Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Sportage or IX35

• 21-05-2021 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

As the title says, in the market for one of these.

Any owners out there have either and care to comment, 1.7 CRDi is what I am looking at in both,

Can get either model with around 100k km within my budget, so interested to see comments from owners please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same yoke underneath, ix35 isn’t as nice inside or out.
    Either might give transmission trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Either might give transmission trouble.

Cheers for the Colm, am aware of the transmission, any other things to watch, I am more drawn to the Ix35 for some reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Already a similar thread here about them:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058184659

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Either will give transmission trouble.

FYP.

Front wheel drive one is almost guarenteed to need a gearbox rebuild. The only upshot to this is a lot have already had it done.

As for the 4WD, definitely for the brave.

FYP.

Front wheel drive one is almost guarenteed to need a gearbox rebuild. The only upshot to this is a lot have already had it done.

Thanks for this, the Sportage I am looking at is getting a gearbox rebuild at the moment :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That’s a plus, if you really want a Sportage.

That’s a plus, if you really want a Sportage.

Really like them , but that was turning me off? was that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

techie wrote: »
    Really like them , but that was turning me off? was that wrong?

Pretty much every Sportage will need a gearbox rebuild at some point, maybe more than one...if a new clutch is going in and the job is being done correctly (1.5k) and they can prove it then it wouldn't be a turn off....if you really want a Sportage that is, personally don't see the appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Sorry to butt in, but what's the story with the gearboxes in them?
    Looking at SUV,s here too.

Drove a kuga and a Tucson yesterday.
    Dealer had an ix35 also, but didn't have time to drive it.

Tucson has the same box, so does the i30 and i40.

They are made out of tinfoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Have a 2013 1.7CRDI Sportage. Had clutch replaced under dealer warranty 3 days after purchase as she was struggling to engage reverse so can attest to the transmission issues. Bought 10 months ago and no bother aside from that except handbrake cable stretching away to nothing. Lovely big comfy bus, great on diesel, won't win any races. Almost a little basic on the inside with the very aged stereo. Bought as a family car for doing big miles regularly for work and weekends and ticks every box.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Have a 2013 1.7CRDI Sportage. Had clutch replaced under dealer warranty 3 days after purchase as she was struggling to engage reverse so can attest to the transmission issues. Bought 10 months ago and no bother aside from that except handbrake cable stretching away to nothing. Lovely big comfy bus, great on diesel, won't win any races. Almost a little basic on the inside with the very aged stereo. Bought as a family car for doing big miles regularly for work and weekends and ticks every box.

Thanks, good to hear, the 1 am looking at has the pano roof and leather, so some toys, the gearbox and clutch are being done before I buy it, so I think I will go for it.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

FYP.

Looking at buying an 11 Hyundai ix35 2.0d 4wd executive with 150k km on the clock for €8k. Am I crazy?? Will definitely check out if its had gearbox problems.
    Seems an equivalent Sportage or Quashqui would be significantly more expensive...and a bit scarcer to source.

Basically a base spec 2wd Sportage/Quashqui is the same price as the top of the range 4wd Ix35.

I need 4wd and actually wouldn't feel comfortable driving such a high vehicle with just FWD anyway. Any thoughts?

bcklschaps wrote: »
    I need 4wd

I'd stop you there so. Would. Not. Touch.

4WD systems in them are made from chocolate. Failure is almost a certainty at any and every point in the system and virtually impossible to test without the car on a lift.

Most of them out there are incognito 2WD models at this stage.

techie wrote: »
    As the title says, in the market for one of these.

Any owners out there have either and care to comment, 1.7 CRDi is what I am looking at in both,

Can get either model with around 100k km within my budget, so interested to see comments from owners please?

I think the interior of a high specced ix35 is nicer to be in than the sportage. On the exterior the sportage looks a bit more modern.

I'd also consider a titanium specced Kuga not sure what your budget or year is but I'm guessing around 2014.

If you could up your budget a bit, a 2016 Tucson is just better than the IX35 in every way possible.

I am concerned about the stories of mechanical weakness in the Ix35/Sportage ....soo going to widen my search.

Yeah, probably look at Kuga, CR-V, Tiguan etc.

Only problem is with a budget of only 8k .... I'm looking at either older stuff and/or lunar mileage and poverty specs. (Sigh)

Might try up the budget to 10k

Thanks all for contributions

bcklschaps wrote: »
    I am concerned about the stories of mechanical weakness in the Ix35/Sportage ....soo going to widen my search.

Yeah, probably look at Kuga, CR-V, Tiguan etc.

Only problem is with a budget of only 8k .... I'm looking at either older stuff and/or lunar mileage and poverty specs. (Sigh)

Might try up the budget to 10k

Thanks all for contributions

10k would get you a 12/13 A4 Estate / 320D Estate. Might be worth considering.

Zylias wrote: »
    10k would get you a 12/13 A4 Estate / 320D Estate. Might be worth considering.

Not much use though driving through a muddy field towing a trailer/caravan etc.

I know you can get 4wd versions of both, but they are scarce and have usually been to the moon and back mileage wise.

Anyone have any thoughts on Nissan Qashqai/X-Trail?

Seem to be very popular....they both have 4x4 variants too. X-trail in particular seems to be capable of huge mileage

On my budget, I'd be looking at the very last of the previous generation models 2012-13 era. Which I'm ok with...as those run out models were fully loaded with every conceivable extra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement