Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superintending 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tiredteach

You were lucky. I had afternoon collections. The day was dragged out and gone. I won’t be doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Called the SEC this morning about the record of postage booklet.

There is conflicting info in the general instructions as on one page it says to return it in the financial section envelope and on the following page it says to return it in the centre roll envelope.

They said the record of post should really go to the financial section, but since the financial envelope is quite small, it's OK to put it in the centre roll envelope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Just rang the 1800 number and the ‘Superintendent Validation Form, 2021’ should be put in the blue form of account envelope and sent to the Financial Section. Nothing about it on the otherwise usefully succinct infograph on p. 47 of the ‘General Instructions to Superintendents, 2021’ booklet that I’m following to close down this centre.

Also, I found confirmation that the envelope with ‘21’ on it is, in fact, the Centre Roll envelope. It’s on the sheet headed ‘Contents of the Large Superintendent’s Envelope’ and at the bottom of the page it says ‘There will also be a pouch in the schol where you are superintending containing the following items:…5. ENV 21 Return of Centre Roll Envelope. 6. ENV32 (small white envelope) Claim Form Return Envelope for Financial Section.’

It could have been helpful if they just named the envelope ‘Centre Roll’, rather the 21 and left it unnamed. I’m still not sure what the envelope numbered 14, and the four envelopes labelled BPE4 are for but I don’t think I’ve anything to put in them.

Tiredteach wrote: »
    You were lucky. I had afternoon collections. The day was dragged out and gone. I won’t be doing it again.

We also had afternoon collections but the people in Masterlink said if we wanted to come back early for the next collection we could, so we agreed with the exam aide in the school, who was here at 10am for us, rather than in the afternoon. So that freed up the day.

Like others, I’m not sure why they divided it into three sets of collections rather than the usual one collection.

Has anybody orange-coloured tamper-proof seals? Page 18 of ‘General Instructions’ says we have them, but I only have yellow plastic ones (lots of them). Apparently, we have to record the number of the ‘orange’ seals we used for the stationery box each day in Section E of the Record of Posting, with the date and time they were opened. I have all of the broken yellow seals in the stationery box I’m returning, but never recorded the dates and times for each one. Oh well, perhaps next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Has anybody orange-coloured tamper-proof seals? Page 18 of ‘General Instructions’ says we have them, but I only have yellow plastic ones (lots of them). Apparently, we have to record the number of the ‘orange’ seals we used for the stationery box each day in Section E of the Record of Posting, with the date and time they were opened. I have all of the broken yellow seals in the stationery box I’m returning, but never recorded the dates and times for each one. Oh well, perhaps next year.

I recorded the dates and times of the yellow ones. I'd say they just made a mistake in the booklet with the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

They used to be orange.

Can you fill the in now? You would have used two ten minutes after every exam and the date is on the timetable. Might save you some hassle - don’t know if they check.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I pity the person checking the turned inside out plastic bags and the teturned used ties for the stationery boxes. Civil servicedom on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

spurious wrote: »
    I pity the person checking the turned inside out plastic bags and the teturned used ties for the stationery boxes. Civil servicedom on drugs.

That would definitely keep someone busy until at least Christmas - crosschecking serial number with the record of postage booklet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm assuming none of it is actually checked, unless an issue emerges

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bananaleaf wrote:
    I'm assuming none of it is actually checked, unless an issue emerges

I absolutely hope it is not checked.
    I made a flower-like sculpture out of my tags and rubber bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

There are lots of stuff that’s not checked IMO. So many people make mistakes as well. Easy to see why.

Athlone have replied to me. The Russian scripts go back in the maroon bag.

They must have read the confusion here as they text us all to this effect at 15:00 today:

"Dear Superintendent. For the Russian examinations please ensure you refer to the List of Corrections and use the special Maroon envelopes to return the scripts.' SEC"

They must have read the confusion here as they text us all to this effect at 15:00 today:

"Dear Superintendent. For the Russian examinations please ensure you refer to the List of Corrections and use the special Maroon envelopes to return the scripts.' SEC"

Never as many texts as there have been this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

https://www.tui.ie/news/tuiasti-secure-pay-increase-for-leaving-certificate-work%C2%A0.14174.html

Just saw this. Does anyone know what the increase is for superintending?

Millem wrote: »
    https://www.tui.ie/news/tuiasti-secure-pay-increase-for-leaving-certificate-work%C2%A0.14174.html

Just saw this. Does anyone know what the increase is for superintending?

Wow. I'm surprised. Superintendents are getting an increase in pay and the teachers involved in AG aren't? I really don't think that's fair. The AG process was so time consuming. I didn't find superintending any more work this year than in previous years. In fact, it was handier. The extra work we did have to do (Sunday pickups) we were paid for. Mad.

How long will it take for payment this time? Have they committed to any time limit? In 2018 it was late October before they paid me fully for my examining work (I sent my form in the day I finished in July). If I recall from the thread here at the time, most people on this forum that year had the dubious privilege of being paid in mid-late September for the same work completed… two months before.

No excuses whatsoever for that sort of treatment by the SEC.

How long will it take for payment this time? Have they committed to any time limit? In 2018 it was late October before they paid me fully for my examining work (I sent my form in the day I finished in July). If I recall from the thread here at the time, most people on this forum that year had the dubious privilege of being paid in mid-late September for the same work completed… two months before.

No excuses whatsoever for that sort of treatment by the SEC.

Sure look how long it takes that lot to do anything. I still can't understand how it took them until September last year to release LC grades, after closing the portal to teachers and principals in June. I mean .... there were NO EXAMS that year, so what exactly took them so long?

I think superintending is paid relatively quickly. No idea for correcting. I'll be doing July provision and won't get that until November for whatever reason.

I'm legit convinced that there is only the one employee in that office.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Sure look how long it takes that lot to do anything. I still can't understand how it took them until September last year to release LC grades, after closing the portal to teachers and principals in June. I mean .... there were NO EXAMS that year, so what exactly took them so long?

I think superintending is paid relatively quickly. No idea for correcting. I'll be doing July provision and won't get that until November for whatever reason.

I'm legit convinced that there is only the one employee in that office.

Superintending is 30 days after you send in your financial form. Summer Provision pay date this year is 28th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Does anyone know if the short and long day away from home allowances are tax free like the mileage?

• Advertisement

Sir123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the short and long day away from home allowances are tax free like the mileage?

I don't know, but I only ever remember being told that the mileage was paid tax free

Sir123 wrote: »

Yes they are tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Finishing up today and I was putting the empty exam paper box in my car this morning before the exam. I got literally verbally abused by the school caretaker. “Parking is for staff only”, I said does superintendent not count as staff?. He said no, and you need permission to park here. I had used public transport every day but on the drop off days and today obviously had to drive. So I told him I couldn’t move now as the exam was about to start and I walked off. Then, standing at the window, I could hear him speaking to someone else from the school and he referred to me as “that superintendent ******”. I feel very upset about this exchange as I was trying to do the work to the best of my ability to be subjected to homophobia, and any other school I’ve been in, parking was never an issue. Who do I complain to about this man, the school or the SEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

sitstill wrote: »
    Finishing up today and I was putting the empty exam paper box in my car this morning before the exam. I got literally verbally abused by the school caretaker. “Parking is for staff only”, I said does superintendent not count as staff?. He said no, and you need permission to park here. I had used public transport every day but on the drop off days and today obviously had to drive. So I told him I couldn’t move now as the exam was about to start and I walked off. Then, standing at the window, I could hear him speaking to someone else from the school and he referred to me as “that superintendent ******”. I feel very upset about this exchange as I was trying to do the work to the best of my ability to be subjected to homophobia, and any other school I’ve been in, parking was never an issue. Who do I complain to about this man, the school or the SEC?

Thats a disgrace. Is the school tight on parking or what? Weird. Complain to school management and the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

By all means address this to the exam aide and the principal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Thats a disgrace. Is the school tight on parking or what? Weird. Complain to school management and the SEC.

Yeah it’s in the city centre with very little parking, but we were allowed park here on the drop off days so I just assumed logically I could park today, other supers did too. I’m going to speak to the principal later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

That's awful. I'd have gone to the principal of the school and then to the SEC. Not sure if there is room in your final report for this but possibly state issues with parking.

Complain to the school and put it in your final report. Add a page if necessary. That is exactly what the final report is for - for the SEC to know how the schools are allowing the exams run. Abusing SEC staff is not on the list.
    Follow it up.
    How dare they treat anyone like that.

** If anyone in the SEC is reading this, they need to make sure it is followed up.

**edit. I wouldn't be as polite as 'issues with parking' I would spell it out as the homophobia it is. They are lucky they do not have a law suit on their hands.

The mind boggles at some people. Principal, Final Report and a call today to the SEC so that it is brought directly to their attention among all the other paper reports. Make it clear in all cases that you informed him clearly you were on SEC business because he might claim he didn't know.

We are contract staff, but I definitely saw a section on bullying and harrassment in the General Instructions. I never read it but it's there. Nice if the school had cctv of the encounter, too.

• Advertisement

That's awful. I'd have gone to the principal of the school and then to the SEC. Not sure if there is room in your final report for this but possibly state issues with parking.

I'm getting mildly concerned about the length of my Final Report now as apart from a drawing of the room layout all I had was something like "grand" under each question.

Advertisement