Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Ireland App and marker

Options
  • 28-06-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I’m playing a round of golf with a buddy, we are members of different clubs and playing away from both our clubs (in Ireland though). If we decide to declare the round for HC purpose on golf Ireland app can we use each other as markers? Have only ever done it on home golf club with a fellow member.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

higster wrote: »
    I’m playing a round of golf with a buddy, we are members of different clubs and playing away from both our clubs (in Ireland though). If we decide to declare the round for HC purpose on golf Ireland app can we use each other as markers? Have only ever done it on home golf club with a fellow member.

yes any GUI member can mark you as long as you can find them at any course

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Make sure you have a good internet connection. Can be a pain if it's poor and can't find them. You can do it before you get to the course to be sure that it works. Assuming you're not hours away from it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I've never been able to find any player not from my home club. Surname, fullname, GUI number.. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

whizbang wrote: »
    I've never been able to find any player not from my home club. Surname, fullname, GUI number.. Nothing.

I've used this a few times with guests. I had to select their home course first and then use their GUI no. Can't search by name unless they are in your own club. This is due to GDPR and I believe is the only way to find people from outside your club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

coillcam wrote: »
    I've used this a few times with guests. I had to select their home course first and then use their GUI no. Can't search by name unless they are in your own club. This is due to GDPR and I believe is the only way to find people from outside your club.

I had to do the same at an away course the weekend, couldn't find by name even though he was on my friends list.

Also one of the playing partner forget to set up the scorecard on the app so he was trying to do it on the first hole, but it wouldn't let him as he wasnt in close proximity to the course according to the app. Are they using specific GPS points that you have to be within a few meters of?

• Advertisement

DuckSlice wrote: »
    I had to do the same at an away course the weekend, couldn't find by name even though he was on my friends list.

Also one of the playing partner forget to set up the scorecard on the app so he was trying to do it on the first hole, but it wouldn't let him as he wasnt in close proximity to the course according to the app. Are they using specific GPS points that you have to be within a few meters of?
    I think it works to a much looser geographical location than a few meters. I've heard of people being able to do it within 2km of the course. But the difficulty would be in how your location is being reported by your phone. Usually if connected by WiFi, location is pretty exact. But if through your data provider, it could be via IP and that could place you anywhere in the country (within reason of course - Like I've been located in Dublin when actually in Wicklow).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think it works to a much looser geographical location than a few meters. I've heard of people being able to do it within 2km of the course. But the difficulty would be in how your location is being reported by your phone. Usually if connected by WiFi, location is pretty exact. But if through your data provider, it could be via IP and that could place you anywhere in the country (within reason of course - Like I've been located in Dublin when actually in Wicklow).

I would have thought its using the GPS of the phone for location? GI don't like doing things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

One thing I have noticed with the app is that you always need to close it properly and re-open it for the GPS to work correctly.

I would have thought its using the GPS of the phone for location? GI don't like doing things simple.
    It should. But some people have that turned off or it's not available due to atmospheric reasons. Just there, I tried on my phone and since I'm indoors, I'm getting 'Location unavailable'. At least it says this in the app, so you can try and resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

I can't speak for the exact requirements but only share my own experience. I've set up scorecards after the first green as the internet/GPS wasn't syncing like in your situation and I had to restart the phone. No problem submitting afterwards. Another time I forgot to submit the finalised card at the course with my mate and I submitted it from home a few mins later. I live about 6-7km away as the crow flies.

The only restriction that I've noticed is 9 hole cards can only be submitted an hour after creating and 18 hole cards only after 2 hours. I think the idea here is to ensure people create the card legitimately rather than park the car for 5 mins to enter spurious scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The GPS just seems patchy in general. I tried to do standing beside the Pro Shop, on the first tee, on the second tee and again on the fourth tee the other day and it just kept saying I wasn't in close proximity to the course.

Advertisement