Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone know if the French are administering free PCR tests to tourists on Sundays?
    Not a lot happens in France on Sundays.

Also Stena require a negative PCR for passengers on the ferry to France, whereas France only requires a negative Antigen test at the moment.
    https://www.stenaline.ie/travel-restrictions/france

Are Stena setting the rules they want for their ship and crew independently of the destination country's requirements?
    Or have they just copied the restrictions that apply to the UK and assumed they are the same for Ireland? I see "non-NHS" in the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

josip wrote: »
    Also Stena require a negative PCR for passengers on the ferry to France, whereas France only requires a negative Antigen test at the moment.
    https://www.stenaline.ie/travel-restrictions/france

Are Stena setting the rules they want for their ship and crew independently of the destination country's requirements?
    Or have they just copied the restrictions that apply to the UK and assumed they are the same for Ireland? I see "non-NHS" in the text.

I saw this few weeks ago and didn't pay attention to it as the links they provide as reference say antigen accepted as well.
    But since you brought it up, it made me wonder again...

I sent them a message to clarify the discrepancy here https://www.stenaline.ie/customer-services
    I hope they get back quickly.
    If anybody gets answer faster via call, please report back ;)

Edit:
    Note the red box on that site https://www.stenaline.ie/travel-restrictions/france
    I personally read it like: This info could be outdated, check here as we don't update this regularly.
    FOR THE MOST UP TO DATE GOVERNMENT TRAVEL ADVICE CLICK LINKS BELOW:

kampik wrote: »
    I saw this few weeks ago and didn't pay attention to it as the links they provide as reference say antigen accepted as well.
    But since you brought it up, it made me wonder again...

I sent them a message to clarify the discrepancy here https://www.stenaline.ie/customer-services
    I hope they get back quickly.
    If anybody gets answer faster via call, please report back ;)

Edit:
    Note the red box on that site https://www.stenaline.ie/travel-restrictions/france
    I personally read it like: This info could be outdated, check here as we don't update this regularly.

I asked them this morning via that link also. :)
    I think I'll have to call them to get an answer in time though.

[Update] I just called them and was kind of freaked out when they answered immediately without even a single ringtone.
    (I spent a lot of time calling 123 last week and have become used to long wait times with annoying holding music.)
    Anyways, the guy was completely clear, only PCR accepted onboard the Rosslare-Cherbourg route, even though France do accept Antigen.
    At least we have certainty, and we get an extra days travel on the back of the PCR, so the extra costs is not a total loss.
    Has anyone used https://gosafe48.ie/ for PCR testing?

Yeah, it's really weird.
    We have phoned all possible numbers for Stena.
    Even when you ring Dublin number you speak to UK person and all say the same, PCR test only. They really pick up instantly, not a single ring tone.
    We even rang Rosslare stena number and the same answer.
    I have cancelled my antigen and going for PCR instead.
    I guess we will find out on Thursday who was right :(
    It seems like Stena doesn't differ between Ireland and UK unless I'm missing something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Has anyone bought travel insurance?

Prices are varying enormously (I've 3 quotes ranging from €66 - €200!) and it's difficult to tell what they will cover really. Though in fairness the €200 one states clearly it will cover accommodation costs so long as you let them arrange it.

Interested in what others have found? Want to buy before I pay balance on campsite...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

ellee wrote: »
    Has anyone bought travel insurance?

Prices are varying enormously (I've 3 quotes ranging from €66 - €200!) and it's difficult to tell what they will cover really. Though in fairness the €200 one states clearly it will cover accommodation costs so long as you let them arrange it.

Interested in what others have found? Want to buy before I pay balance on campsite...

I would interested in this too.
    Do all 3 have Covid cover ?
    Who is the underwriter for the €200 one ?

I looked at Battleface, the AA and Blue. All seemed to have basic covid medical cover at least but a bit unclear what they would cover after that.

I made a mistake on Battleface actually, does not provide accommodation cover... no idea why it so expensive so.

ok, rang multi trip and the main limitation seems to be that if the advice changes from govt re travelling, then policy would be null and void and you would not get anything back even though you had to cancel.

You only get to use the cancellation clause if one of you gets covid prior to travel.

If advice changes while abroad that is different and you are still covered.

Otherwise if covid hits while abroad, you do get assistance with extra accommodation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

ellee wrote: »
    ok, rang multi trip and the main limitation seems to be that if the advice changes from govt re travelling, then policy would be null and void and you would not get anything back even though you had to cancel.

You only get to use the cancellation clause if one of you gets covid prior to travel.

Otherwise if covid hits while abroad, you do get assistance with extra accommodation etc.

Thanks Ellee. Good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Goingaway27

Heading to france on the 6th of Aug. I'll have 1 kid to get a pcr test coming home, 2 questions, #1 does anyone know the turnaround time on pcr test in france, #2 is the 72 hours from when the test was taken to boarding?

Cheers all.
    Can't wait to get away!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Heading to france on the 6th of Aug. I'll have 1 kid to get a pcr test coming home, 2 questions, #1 does anyone know the turnaround time on pcr test in france, #2 is the 72 hours from when the test was taken to boarding?

Cheers all.

My advice is don't rely on anything other than official notifications / information.

Click on https://reopen.europa.eu/en which is an official EU website that is always up to date.

On the site choose "Travel Plan", enter the country you are departing from and arriving into and follow the up to date official guidance on what's needed to depart, arrive etc.

Currently the advice for entering Ireland from France is "proof of a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival."

After July 19th this won't apply to those with an official EU Digital Covid Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Cheers all.

I don't know for sure but our campsite told us to book the PCR on the day before travelling. They said you only need to ring a few hours before turning up for the test. Its free. (to be clear, this is the French PCR)

I assume the result must be sent that night or within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Deeman83 wrote: »
    I don't know for sure but our campsite told us to book the PCR on the day before travelling. They said you only need to ring a few hours before turning up for the test. Its free. (to be clear, this is the French PCR)

I assume the result must be sent that night or within 24 hours.

Foreign tourists and visitors will no longer be eligible for free Covid tests in France, the government has announced, blaming a "lack of reciprocity" from other countries.
    Visitors who need a Covid test while in France – including a travel test to return home – will from July 7th have to pay for it. However, prices are capped at €49 for a PCR test or €29 for the rapid-result antigen test (known as a lateral flow test in some countries).

Tests for residents will continue to be free, including tests for travel.

“It’s a matter of reciprocity, knowing that French people who travel have to pay for tests in most countries,” government spokesman Gabriel Atta said in an interview with Les Echos newspaper.

Not long announced but PCR tests are no longer free in France to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goingaway27

Just trying to figure out the timing for the test. Enough time to get the result Vs the 72 hour max time limit. I assume you won't be allowed to board ship home without negative test.

We're heading east to burgundy, any highlights there i should make a effort to see?

We have arrived in France. Phew.
    At Rosslare passport check we were asked to show covid test(we had PCR as Stena wanted) and asked if we have the sworn declarations. I asked if antigen would be ok as well and reply was that she would have to check:D
    Ferry trip was relaxed, not busy, common sense used for wearing the masks.
    At passport check, in Cherbourgh, we just showed our passports, they didn't want anything else to see.

I was worried too about the 72 hours as Stena said on the website, 72 before departure, but then a text came yesterday from them saying, 72 before arrival to France.
    My 72 hours expired 3 hours before arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

At Rosslare passport check we were asked to show covid test(we had PCR as Stena wanted) and asked if we have the sworn declarations. I asked if antigen would be ok as well and reply was that she would have to check:D
    At passport check, in Cherbourgh, we just showed our passports, they didn't want anything else to see.

I was worried too about the 72 hours as Stena said on the website, 72 before departure, but then a text came yesterday from them saying, 72 before arrival to France.

Enjoy your holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woodstocklive

Just leaving Cork on the Pont Aven. Only request at Port was in respect to covid status (all fully vaccinated). Nobody enquired into reason for travel. I'd say boat at 25% capacity at most

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Just leaving Cork on the Pont Aven. Only request at Port was in respect to covid status (all fully vaccinated). Nobody enquired into reason for travel. I'd say boat at 25% capacity at most

Thanks for the update. Have a great trip.

Thank you for posting. Have a great trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

We arrived in France last Tuesday, it was all up in the air and after many changes, campsites and Ferrys for numerous reasons we're so relieved just to be here and out of the obsession with cases & variants, not good for anyone's mental health especially the kids.

The last change for us was when our brittany sailing from Ringaskiddy on the 26th of June was postponed so Kelair happily moved our booking to Rosslare on the Connemara, what I really wasn't expecting was the Guards at the Port in Rosslare asking every car where they were going and what their reason was for traveling, the Guard seemed reasonable enough but just shook his head in annoyance and thankfully didn't fine us, I would have fought it the whole way though as my wife and I are fully Vaccinated and had negative Antigen tests.

The Connemara was busy but never uncomfortable, the negative test was never asked for so that was a bit of a waste of money but I would prefer to have it than not to.

As a previous poster mentioned it was plane sailing on the French side, they couldn't have been nicer. We drove 4.5 hours to Le Littoral and it was like a ghost town for the first 4 days because French holidays haven't started but 800 people checked in yesterday so it's buzzing now.

We're here for the usual month, moving onto Pont Aven after this then finishing up in Benodet so our return date is after the 19th which really shouldn't make and difference bar requiring a PCR for our eldest so we'll worry about that in a few weeks.

As I said last year and I'll say it once again it's the absolute best decision we've made this year and I would advise anyone that is in a position to travel to get the hell out of that place as fast as possible because it's not normality and it's certainly not healthy.

Enjoy everyone whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Good for you, Flangemeistro!
    We sailed last year, amongst much negativity, and really enjoyed our time.
    Skipped it this year ( probably unwisely) but DV next year going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭eltonyio

Just checked in for the WB Yeats for Cherbourg. No gardai around today asking silly questions that I can see, but lots and lots of customs officials checking every car (maybe that's normal though).

No problem with antigen tests (29 euro ones from medel).

Ferry looks busy, full of families, bike racks, campers, etc. The pandemic is over for this lot!

On board WBY now. No questions at all. Passports and Covid status checked (Ag tests). All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

Thanks to everybody that has posted here on their experience of the trip over to France.

Have a fantastic holiday everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Thanks for posting have a great trip are all the bars / restaurants open on the WB Y , or is it similar to last summer ( just club class and the main restaurant?)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭eltonyio

Didn't go last year so can't compare but not everything is open no. Kids area, cinema and restaurant closed anyway.

Edit to say the main restaurant and bar are open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

eltonyio wrote: »
    Didn't go last year so can't compare but not everything is open no. Kids area, cinema and restaurant closed anyway.

Edit to say the main restaurant and bar are open though.

By the main restaurant, do you mean the self service, or the sit down one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

Does anyone know if Irish Ferries are accepting completed HSE vaccination cards as proof of vaccination. Or would we be safer getting antigen tests?

Advertisement