Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hbomax Caribbean and Latin America

• 30-06-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

HBO max launched in a few other markets yesterday.
    Using surfshark on the laptop I got it for Costa Rica 1990 per month (€2.71 via revolut)
    This is a 50% discount that they say will be honoured as long as the sub is active.
    You do need a vpn to watch and I have only gotten it going on the laptop as yet (will try shield later) but might be of interest to some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have hbomax US. It's about 15 dollars per month. I'm wondering if the content you are getting is the same as US content. There's a big saving if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have hbomax US. It's about 15 dollars per month. I'm wondering if the content you are getting is the same as US content. There's a big saving if you do

It says on the website that account holders in each of the countries can watch while travelling in the others.
    I haven't tried much yet but sounds like it should be ok

w4ntedman wrote:
    It says on the website that account holders in each of the countries can watch while travelling in the others. I haven't tried much yet but sounds like it should be ok

Signed up for a month. So I have 2 account. US one won't work on Porto Rico VPN & the PR account won't work on US vpn. Apart from that the content looks the same in both countries. Its great value. Even full price is barely over 5 euros per month. I'll most likely cancel the US account

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭SteM

Would be interested to hear if you can get this working on a Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭bromley52

Has anyone tried it on a Fire Stick? I'm guessing it will need the local HBO max app.

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote:
    Has anyone tried it on a Fire Stick? I'm guessing it will need the local HBO max app.

There is only one hbomax app. There is a genuine firestick one & both regions work on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

w4ntedman wrote: »
    Using surfshark on the laptop I got it for Costa Rica 1990 per month (€2.71 via revolut)
    This is a 50% discount that they say will be honoured as long as the sub is active.
    You do need a vpn to watch and I have only gotten it going on the laptop as yet (will try shield later) but might be of interest to some.

Do you have a link to the sign up? Do I need to connect to a VPN to sign up, or just for using the app?

Do you have a link to the sign up? Do I need to connect to a VPN to sign up, or just for using the app?

Express VPN works well with this one. You need VPN to Join & watch. My Getflix DNS is now working to view HBOMAX Costa Rica. Still needed VPN to join

https://www.hbolatam.com/cr

EDIT: I used Chrome browser because it was handiest with Google Translate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Looks a great bargain. Any payment issues? I looked up the HBO website but it doesn't give a decent list of whats on it. Any major things on this that make it worth getting?

VyprVPN & Keepsolid VPN don't seem to work with this, give an error during the signup process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm trying this but when I get to the checkout, the price is 14.99USD.

I'm using surfshark on the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Have signed up to the Brazil one as I couldn't get my VPN to work with Costa Rica, the 4k plan is 13.95 Brazilian which works out at about €2.37.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

swingking wrote: »
    I'm trying this but when I get to the checkout, the price is 14.99USD.

I'm using surfshark on the laptop

Maybe try turning off ipv6 if you haven't already. Surfshark Costa Rica using Firefox in private browsing worked when I signed up 2 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

This is working perfectly on the Nvidia Shield with VPN Unlimited in Costa Rica. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,014 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone got the HBO Max app for Firestick? I got the Android version to load but it's not useable with Firestick remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm connected with SurfShark VPN Costa Rica. Whenever I go to the HBO site I keep getting a message "This HBO site does not correspond to the country where you are located"

I have set CR as my location in my HBO profile too. Any ideas?

Using Android smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

w4ntedman wrote: »

I have used Nordvpn on the shield and it worked well.

Anyone got the HBO Max app for Firestick? I got the Android version to load but it's not useable with Firestick remote.

Get the genuine one. Change your prime account settings to US. It's done on PC in a minute. Go to firestick & download all the US apps you want. Change settings back to Ireland or UK depending on previous settings. It's really easy. Have a look at the link below. While you are in US you might as well download other apps like Hulu, Paramount etc in case you want to try them in the future

https://playmo.tv/2017/03/how-to-install-apps-from-different-regions-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Argentina looks cheapest. Does their digital tax apply to this like it does to Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭bromley52

TheDriver wrote: »
    Argentina looks cheapest. Does their digital tax apply to this like it does to Netflix?

When does cheap become basically free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭mel123

Can someone explain. So as per @Sleeper12 post download the apps.
    Then???

Download a VPN on firestick.
    So do you turn on and off the VPN depending on what you want to watch? So lets say i want to watch Prime from my firestick i just watch it as normal, then if i want to watch HBO i go in and turn on the VPN to get that app to work?

Have i got it right?

M

Get the genuine one. Change your prime account settings to US. It's done on PC in a minute. Go to firestick & download all the US apps you want. Change settings back to Ireland or UK depending on previous settings. It's really easy. Have a look at the link below. While you are in US you might as well download other apps like Hulu, Paramount etc in case you want to try them in the future

https://playmo.tv/2017/03/how-to-install-apps-from-different-regions-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Cheers, that worked. I'm impressed with it, great selection :D

bromley52 wrote: »
    When does cheap become basically free?

A true bargain hunter will keep diving until the bottom of the bargain barrel has been reached.

M

mel123 wrote: »
    Can someone explain. So as per @Sleeper12 post download the apps.
    Then???

Download a VPN on firestick.
    So do you turn on and off the VPN depending on what you want to watch? So lets say i want to watch Prime from my firestick i just watch it as normal, then if i want to watch HBO i go in and turn on the VPN to get that app to work?

Have i got it right?

Yes that's it. You might need to Force Stop the HBO App before changing VPN to US/Costa Rica or it may still think it's on Irish VPN. This is done through Settings->Applications->Manage Installed Applications then select HBO Max.

digiman wrote: »
    Have signed up to the Brazil one as I couldn't get my VPN to work with Costa Rica, the 4k plan is 13.95 Brazilian which works out at about €2.37.

Were you asked for a CPF number when you put your cc details in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Thanks OP!

Registered on the computer using keepsolid set to Costarica in private window. App launched on Firestick using US (HBO dedicated VPN option). Works! :D

Signed up via Argentina. It took 1.39 from Rev (which was the correct listed price), then reverted that and charged 2.33.

It wouldn't work on firestick using arg on VPN but works on HBO now dedicated VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Express VPN works well with this one. You need VPN to Join & watch. My Getflix DNS is now working to view HBOMAX Costa Rica. Still needed VPN to join

https://www.hbolatam.com/cr

EDIT: I used Chrome browser because it was handiest with Google Translate

I have a Getflix sub.

Are you saying that, after You use a VPN to sign up, you can watch it using your Getflix settings and not having to use a VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

TheDriver wrote: »
    Signed up via Argentina. It took 1.39 from Rev (which was the correct listed price), then reverted that and charged 2.33.

It wouldn't work on firestick using arg on VPN but works on HBO now dedicated VPN.

Tried Argentina also, but it won't accept my Revolut card, says my payment method cannot be updated.

• Advertisement

My initial try caused my card to be frozen, then went through grand.

Advertisement