Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian Prison

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If this is true, there ought to be the most severe repercussions; even at European level.
    Couldn't be more appalled.
    Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Has anyone sent this video to Mountjoy, Castlerea and Portlaise yet? As example on how not to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

biko wrote: »
    Has anyone sent this video to Mountjoy, Castlerea and Portlaise yet? As example on how not to behave.

Christian Brothers back in the 70s comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

josip wrote: »
    I'm assuming this wouldn't happen on such a scale in an Irish prison.

I' know someone who served a sentence of a number of years in the three prisons biko mentions above (well, Midlands Prison as opposed to Portlaoise Prion itself, and there was also other two). He had no issues with the prison guards at all during his years inside. In fact, I met some of them myself when they accompanied him to a funeral during his sentence, and they were not only very nice, but went out of their way to facilitate him and make his first appearance in outside in a number of years (at a very distressing time) more comfortable.

That's a shocking video, and I'm glad to see that there's been repercussions already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I lived in Italy and travelling away to watch a game against Fiorentina this is exactly how the Carabinieri beat us. First they kettled us at the train station then they gave us a good hiding as we passed through the gate to the busses. All for no reason too lol. On the way back to the station there were 80 year old guys throwing stones and spitting at the transport buses we were on. This is after they beat us 3-1. Birthplace of the Renaissance.

SerieA is different gravy. So are Italian police.

With regards to the racial element, all the fans were white Italian. Some people just enjoy inflicting pain on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Is there any info out there why are all these foreigners who went to Italy are in prison? I mean if you go somewhere and act like scum and end up in prison, I've no problem with you getting a few slaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The foods probably nice though.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Is there any info out there why are all these foreigners who went to Italy are in prison? I mean if you go somewhere and act like scum and end up in prison, I've no problem with you getting a few slaps.
    2/10. Too obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread moved to Current Affairs. Please observe the local charter.

• Advertisement

It also looks to me that there's probably a strong racial element to it, with the prison officers being mainly white and the prisoners being mainly dark-skinned.

I rewatched the video after reading this part of your OP and I’m genuinely not sure what you’re getting at - while there are a few darker skinned prisoners, as far as I can see the vast majority of the prisoners look like standard Italian lads same as the officers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can someone summarize? Hard to be objective with what I am supposed to be watching when I don't read or speak Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭josip

Overheal wrote: »
    Can someone summarize? Hard to be objective with what I am supposed to be watching when I don't read or speak Italian.

(From the Guardian link)

Dozens of Italian prison guards beat unarmed inmates with truncheons and fists in the aftermath of a coronavirus-related protest last year, video footage captured on surveillance shows.
    The video of the 6 April 2020 incident at the Santa Maria Capua Vetere prison north of Naples was published by Italian daily Domani today, prompting outrage.

Prosecutors launched an investigation last year following complaints by prisoners of retaliatory beatings carried out over four hours the day after an inmate protest prompted by news that an inmate had tested positive for Covid-19, AFP reports.
    Fifty-two people working in the prison network faced arrest or legal action in the case this week, accused variously of torture, violence and abuse of office, with a total of over 110 people under investigation.
    In the more than six minutes of footage compiled by Domani, dozens of prison guards, many of them in helmets and carrying shields, can be seen setting upon inmates.

Prisoners are seen covering their heads as they hurry through a human corridor of guards, receiving slaps on the head, kicks and beatings with truncheons as they pass. In other images, prisoners - some of them limping and in visible pain - can be seen climbing a stairway where guards on a landing slap them or beat them with their batons.
    The images also show an inmate in a wheelchair being hit on the back, and at least three men who have fallen to the ground being beaten and kicked, according to AFP.
    At least 150 inmates barricaded themselves inside their cells during the prison protest last year, according to news reports, nearly a month after a wave of riots in Italian prisons spurred by demands for Covid-19 tests and anger at the banning of family visits during the coronavirus lockdown.
    Text messages between guards revealed that the operation, which involved over 280 penitentiary police, was planned and retaliatory in nature, prosecutors said.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

(From the Guardian link)

Thank you - updated into OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

2/10. Too obvious.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Well, as they say: you can tell a lot about a country and a culture by how they treat their prisoners.

Well, as they say: you can tell a lot about a country and a culture by how they treat their prisoners.

Don't I know it.

I mailed my Senator, Tim Scott, last summer about striking the Form of Punishment clause from the 13th Amendment in the US constitution. He actually had a staffer give me a courtesy call, but they argued the idea was politically nonviable, ie. getting rid of slavery in the united states as a form of punishment.

Coordinated brutality like that reported here in Italy is sick. The best remedy would be to rotate that entire force out of the criminal justice industry wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder if any of the prisoners they were beating up are members of the mafia, my bet is they werent.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It also looks to me that there's probably a strong racial element to it, with the prison officers being mainly white and the prisoners being mainly dark-skinned.
    I rewatched the video after reading this part of your OP and I’m genuinely not sure what you’re getting at - while there are a few darker skinned prisoners, as far as I can see the vast majority of the prisoners look like standard Italian lads same as the officers? :confused:

Yeah, I think the OP might want to upgrade to a better monitor or screen

Yeah, I think the OP might want to upgrade to a better monitor or screen

Some people just want a racial aspect to everything, and will wedge it in if they have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It doesn't appear from the article or video that this was anything to do with race but with vengeance for a "rebellion" because of demands for virus tests and keeping family away during lockdown.
    At least 150 inmates barricaded themselves inside their cells during the prison protest last year, according to news reports, nearly a month after a wave of riots in Italian prisons spurred by demands for Covid-19 tests and anger at the banning of family visits during the coronavirus lockdown.

It's a military prison. By legal only prisoners of war, army prisoners and police criminals are kept there. I think a nazi war criminal was held there until recently

LorenzoB wrote: »
    It's a military prison. By legal only prisoners of war, army prisoners and police criminals are kept there. I think a nazi war criminal was held there until recently

If it happens in Guantamo it's okay, basically?

I wonder where all these perfect prisons are?

Not US, not Russia, or SE Asia, China, pretty much all Africa, Middle East, South America, most countries in oh so great EU...

If it happens in Guantamo it's okay, basically?

I don't understand your comment. Is guanatimo in Cuba? How is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I wonder where all these perfect prisons are?

Not US, not Russia, or SE Asia, China, pretty much all Africa, Middle East, South America, most countries in oh so great EU...

Most prisons in the EU absolutely do not do what was going on in that video, nor does the EU run Italian prisons.

There should be consequences for breech of European human rights laws and treaty commitments though.

If a member state can’t provide minimum standards of human rights, such as a guarantee of not abusing or torturing prisoners, it seems reasonable it should lose access to EU arrest and extradition warrants etc until such time that it can guarantee minimum standards.

The EU needs to have a backbone on these issues and remember that it was founded largely as a response to absolute horrors of human rights abuses in Europe during WWII.

LorenzoB wrote: »
    I don't understand your comment. Is guanatimo in Cuba? How is that?

"It's a military prison. By legal only prisoners of war, army prisoners and police criminals are kept there. I think a nazi war criminal was held there until recently"

You seem to be arguing that it's okay to abuse prisoners when they are POWs and Nazis. I'm asking you to verify that. Does that logic apply to a support of Guantanamo Bay and its mistreatment of prisoners?

"It's a military prison. By legal only prisoners of war, army prisoners and police criminals are kept there. I think a nazi war criminal was held there until recently"

You seem to be arguing that it's okay to abuse prisoners when they are POWs and Nazis. I'm asking you to verify that. Does that logic apply to a support of Guantanamo Bay and its mistreatment of prisoners?

Where do I say I approve abuse? It says much about your person that you inepret this. Shame for you.

Sadistic bastards. I despair at what "humans" can do to each other.

• Advertisement

Most prisons in the EU absolutely do not do what was going on in that video, nor does the EU run Italian prisons.

There should be consequences for breech of European human rights laws and treaty commitments though.

If a member state can’t provide minimum standards of human rights, such as a guarantee of not abusing or torturing prisoners, it seems reasonable it should lose access to EU arrest and extradition warrants etc until such time that it can guarantee minimum standards.

The EU needs to have a backbone on these issues and remember that it was founded largely as a response to absolute horrors of human rights abuses in Europe during WWII.

Again, where are these great prisons?

Advertisement