Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Athenry data centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

In related news there is now plans to build a undersea cable from Galway city (Ballyloughane as landing site) to Bilbao (WINS). This will provide a second link to contient bypassing Britain and would allow direct interconnection with the MAREA cable which runs from Bilbao to Virginia Beach. The MAREA cable is owned by Facebook and Microsoft.

I imagine both of them will be involved in funding the Galway to Bilbao cable as it will allow them to shift large amount of traffic onto cables that they own.

Facebook is already a part owner (with Google) in the Havfrue/AEC-2 cable which will have a landing station in Clew Bay via a branching unit. This cable is basically a branch of a cable from New Jersey to Norway/Denmark. Once it goes live it will allow for bypassing of Britain for traffic into Northern Europe from Ireland.

interxion-cable-map-feb-19_0.jpg

There is also proposed IRIS cable from Iceland to Mayo plus the proposed 'Celtic-Norse' cable from Mayo to Norway.

If all these proposals are built then West of Ireland (Mayo mostly but one cable in Galway) will have following capacity in the next 5 years:

AEC-1: 162Tb/s (operational)
    AEC-2: 108Tb/s (under construction)
    WINS: 90Tb/s (in planning)
    Celtic-Norse: 160Tb/s (proposed)
    IRIS: unknown -- may instead land in Scotland

Obviously WINS cable will ensure a Southern alternative transatlantic route by linking up with MAREA, as well as providing a Southern link to mainland Europe.

IFC-1 (Ireland-France cable) would be major game changer as it would provide 1.92Pb/s (1,920 Tb/s) of connectivity from Ireland directly to Paris (major Internet peering point) and thus onward connectivity to Amsterdam and Frankfurt (the biggest Internet peering points in EU along with Paris - post Brexit ) bypassing Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Seems Apple resurecting their Athenry plans.

Sorry for resurecting a zoombie thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,832 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So they got no takers when they offered the land for sale, I presume.

Seems Apple resurecting their Athenry plans.

Sorry for resurecting a zoombie thread.

Looks more like they are simply extending the permission by a further 5 years, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

cnocbui wrote: »
    So they got no takers when they offered the land for sale, I presume.

It was IDA land. I don't think they bought it.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    It was IDA land. I don't think they bought it.

The y must have, to be able to advertise it for sale:
    The tech giant Apple is selling a 500-acre plot near Athenry in Co Galway where it planned to build an €850m data centre, drawing a line under a five-year planning saga.

The site is being advertised for sale by property agents in the US and Ireland as Data Hub West, “a ready-to-go data centre development site”. Neither the American agent, Binswanger Global, nor Irish agent Maguire Chartered Surveyors in Dublin responded to requests for comment on the sale.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/apple-seeking-a-buyer-for-athenry-data-centre-site-d7vs0md8m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Hopefully they come back with a proper purposal this time that suits everyone.

The only circumstances under which they should be allowed to build such a data centre is if they actually fund and build the renewable energy systems, including stored hydrogen + fuel cell - that can supply sufficient to power so that it does not add to the possibility or amount of fines the EU will levy on Ireland for not reaching CO2 targets.

Vague promises to work with renewable anergy suppliers or to purchase renewable energy aren't good enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The only circumstances under which they should be allowed to build such a data centre is if they actually fund and build the renewable energy systems, including stored hydrogen + fuel cell - that can supply sufficient to power so that it does not add to the possibility or amount of fines the EU will levy on Ireland for not reaching CO2 targets.

Vague promises to work with renewable anergy suppliers or to purchase renewable energy aren't good enough.

Why should we insist Apple do this but not every other company looking to set up or expand their business here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Apple should just tell the lot of them to go fook themselves and go to a country where their investment is appreciated.

• Advertisement

Why should we insist Apple do this but not every other company looking to set up or expand their business here?

We probably should, when they look like only employing a handful of people while increasing the states energy usage by several percent - 8% in the case of Apple and the data centre reaching it's full projected size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hopefully they come back with a proper purposal this time that suits everyone.

Is there ever a proposal that suits every one ?
    And it's unlikely they'll make any change at all - it has planning - if they change it now it's back to square 1 ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭wassie

Looks more like they are simply extending the permission by a further 5 years, nothing more

Exactly this. Current planning expires 10/08/2021.

Having the development approval in place does potentially make the land more valuable to sell. Reading anything else into this (at the moment) is mere speculation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Every Data Centre looking to setup here should absolutely have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭threeball

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Every Data Centre looking to setup here should absolutely have to do this.

They should also be forced to use their waste heat to supply district heating networks. At least then the massive amounts of electricity used is not completely wasted. Theres enough energy being dumped from the large DCs to heat a couple of thousand homes.

We have zero chance of meeting our 2030 emissions targets with data centers gobbling up power the way they are. No district heating, no data centre. It should be that simple. Its in their interests too as it lowers their cooling costs massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

We probably should, when they look like only employing a handful of people while increasing the states energy usage by several percent - 8% in the case of Apple and the data centre reaching it's full projected size.

This data centre alone if it is went ahead would increase the state energy by 8%?

Thats pretty mental

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

6 wrote: »
    This data centre alone if it is went ahead would increase the state energy by 8%?

Thats pretty mental

That was claimed by sometime objecting to it. Apple claimed it would be about 2.5% when are 8 halls are built. They weren't planning to build them all in one go. They would have been built over 15 years I think. You have to remember that these things are 24/7 so a lot of that energy usage would have happened when demand is normally very low and we have tons of capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭reniwren

American TV is actively advertising for people to sign up to apps where of your notified you can only use a couple of lights in your house. To me that sounds like rolling blackouts.
    With many people switching over to electric cars (which will be manually night charged) add a few data centers and watch the poor infrastructure turn into blown resisters.
    They should need to have their own renewable power in place before a sod is turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

reniwren wrote: »
    They should need to have their own renewable power in place before a sod is turned.

The Apple facilities in Cork are fully self sufficient - no energy from the electric grid required. The roofs are full of solar cells.

This may actually be an issue, because companies like Electric Ireland can't make a profit by selling electricity to them...

Don't know about Athenry, but Apple has created thousands of jobs in Cork, and has expanded and kept hiring continuously since they opened.
    I've been told Miles Davis played at the opening, back in the day....

The Apple facilities in Cork are fully self sufficient - no energy from the electric grid required. The roofs are full of solar cells.

This may actually be an issue, because companies like Electric Ireland can't make a profit by selling electricity to them...

Don't know about Athenry, but Apple has created thousands of jobs in Cork, and has expanded and kept hiring continuously since they opened.

Would you have a link for this claim of Apple being off-grid, because in winter, you could easily see 20 day a month of negligable electricity generation from solar? It's not a viable power source at these latitudes for at least 3 months of the year.

• Advertisement

Would you have a link for this claim of Apple being off-grid, because in winter, you could easily see 20 day a month of negligable electricity generation from solar? It's not a viable power source at these latitudes for at least 3 months of the year.

I seriously doubt they are off grid as that is incredibly difficult for any one to achieve. Probably just buying only green electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I seriously doubt they are off grid as that is incredibly difficult for any one to achieve. Probably just buying only green electricity.

I think they purchased a wind farm somewhere that produces the same amount of energy that the plant uses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭threeball

No they're not. Thats the same BS that Google claim when they say they've been carbon neutral since 2007. Its a crock of sh#t. All they do is commit to buying power off a windfarm already been built which is normally hundreds of km away. They then claim all the power produced as theirs even though they're connected to the same grid as the rest of us. They make false claims about neutrality and us plebs pay fines to the EU for not making our targets.

The planning application has made the front page story of the spb. Not a lot new in it but it does suggest that Apple are interested in the project again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭wassie

No it doesn't. All it suggests is that as a land owner, they are seeking to extend their development approval that expires in August for a further five years.

I'm not saying your wrong, rather unless you have specific information or their is an announcement, then all this talk is merely speculation.

Extending it simply allows them to keep their options open i.e. develop the project within 5 years or sell the land with development approval in place. This is what any prudent land owner would do.

wassie wrote: »
    No it doesn't. All it suggests is that as a land owner, they are seeking to extend their development approval that expires in August for a further five years.

I'm not saying your wrong, rather unless you have specific information or their is an announcement, then all this talk is merely speculation.

Extending it simply allows them to keep their options open i.e. develop the project within 5 years or sell the land with development approval in place. This is what any prudent land owner would do.
    If that's addressed at me I was just summarizing the article. If you've a problem with it take it up with the sbp

The vibe I've gotten here in the wider industry is that the main reason Apple is looking to extend the planning permission is to give them more time to find a buyer for the site. Lot easier to offload it to a third party if had Planning permission ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

dubhthach wrote: »
    The vibe I've gotten here in the wider industry is that the main reason Apple is looking to extend the planning permission is to give them more time to find a buyer for the site. Lot easier to offload it to a third party if had Planning permission ready to go.

That is the way I have read it too. Based on Apple's track record for these types of projects in the last 10 years, we may have dodged a bullet.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That is the way I have read it too. Based on Apple's track record for these types of projects in the last 10 years, we may have dodged a bullet.

Well given the high density of Fibre in the vicinity and closeness to proposed offshore wind farms I imagine someone will pick up the site and build it as expected within the next 10 years.

Amazon for example are building two hyperscaler data centers in Drogheda to get around the developing 'Data Center power congestion' around the 'T-50' in Dublin

esb-metro-express.jpg

• Advertisement

The IRIS cable from Iceland is planned to land in Galway in 2022:

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/subsea-telecoms-cable-will-be-a-digital-bridge-connecting-galway-and-iceland/

Farice-networks-e1618413270485.jpg

This will probably result in further work been done in ensuring fully redundant cross-country high-bandwidth links coming into the county.

Advertisement