Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Hybrid thoughts

Options
  • 29-06-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

We’re used to seeing petrol hybrids around, there are also diesels too. What’s your thoughts on buying diesel? The fuel range is still unbeaten in diesels and now there’s also the reduced co2. Is it too late for diesel though?

It’s a shame that diesels had a greater co2 output as they always were a great alternative for long range driving. Few if any really drove smoothly and always were heavy and felt tiring to drive

I've recently driven both diesel and petrol hybrids pretty much back to back and it’s amazing the leap in driveability diesel hybrids now have.

This is a review in a diesel hybrid and for those who need the extra mileage, I think they’re still worth looking into.

https://youtu.be/ZBBG4EM3-UM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

dosent seem theres a market for it, its either petrol hybrid / phev, or electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Get something with a plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The reason diesels are economical these days is more down to the fuel being cheaper than efficiency. A lot of the technology that made diesel efficient has been replicated in petrol engines now to the overall efficiency is fairly similar

The lower CO2 emissions of diesel were offset by the added particulates and NOX they created, one of the main causes of our terrible air quality these days

Petrol hybrids were most efficient at city driving, since diesels were focused towards long distances the advantages of a hybrid are largely lost

Diesel PHEVs might make a bit more sense since they have an all electric mode

But to be frank, BEVs nowadays have such long range and low running costs that I don't see how any fossil engine can compete

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Get something with a plug.

I don't like being pedantic but that phrase really should be get something with a socket :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't like being pedantic but that phrase really should be get something with a socket :)

He's just trying to ensure the OP doesn't go with one of the suppliers who doesn't include a granny charger or a cable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Diesels have an order of magnitude more components which are high stress, can fail and are expensive (dpf, dmf, turbo). Add in even more components, equally as expensive, and a single failure will cost you more than any potential savings.

Not to mention the brutal effects on air quality.

Advertisement