Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car for a dog?

Options
  • 29-06-2021 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm thinking of changing cars- we have a boisterous labrador that we take out to beach, park etc. current car is too small.
    Preference is an estate car with a large boot to a jeep/ SUV type vehicle.
    Any thoughts on the mazda6 tourer or any other opinions id love to hear them, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just so you know, a dog licence doesn't actually allow the dog to drive! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Octavia estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

Rover

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

Anything with a ruff rack.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If it's something like a Great Dane, a fiat punto would be a bit of a no no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Skoda Roomster, if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Estate car probably better. SUV boot floor is higher so dog might have to be lifted in and out. And generally SUV boots are smaller than estate. Invest in a decent boot liner for when the poor devil ultimately womits back there.

I think it's either the Honda crv or the Nissan x trail that has an electric dog ramp as an optional extra... Saw it in a brochure long time back. But I'd imagine they never sold one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Corgi.

An automatic with adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, active collision avoidance, active parking assistance and a seriously good insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Skoda Yeti or a VW Caddy passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Make sure he stays away from the cats eyes on the road :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

A boot liner is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nissan Qashkai. It’s an absolute dog to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

any estate - as its easier for the dog to get in and out of.

I had a superb estate for years and it was the perfect dog taxi (i've three!!)

The lab is now old and immobile (almost 16 years old) .. so trips in the car are limited to the vets and the beach to let him get a bit of a swim / soak the bones .. and he needs to be lifted in to the boot and out of it .. so the flat bootlid and low boot were a god send for the wife. We have recently gotten rid of the superb and it's badly missed for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We’ve a 7 seater vehicle Touran, keep a large crate in the boot, dog is more the. Happy to travel in it.

Do yo answer your question, any car that allows you to carry a crate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For anyone worried about getting their dog into the boot Lidl have you covered

https://www.lidl.ie/p/the-pet-event/dog-ramp/p12990

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Del2005 wrote: »

you'd think !!!

I've invested in ramps and my Lab would still attempt to jump in to the book beside it despite not being able to jump !

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Loads of good recommendations above.
    Age and size of dog are relevant.

Have had an estate car - Peugeot 407 that was perfect height and a flat boot from door inwards.
    Current family car is a 5008 and is the same, flat boot and good space when the extra 2 seats are down.

Re: SUVs.
    Had a 2014 Kia Sportage that had a flat boot too but it was too high for comfortable entrance/exit.

Currently have a Mk2 Honda Crv as a runaround which is a perfect dog car. Oceans of space and perfectly flat. One dog needs a little leg up but it's a decent height. Smaller dogs would need help. The newer CRVs are much higher so not ideal.

A good roomy estate would be a good option, tbh. Most new SUVs are that little bit too high for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »

Tried one of these and they're too slippy . The dog wouldn't use it and we gave it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What about for dogs who insist on sitting in a seat with the hooomans.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

i got rid rid of a 2016 6 series coupe because of a covid dog.

i went for a 2012 rx450h, decent power when needed and grand boot for the bowler:D

Advertisement