Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Jellyfish do people need to be cautious of in Salthill?

Options
  • 24-06-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

I guess this is a silly or very relevant thread depending on who reads it!
    Been swimming in Blackrock the last few days, noticed 2 different types of Jellyfish. Neither of them were the Manowar jellyfish I've read about in the paper.

Just wondering if there is any information on the types of jellyfish to expect in Salthill and when to avoid the water if at all?

Think it would be good to have this information on the wall somewhere in the blackrock changing area? Lots of us hanging around the ladder and not going into the water yesterday because we could see at least 10 purple jelly fish with 4 bright yellow/pink rings on them.

Be great to know what is safe and what isn't. Won't someone think of the children etc!

Any thoughts or experience anyone wants to share?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

Purple jellyfish (clear with distinctive pink/purple rings) are harmless for the most part, you'd be quite unlucky to receive any kind of "sting" from them, the worst I've got was very mild skin irritation after handling hundreds for multiple hours. This week these are by far he most common jellyfish in Galway bay.

Brown jellyfish are the next most common and very much can sting from their tentacles, i would equate it as similar to a nettle sting and usually lasts around 20 mins, treat with clean fresh water if stung. These can be quite common in Galway Bay.

The only other 2 I've seen at a reasonably common rate in Galway Bay are Blue and Lions Mane Jellyfish, I haven't been stung by either nor have I seen people be stung but they are meant to be quite nasty.

Here's the full info, dont forget if you happen to be wearing a wetsuite you cant be stung though it.

http://www.beaches.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/jellyfish-id-card.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NebraTZ

there is a nice overview of the species here on watersafety.ie just search for jellyfish-id-card.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am careful with my dog who loves swimming. Stings to the mouth wouldn't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Moon won't sting (or hardly feel it)
    Compass will but mild.

There are also Barrel and (baby) Lion's Mane in the water these days. Not a nice sting. Not killer but you can have a bad reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

LariToper wrote: »
    Purple jellyfish (clear with distinctive pink/purple rings) are harmless for the most part, you'd be quite unlucky to receive any kind of "sting" from them, the worst I've got was very mild skin irritation after handling hundreds for multiple hours. This week these are by far he most common jellyfish in Galway bay.

Brown jellyfish are the next most common and very much can sting from their tentacles, i would equate it as similar to a nettle sting and usually lasts around 20 mins, treat with clean fresh water if stung. These can be quite common in Galway Bay.

The only other 2 I've seen at a reasonably common rate in Galway Bay are Blue and Lions Mane Jellyfish, I haven't been stung by either nor have I seen people be stung but they are meant to be quite nasty.

Here's the full info, dont forget if you happen to be wearing a wetsuite you cant be stung though it.

Great info thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There was a massive Lions Mane jellyfish at Blackrock this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

LariToper wrote: »

Thanks for the fantastic info. Really helped, much more comfortable out there now knowing what will ruin my day! Lions Mane out there today but all clear this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

Advertisement