Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a Juwel Vision 260

Options
  • 29-06-2021 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am thinking of buying one of these tanks . Are they any good or is there another brand I should consider ?

I see they come with their own filtration - is this enough for a stocked tank or would I be be better off with some type of external can .

Thanks
    Barr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have one the last couple of years (and had a 180 for years prior). Juwel are one of the most popular brands so they'd be quite reputable although the visions aren't their most popular models.

If you're buying new (I wouldn't), the new LEDs are the right job, the drivers/ballasts in the tube lights on the older models give out after a few years. They're simple enough replacement but you need to cut open the unit to get at them.

The internal filters are grand, good strong flow on the pump and totally quiet but the media is a bit undersized so I use an external filter also (plenty of room in the stand).

I like the proportions of them compared to some tanks, their quite tall and wide

Any other questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

I have a Rio 240 for the last 11 years and it was second hand when I got it. It's survived 3 house moves in that time. Like Alkers, I did away with the internal filter and went with two external JBL 900 and 901 canister filters purely for redundancy as I used to spend a lot of time away from home, if one died the other would be enough to sustain life and give the missus little headache.

The lighting unit did pack up but the tank came with an external unit that I was able to retrofit as the previous owner had a heavily planted tank. I have zero plants as I keep cold water fish so lighting for me is purely decorative.

Not sure about the Vision series but I don't think you will go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Alkers wrote: »
    I have one the last couple of years (and had a 180 for years prior). Juwel are one of the most popular brands so they'd be quite reputable although the visions aren't their most popular models.

If you're buying new (I wouldn't), the new LEDs are the right job, the drivers/ballasts in the tube lights on the older models give out after a few years. They're simple enough replacement but you need to cut open the unit to get at them.

The internal filters are grand, good strong flow on the pump and totally quiet but the media is a bit undersized so I use an external filter also (plenty of room in the stand).

I like the proportions of them compared to some tanks, their quite tall and wide

Any other questions just ask

Thanks for the replies , seems to be positive so far .

Is the vision worth the extra for a curved glass . Does it make much of a difference in reality .

Looking at the Juwel site , it looks really well .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Offspring

I don't own a Juwel, but from what I've read in reviews on reddit and the like, the curved tanks make life very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Offspring wrote: »
    I don't own a Juwel, but from what I've read in reviews on reddit and the like, the curved tanks make life very difficult.

In what way? I've always had a vision as I like the proportions of them, sure it's a personal preference but they certainly don't cause any difficulty. The bow in the front isn't extreme at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Offspring wrote: »

I don’t see how a curved front would make things difficult, it should be all the one really .

Unless it’s the cylindrical ones you are thinking of .They are tall so maybe more difficult to maintain . I haven't looked into those types but they do look modern /well

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Offspring

Barr wrote: »
    I don’t see how a curved front would make things difficult, it should be all the one really .

Unless it’s the cylindrical ones you are thinking of .They are tall so maybe more difficult to maintain . I haven't looked into those types but they do look modern /well

Again, I don't own one, I just know that's the general sentiment that I've read on reddit.

Advertisement