe

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Parking attendants can't hook you for tax, it's not an authorised function. Only AGS.

That's not correct, they can and do issue fines for non-display of a motor tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Larbre34 wrote: »

They absolutely can.

Sorry I should clarify. Brown coat wardens (are there many left?) can, but the likes of the clamping contractors in Dublin City don't go near motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I probably should have said Traffic Wardens (when wearing their hat).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

slo007 wrote: »

Comes Thursday, nothing yet. I called again, "oh, right a way". Finally, about mid-day, I see a msg on the tax authority website that says "return in 24 hrs".

Comes Friday, same message, return in 24 hours.

Is the dealership playing games, or what?

The system is not instantaneous, there will always be a lag time around change of ownership. Yes, the dealer was a bit slow with the paperwork, which didn't help.

I'd say by Tuesday at the latest it should be in your name online to tax. You'll then be waiting a few more days for disc to issue and be posted.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your new car. In the extremely unlikely event something like this ever did make it to a District Court it would be thrown out.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

mickdw wrote: »
    You bought a pre reg which may well have been registered by the dealer as a demo on which they get discount from the distributor.
    Ive seen it before - dealer needs to keep the car 3 months to get the discount so if they then sell it early, they drag their heals obmn doing the transfer. This is not usually a major problem as car will generally be taxed.

It was pre-registered in March, so perhaps this might be it! I saved almost €5k on the car.

It finally cleared today, so I was able to pay the tax and go out for a drive without worry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement