Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ed Bundy...Ted Bundy

Options
  • 30-06-2021 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

What was going on with the character naming in Married with Children? Calling a character Ed Bundy 5 years after arch sadistic murderer Ted was put on the electric chair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

What was going on with the character naming in Married with Children? Calling a character Ed Bundy 5 years after arch sadistic murderer Ted was put on the electric chair.

I see it was Al not Ed, the actors first name is ed so got confused. Bit odd to use Bundy all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The characters name was Al bundy not Ed. The actors name was Ed O Neil so it seems like you’ve conflated the two names there. As to why they used a surname that was linked to a serial killer I’ve no idea but I don’t recall hearing that was why they used the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wait until you hear the surnames in Gavin & Stacy

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

salmocab wrote: »
    Wait until you hear the surnames in Gavin & Stacy

Now they were deliberate which got them so push back from the families of the victims of those serial killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Peg Bundy's maiden name..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

The Bundy's were named after the wrestler King Kong Bundy. The neighbours Steve and Marcy were named after Dusty Rhodes. I think there were a couple of minor characters who had wrestler surnames too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

irs wrote: »
    The Bundy's were named after the wrestler King Kong Bundy. The neighbours Steve and Marcy were named after Dusty Rhodes. I think there were a couple of minor characters who had wrestler surnames too.
    https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/married-with-children-the-main-characters-were-actually-named-after-pro-wrestlers.html/

Peggy's unfortunate maiden name explained here..

https://characters.fandom.com/wiki/Peggy_Bundy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Only saw the show a couple of times, that type of Yank sitcom thats not my cuppa but I do remember the characters surname resonating with me and thinking that was weird. I remember the execution of Ted Bundy a few years earlier had been a big news story. Never heard of this wrestler. Its not a particularly common surname tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Eddie Hitler was in bottom. That’s a name that I’d say is far less fashionable than it used to be.

Advertisement