Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Children at Weddings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

.....But I do think what the bride and groom wants for their wedding day, trumps all.

As a guest, I would never expect a B&G to make exceptions or deviate from what they want for their wedding day to suit me as a guest, i would never approach them and ask them to.....

That's the long and the short of it really. Whatever the feck the Bride and Groom want... kids/no kids, dress code etc etc then that's the plan for the day. If it doesn't work for you as a guest, then just politely decline the invitation and wish them best of luck. It's a real dick move to go putting pressure on the Bride and Groom to change their plans just to suit you as a guest.

eviltwin wrote: »
    No need for a sly dig at that poster. Finding suitable child care isn’t always easy. Not everyone has kids who will settle with a sitter or has people they can call on. And sometimes if you do they are going to the wedding too.

I agree with the first part of your post et but that person had no problem getting their own dig in with assuming brides can have 'special princess syndrome'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

No kids .. adults will be drinking and most likely getting drunk.
    It's not the 80's .

woodchuck wrote: »
    Why should the couple have to pay for extra entertainment for children they even don't want there though?

Also some venues can't accomodation bouncy castles or clowns. I'm getting married in a restaurant and there's literally no extra space for that kind of thing.

Because of altriusm? Because its a nicety? Because it facilitates your guests that may not otherwise be able to attend?

Do what you want at your wedding but an extra 300 at an event thats upwards of 10k isnt the deal breaker normally

Why in sweet suffering fcuk would anyone want to bring their kid to a wedding?
    As far as I'm concerned it's a day out for adults not a day to be running around trying and failing to look after a kid.
    It's actually a pet peeve of mine seeing kids at a wedding of they are not immediate family of the bride and groom.
    Also don't get me started on kids in a bar.

Not everyone attends an event intending to get ****faced and if its not your child, I fail to see why you would be running around after them.

Kids at my wedding, it went on until 7am with the guests that had kids leaving earlier. No one objected and the kids werent under any feet.

Because of altriusm? Because its a nicety? Because it facilitates your guests that may not otherwise be able to attend?

Do what you want at your wedding but an extra 300 at an event thats upwards of 10k isnt the deal breaker normally

Extra costs can make a real difference to a budget. €300 might be a lot for some couples.

I'm sure the venue would have to be insured to cover these inflatables if set up on their grounds, in case of accidents.

Children of guests have to be fed too. I've heard of some venues charging childrens meals at €20 per head, half adult price or some even charging the full adult plate price for over 12s. All these extra costs add up quickly.

But ultimately, its not just about the costs involved. It's about the kind of atmosphere the couple want to create for their day. For some, they want a more adult, child free atmosphere, and thats fine. Some want a more family orientated day and thats fine too. It's whatever the bride and groom wants. After all, they are paying for it!

I agree with the first part of your post et but that person had no problem getting their own dig in with assuming brides can have 'special princess syndrome'.

Exactly- thank you. That poster has been decidedly injudicious on the topic in this thread imo and i dont think it unfair to cast a similar tone back

A wedding is for two people to do any way they like, the entitlement ends right there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

of course its the B&G choice.

But as a guest who has 3 kids - I'm dropping a few quid to be there.
    I want a day away from kids to enjoy myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Treppen wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is berating anyone for not bringing kids.
    Problem is when you've no childcare.
    One of our friends ,or more specifically his fianceé, asked for a "no kids" wedding (except their own of course!)
    We had no childcare available, I told the groom that if it was no kids then we couldn't go. There were a couple of us in same scenario, so eventually he said don't worry about it and bring them along.
    I dunno if the bride got the hump or not, in any event we took it in turns to mind the kid in the room , next morning the child was pottering about our feet and not really bothering anyone. So didn't amount to a hill of beans after all that kerfuffle.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    No need for a sly dig at that poster. Finding suitable child care isn’t always easy. Not everyone has kids who will settle with a sitter or has people they can call on. And sometimes if you do they are going to the wedding too.

But surely if childcare was such an issue then only one parent would need to decline the invite. If it was myself and my husband, whoevers friend/family member it was would go and the other stay home. Do both need to stay home with the kids?
    Plus the implication that it is a bridezilla always dictating the terms of a wedding is strange. When planning our wedding, I wanted our nieces and nephew around longer than my other half did- he wanted them gone after the ceremony. He was far more ardently anti children at weddings than I was. We decided together what suited us both.
    Not everyone attends an event intending to get ****faced and if its not your child, I fail to see why you would be running around after them.

Kids at my wedding, it went on until 7am with the guests that had kids leaving earlier. No one objected and the kids werent under any feet.

It probably depends on the crowd there, but if there are going to be people getting drunk from early on - i wouldn't feel its appropriate to have kids in that environment, even if the parents stayed sober and so I would not invite children. Again, depends on the crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's kind of gross that the assumption is a woman is a bridezilla for wanting or not wanting people attending her wedding.
    I wasn't a bridezilla and didn't see myself as a princess when sending out invites.
    Tbh the couples who try to get their kids an invite to an event seem far more entitled. Couples don't really care why you can't go, people can't attend for all sorts of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

lazygal wrote: »
    It's kind of gross that the assumption is a woman is a bridezilla for wanting or not wanting people attending her wedding.
    I wasn't a bridezilla and didn't see myself as a princess when sending out invites.
    Tbh the couples who try to get their kids an invite to an event seem far more entitled. Couples don't really care why you can't go, people can't attend for all sorts of reasons.

I fully agree with you. Parents not realising that people don't care as much about their precious sprogs as they do is far more common than a bride being a bridezilla.

At a friends' christening for their first born baby, another set of friends let their two little boys run wild in the church and weren't one bit embarrassed. Never once tried to get them to sit down or be well behaved. Fiancé said to me in the car on the way home there was no way that those kids were being invited to the wedding. Said friends were a bit shocked that the kids aren't being invited to the wedding but assumed it was due to Covid rather than their kids showing they were out of controls brats at a previous event!

I don't think any couple want oblivious parents not keeping their kids quiet to ruin their day. Nothing Bridezilla about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ok back again.
    I wasn't trying to get an invite for my kids like it's VIP section in coppers or something, and people do sometimes care why you can't go... Well friends do anyway!

here's what happened...

Initially groom told us before invites were sent that the bride wanted kids only.
    We said nothing but told him that it'd be difficult to sort childcare. Reason for that was oh was breast feeding and wedding was abroad.
    I told him that I'd try and make it solo but he said he'd hoped both went as we were both friends. Everyone going from his side were all same friends and used to having yearly bash together, so this was it.

So invites sent out with no mention of "no kids allowed", he followed up with phone call to say there were a few more couples with kids that would have to go solo so he said not to worry just bring them along.

We did, great wedding, parents took turns, everyone got suitably hammered without TUSLA or Adrian Kennedy being called.

Moral of the story, kids don't matter. There are bratty kids that are annoying and loud, but has anyone ever been to a wedding where there wasn't a loud and annoying adult? I haven't. You get over it and move on.

Ya sure, B&G can do whatever they want, it's like the "cash only" requests, we were prepared to accept their wishes before THEY changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I think a wedding abroad is different. Most people make the most of the flights by turning it into their family holiday, so it makes sense to bring the bring the family along. It's one thing going solo at a wedding in Ireland for one day/night, but most people wouldn't want to leave their partner with the baby/kids while they travel to another country, for what will realistically be at least a long weekend.

But for weddings in Ireland, I think guests just need to accept the wishes of the couple getting married. It's their day and they're paying for it, so they can do it whatever way they want. Guests with kids have the option to:
    - Organise childcare and attend as a couple
    - One parent stays home and the other attends the wedding solo
    - Decline the invitation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

We just had one, our own who was 8 at the time. That was a personal choice, I dont like kids and always planned on having a kids free wedding.

I presume you at least like your own kid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

We reached out to our family members who had kids and asked them if they would prefer for no kids or kids. it was a universal no kids response , they were able to relax and enjoy the day better without them and most spent the night in the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BnB wrote: »
    As a parent nothing would possibly interest me less than bringing my kids to a wedding. Especially when the kids were small, the only time myself & my wife ever got a night away to ourselves is when we were going off to someone's wedding. After a busy morning of rushing around packing bags for kids, dropping them to granny , getting your own sheeet together etc, I love that feeling of freedom I get when heading off in the car to a wedding with the Mrs for the day without a gang of kids in tow.
    +1
    It's so amazing. An hour or two in the car just talking like adults (or not talking at all - blissful silence!), followed by sitting around a hotel bar/restaurant/hotel room, having a drink, nothing to do but get yourself dressed.

A good friend once invited us and our daughter to their foreign wedding. And asked for her to be a flowergirl. Nice sentiment, on balance everyone had a good time, but it was hard bloody work. Constantly having to take shifts minding, being ready at a moment's notice to go back to the hotel room with a tablet for some down time.
    At one point we were sat in the car while the kid had a nap (she wouldn't nap anywhere else), us quietly drinking prosecco while the rest of the guests mingled outside. Sad.

If she wasn't a flowergirl, she definitely would have been left behind.
    Why in sweet suffering fcuk would anyone want to bring their kid to a wedding?
    For some people, it's not a wedding without them. Their idea of bliss is sitting at a table skulling pints while a load of kids in dresses and suits run chaos around the room. I have cousins like this, they refuse any invitation to anything which doesn't include kids. I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

seamus wrote: »
    I have cousins like this, they refuse any invitation to anything which doesn't include kids. I don't get it.

See I really don't get this...I love having days out with our kids and our friends kids & I love the big noisy get-togethers....but equally, I love the adult-only events....and to be honest, I don't know any other parent who doesn't feel the same way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

We were at a wedding with kids about 6 months before ours, and honestly, the dance floor looked like a scene from My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.
    We vowed, there and then that kids were not coming to our wedding and made 1 exception for a member of the bridal party who was flying from Canada and had a 1 year old. They could hardly be expected to leave the child in Canada, to be fair and the spouse made sure we hardly saw the kid.
    We gave everybody lots of notice and nobody objected in spite of lots of people having kids. Some left straight after the meal, some brought mammy to mind the kid in the room. Where people want to, they'll find a way.
    Above all OP - it is your day, do what you want. And being honest, if somebody had said "we can't go without our kids", we would have said "well sorry, we're not bringing any for anybody else so can't accommodate them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Or no kids at all which means a few drop outs but this thing of 'some kids are ok just not YOUR kids' bugs me.

Come off it! Of course a couple is going to perhaps want their nieces & nephews at their wedding and at the same time maybe not want their college friend's kid that they've met once.

You expect a couple with 150 adult guests to open up the invite for all to bring their kids because they want their 2 nephews there??

• Advertisement

I honestly feel like that is some kind of emotional blackmail.

Like, either you change your mind and invite our kids, or we're not bothered going to your wedding.

If someone tells you their wedding is no kids, then you should either accept or decline on that basis, not try to change their mind about inviting kids.

Oh that happened me, my cousin threatened not to come unless I invited her 3 monsters (thats what they are) she thought I would back down . She missed a great day out!!

Don't see the issue with kids being there. Hire a bouncy castle for 150 quid and job done. Push the boat out and have a clown / entertainer for similar price and everyone gets to enjoy the day.

Or no kids at all which means a few drop outs but this thing of 'some kids are ok just not YOUR kids' bugs me.

Because - some people can't stand kids ( I'm one) - thats the issue

I presume you at least like your own kid?

Just about

Oh that happened me, my cousin threatened not to come unless I invited her 3 monsters (thats what they are) she thought I would back down . She missed a great day out!!
    Ha, this reminds me of an uncle of mine who decided not to come to our wedding because of some perceived slight or other he was simmering over.
    I didn't even realise he wasn't there on the day and while I know everyone says their wedding was brilliant, I still get comments from my extended family about our great day out and how much everyone enjoyed it. He cornered me at another event to have it out with me, and I literally burst out laughing at him trying to get me all riled up.
    Weddings really do bring out the crazy in some people.

Ha, this reminds me of an uncle of mine who decided not to come to our wedding because of some perceived slight or other he was simmering over.
    I didn't even realise he wasn't there on the day and while I know everyone says their wedding was brilliant, I still get comments from my extended family about our great day out and how much everyone enjoyed it. He cornered me at another event to have it out with me, and I literally burst out laughing at him trying to get me all riled up.
    Weddings really do bring out the crazy in some people.

Ah come on you have to spill the beans! What was his issue?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

Treppen wrote: »
    ....we were prepared to accept their wishes before THEY changed.

The thoughtless sods eh...!!! Well, at least you let them know what's what so they changed it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Well whatever it was, it doesn't sound like it'd make the cut for the "Ruining a wedding" thread :D

Oh god it was incredibly minor.
    Basically one of his adult children was getting married out foreign and my parents and siblings and myself couldn't go for various reasons.
    So he decided this was bad form as family had to attend these sort of things so tit for tat he wouldn't come to ours. And there were a few other things he was storing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Same thing kind of happened to me - though it was years ago and I was hypothetically talking about if I was ever to get married that I would not have kids. My cousin said well if you didn't have kids there I wouldnt go. I just kind of smiled and shrugged and left it at that.

He has since been to many a wedding without his kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

We had no kids at our wedding except our own two and my bridesmaids 6week old!
    My kids came to the ceremony which was immediate family only and then to the venue for an hour or two for photos and to cut the cake together. I couldn't relax until they went home to our childminder. I say this because it was not a child friendly venue! It wasn't a hotel and was situated on a lake. I was petrified my youngest would wander off.The ceremony was all about us as a family, they did not need or want to be at the reception.
    Bridesmaids 6 week old stayed until about 10.
    Between us we have 8 nieces and nephew's. There was no way we wanted that many kids at our wedding so while I would've loved one nephew to be there we did a blanket no on any other kids.
    My husbands sister who is a right pain in general kicked up a fuss about her two not coming. They travelled from abroad and thought that gave her a pass. They are little sh!ts so there was no way they were coming and not the other nieces and nephews. She has often travelled home and left the kids with her ex husband so she could've done that or just not come.
    I don't particularly like weddings but when we go we really look forward to either having a great day and night together as a couple or if we have issues with childcare we look forward to a day and night off with friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

dobman88 wrote: »
    Only kid we will be having is a niece who will be 10 by then. I've never been to a wedding where kids haven't been a massive pain in the hoop. It will probably mean we get some rejections to invites but we are happy for people to make their own choices.

We were at my home at the weekend after booking our wedding venue and I mentioned we would be having no kids bar the 1 niece. Cue loads of questions and what about this that and the other person.

I just said if people dont want to go, we are more than happy for them to make that decision. We will only be inviting about 80 people as it is and we're not even getting married until 2023 so if people get their goat up about their kids not being invited and dont want to attend, we are more than happy to support their decision and accept their declining of the invitation.

We have chosen to never have kids ourselves so we are 100% certain we want a child free wedding.

Oh god it was incredibly minor.
    Basically one of his adult children was getting married out foreign and my parents and siblings and myself couldn't go for various reasons.
    So he decided this was bad form as family had to attend these sort of things so tit for tat he wouldn't come to ours. And there were a few other things he was storing up.

Oh god, yeah...people are just weird sometimes. He could have at least declined the invite if we was going to take such a principled stand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

When we got married 20+ years ago we decided not to have kids, no exceptions and made it clear to all.
    This inconvienced some people and cause some to be unable to attend.
    Now that I'm older, have had a load of kids myself, realise the upset it caused to some, and the inconvienence it caused to others, I regret my decision.
    However its not something that ever has or would keep me awake at night..... mid regret at most :-)
    It's your wedding, do what you think it best for you and feck everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

cant26 wrote: »
    My husbands sister who is a right pain in general kicked up a fuss about her two not coming..

Ever notice how the parents who make the biggest deal about this stuff usually have the worst behaving kids??

JayRoc wrote: »
    Ever notice how the parents who make the biggest deal about this stuff usually have the worst behaving kids??
    My view on parents like this is that they hope their kids will run around so they don't have to worry about them and can kick back and enjoy themselves because no one will take their kids off their hands to babysit.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

JayRoc wrote: »

On the flip side, I've known plenty of couples who wanted the kids there for the cuteness factor for their photos, like they were part of the decor or something and then got mad when they didn't perform on cue and weren't deathly silent and still when their usefulness was used up.

I know a bride who did that. She was warned by the parents that an 18mo page boy was unlikely to play ball, and their preference was to leave him at home but nope, she wanted the photos. Page boy baulked at the aisle walk with the equally photogenic flower girl anyway so that was strike one that pissed off the bride. The parents did their best to keep him quiet in the church, he wasn't allowed to run around or anything like that- he was very well behaved but a bit chatty but the parents couldn't remove him fully because they both had readings but they tried to anyway for parts of it. But the bride still complained that the kid 'ruined' her day. The response from her brother was 'tough shít, you were warned and you didn't listen'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We have decided that we will have our own kids & there cousin's at the ceremony,

So 7 kids in total all under 6 ,

Take our own two to get pictures

Then ZERO kids at the meal and afters including our own,

They will all head off back to the house to be minded and have a sleep over for the night ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I should say our issues is our own 3 year old , I fell bad saying that because its unfair to cal her an issue,

She is the best behaved kid you could wish for she really is but she is painfully shy around people she does not know & i fear the wedding day she would be stuck to mammy's leg not ideal on your wedding day

She will be happy enough to head off for a sleep over with her cousin's so it will just work out best .,

Of course we are still 10 months away for our wedding so she come out of her shell & then plans could change ,

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

I have been to a few weddings which were ruined, was lucky enough once to be seated at a table with 2 couples who had babies under a year at the table. One of the worst weddings I was ever at

I got married 8 years ago and my nephew was the only child of immediate family.on both sides. We had him as page boy and let him go to the reception. No other kids allowed

People grumbled at that but everyone had a good day without having to worry about kids.

Poor nephew was kept at the reception till closing time despite his dad not drinking or moving from the table, and not talking to anyone.

I have since been to a cousin's wedding where the kids (ages between 10 and 15) actually made the day. They were brilliant craic.

Personally, I don't think weddings are the right place for kids,too many adults get themselves too drunk too early, plus with the costs of actually going to a wedding, I want to enjoy it without having to watch my own kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement