Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2011 Cooking Club Week 39: Caramel Squares

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

^^Doesn't really seem like any less effort than doing it on the hob?

Plus everyone's microwave is a different wattage so "full power" will be different timings depending on what you have. Mine's a beast :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Malari wrote: »
    ^^Doesn't really seem like any less effort than doing it on the hob?

Plus everyone's microwave is a different wattage so "full power" will be different timings depending on what you have. Mine's a beast :P

It has never, ever, ever burned on me and I can answer the phone/door without hassle. Don't knock it til you've tried it. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Dubl07 wrote: »
    It has never, ever, ever burned on me and I can answer the phone/door without hassle. Don't knock it til you've tried it. :D:p

I've never burned it on the hob either. Door and phone be damned :D Some things are more important!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Finally, after years, I made these! Have had them on my mind since chatting about caramel in the ‘baked anything tasty’ thread a couple of weeks ago.

Only had a 13x9 pan so doubled the recipe as suggested. Kinda wish I hadn’t doubled the base and wish I had pressed it down harder and baked it slightly longer as it’s quite crumbly. Delighted I doubled the caramel though cause it’s bloody delicious!!! No issues with burning the caramel thankfully, just took it very slowly and stirred until I had a cramp in my shoulder. Put a sprinkle of salt between the caramel and chocolate but unfortunately not enough to taste it properly. Will try a bit more next time. Next time is likely to be before the end of this week, THAT’S how good these are. Thanks Faith for the lovely recipe and great tips!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

So I made these at the weekend again, instead of chocolate on top I put banana and cream( bonoffe style) and they went down a treat, but will probably stick with chocolate next time, love the the cooking club recipes have tried good dishes and are easy to understand even for a wack all into one pot type like me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Is there any good alternative to golden syrup that I could use? I’m living in the US and currently there’s nowhere that sells it near me. Wanted to make these for Thanksgiving this week so I’m hoping there’s a decent sub that I can get.
    Thanks for suggestions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd imagine corn syrup would be a good substitute - and after a quick Google light corn syrup, also called maize syrup would be best because it has a milder flavour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yup, corn syrup will do the job just fine. Neither honey nor molasses will work, from experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Made these yet again, but this time with a gluten free base for a guest who can't eat gluten. It was simply a matter of using the same recipe for the base but with an extra 50g when using gluten free flour. It was slightly more crumbly but apart form that you'd never know it was GF :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

These are currently cooling in the fridge, such a lovely, easy recipe.
    Through boredom I've just flicked over most pages in this thread, it must be the friendliest, happiest thread on all of boards.
    Thanks again for sharing Faith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Made these last night - they are so good

Probably could have cooked the caramel a bit longer to get a darker colour but haven't had any complaints from my taste tester ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Made these last night - they are so good

Probably could have cooked the caramel a bit longer to get a darker colour but haven't had any complaints from my taste tester ðŸ˜

How did you cut them so perfectly?! My caramel goes everywhere when I cut them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

How did you cut them so perfectly?! My caramel goes everywhere when I cut them!

I cut them in the tin (seemed to be the advice given by a lot of people in the thread). Heated the knife in hot water too so it would go through the chocolate without cracking it too much

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I saved this recipe a long time ago to make but this was the first time I attempted them and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I made these at the weekend for a family bake off and they went down fairly well. They were pretty simple to make thanks to the instructions here and the tip below for cutting was really helpful too as my caramel turned out to be soft and squishy. I realised this when cutting individual ones in half to share :pac:
    I cut them in the tin (seemed to be the advice given by a lot of people in the thread). Heated the knife in hot water too so it would go through the chocolate without cracking it too much

521299.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I've made so many of these over the last year for small celebrations for family/friends really gone down a treat, now i think i kicked myself up the ass here, I've been asked to make them for Christmas and at the moment I've 15 requests ffs ... but the think about it i enjoy making them and seen people enjoy them... and the bottle of wine i get in return so its probably win win for me. Thanks again faith for the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

These have been on my "To-Do" list since the first post. I NEED to make them. Will definitely get to them this Christmas.......I swear!

I've actually just made a batch myself :). I think I slightly overdid the caramel so it might be more chewy than desired!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I’ve made these so many times for different people and they’re always snapped up. I could honest to God, sell them over here at this point.
    Perfect recipe and gets easier everytime.

10 years on and I still make these and they are always SO well received! I still struggle with getting my caramel firm though so today I read through every single post in the thread for some tips! I’m currently licking the saucepan :p not sure if it will be any firmer than usual but it tastes delicious as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭MacDanger

10 years on and I still make these and they are always SO well received! I still struggle with getting my caramel firm though so today I read through every single post in the thread for some tips! I’m currently licking the saucepan :p not sure if it will be any firmer than usual but it tastes delicious as always!

To save me 16 pages of reading, can you share the main tips please? :)

• Advertisement

That's commonly my problem too. Recently I've been using a sugar thermometer and aiming to get it to soft ball or firm ball stage. Probably a temperature of about 118 degrees C is about right, I reckon.

MacDanger wrote: »
    To save me 16 pages of reading, can you share the main tips please? :)

Melt the butter fully first. Then add the condensed milk and stir in. Then add the golden syrup bit by bit (I double the recipe so I add two tbsps, stir in, then add the other 2), then slowly add the sugar. Stir CONSTANTLY. Don’t fiddle with the heat! Let it come to a gentle boil slowly. Once it’s boiling keep stirring for a good 5 mins at least. In the past I’ve had mine on too-high a heat and it’s been boiling big bubbles, and the caramel has ended up grainy and horrible.

Not sure if adding the ingredients bit by bit like that actually changes much, but that’s what I took from what seemed to be the most successful posts in the thread :D

Faith wrote: »
    That's commonly my problem too. Recently I've been using a sugar thermometer and aiming to get it to soft ball or firm ball stage. Probably a temperature of about 118 degrees C is about right, I reckon.

After all this time I should just order one! It’s a temperamental recipe (pun intended) but even when they come out “not great” they’re still delicious :)

I think it’s could be cos I double the recipe but the caramel still isn’t the perfect consistency. No complaints though, still yum!

Looks great though! What are you finding is the issue with the caramel?

Looks great though! What are you finding is the issue with the caramel?

My first few times making them years ago the caramel turned out golden and nearly translucent, and held together really firmly (didn’t ooze out loads). Since then it’s always been a duller/cloudier looking caramel and doesn’t hold firm. I dunno if I’m being unnecessarily hard on myself :D

My first few times making them years ago the caramel turned out golden and nearly translucent, and held together really firmly (didn’t ooze out loads). Since then it’s always been a duller/cloudier looking caramel and doesn’t hold firm. I dunno if I’m being unnecessarily hard on myself :D

My best guess on that is that the temperature is not getting high enough. I've had that a few times and it's almost like a fudge texture? I'd suggest cooking for an extra few minutes.

My best guess on that is that the temperature is not getting high enough. I've had that a few times and it's almost like a fudge texture? I'd suggest cooking for an extra few minutes.

Sugar thermometor is on the way, so hopefully I'll perfect them next time!

Sugar thermometor is on the way, so hopefully I'll perfect them next time!

I suppose you've no choice but to make them again so. Bummer.

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement