Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm bi and I dont support the LGBTQ movement because I dont like the Q word

Options
  • 25-06-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have had a few experiences (around 4) with the Q word, from people I cherish to drunks/homophobes on streets etc. In the majority of these times both the Q word and F word were used.

I'm bi. I support LGBT people. I support non binary etc. I support how the Q people define themselves. But I dont support the term used to define them. Do whatever you want as long as it doesnt, meaningfully, effect me or others, is my motto.

However the Q word, just like the F word, does affect me. Unlike many, I think the Q word is worse than the F word. Everytime I hear either the word or LGBTQ, it does bring me back to some of those moments. That may be selfish but that's my opinion. It offends me when RTE publish a story about a bi person and name it "Queer stories". I'm, currently, in a relationship with a woman and it insults me when Stonewall etc call my relationship a Q - word relationship.

To me, it's a slur. I never agreed to "reclaim" it. I know it's meant to be an umbrella term but I dont see why we couldnt use a different umbrella term... I'm not looking to be lectured. I understand the concept... it just doesnt sit right with me.

EDIT: I've realised what question I'm looking to be answered?

The Q word is a barrier for me to support LGBT movements/Stonewall/Pride etc. Right now, I dont support them. If anything, i dislike them (not the people). That dislike makes me feel, a little, like a traitor! How do you view my stance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You're entitled to feel how you want about the word.
    Context is key for me, it's not a word I would use personally though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭VENEATS

gmisk wrote: »
    You're entitled to feel how you want about the word.
    Context is key for me, it's not a word I would use personally though.

Absolutely, but the other side is I do want to support LGBTQ people, but not supporting the movement or Stonewall or Pride who do use that word, makes me feel a hypocrite and a traitor. (Maybe not the right word).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

VENEATS wrote: »
    Absolutely, but the other side is I do want to support LGBT people, but not supporting the movement or Stonewall or Pride who do use that word, makes me feel a hypocrite and a traitor. (Maybe not the right word).
    Do you mind that other people identify as the Q word?
    As I said I wouldn't use that word myself, I am guessing sub consciously at least it will always generally seem like a slur to me (unless in very certain circumstances).
    I think you can support stonewall or pride without being a huge fan of the Q word personally.

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you mind that other people identify as the Q word?
    As I said I wouldn't use that word myself, I am guessing sub consciously at least it will always generally seem like a slur to me (unless in very certain circumstances).
    I think you can support stonewall or pride without being a huge fan of the Q word personally.

Tbh, I dont like the word being used full stop. I think the term genderqueer is ok, perhaps because it's preceded by gender.

But I do see the q word as a slur (even if I know the intent/meaning) and when stonewall uses the word to describe me, i see that as them using that slur. I dont see how I could respect/support them when they dont respect me or my opinion. (Selfish, I know). If I thought LGBT people had an issue with the word bisexual (not the people but the term) I would want it changed.

And just for anyone who does read this. My issue is with the word. I dont dislike the people. I think that is a clear distinction. Normally when I say I dont support pride, people think I'm -phobic in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A lot of younger people haven’t got the context of it being a slur because they haven’t grown up with it being used that way. And if they feel it represents them so be it. LGBT is very narrow, it doesn’t describe me so I use Q if I ever feel the need to. I’m old enough to remember being called that word as a slur but it’s lost it’s power to hurt now it’s been reclaimed but that’s just me. I can understand why some people don’t like it.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    A lot of younger people haven’t got the context of it being a slur because they haven’t grown up with it being used that way. And if they feel it represents them so be it. LGBT is very narrow, it doesn’t describe me so I use Q if I ever feel the need to. I’m old enough to remember being called that word as a slur but it’s lost it’s power to hurt now it’s been reclaimed but that’s just me. I can understand why some people don’t like it.

Thanks for commenting.. my point is if it is too narrow then use a word that broadens it that wasnt a slur. I'm bisexual but I think if some LGBT people had a genuine issue with the term bisexual (because it was used as a slur) I'd want it changed...

I dont like it full stop, but at the very least call yourself the q-word but dont include all of us. (By you, I'm not meaning you personally. You seem very respectful.) My relationship, because I'm bi, is not q. But it is to certain prides and stonewall... I find offence in that. And, to me, (and I know its irrational) people using the q word, to describe me, whether its stonewall or the few dudes jeering outside a pub are all the same.

And I'm not trying to discourage people from living a life that best reflects them. If you dont think the main acronym describes you, I'm all for you finding one that does.

Lastly, the f word, to me, is not as bad as the Q. I still wouldnt call someone that. The p word means nothing at all to me and, yet, I still wouldnt use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thanks for commenting.. my point is if it is too narrow then use a word that broadens it that wasnt a slur. I'm bisexual but I think if some LGBT people had a genuine issue with the term bisexual (because it was used as a slur) I'd want it changed...

I dont like it full stop, but at the very least call yourself the q-word but dont include all of us. (By you, I'm not meaning you personally. You seem very respectful.) My relationship, because I'm bi, is not q. But it is to certain prides and stonewall... I find offence in that. I didnt think their goal was to offend.

If you’re bisexual you already have representation in the B. I don’t really put a label on myself but I’m not straight or LGBT so I need something that covers me as do all the many other groups out there. If you don’t like Q what do you do? Replace it with something new or just alienate people by leaving it off? I do get what you are saying but it has to represent everyone too.

eviltwin wrote: »
    If you’re bisexual you already have representation in the B. I don’t really put a label on myself but I’m not straight or LGBT so I need something that covers me as do all the many other groups out there. If you don’t like Q what do you do? Replace it with something new or just alienate people by leaving it off? I do get what you are saying but it has to represent everyone too.

As per Stonewall UK and many other sources, a bi person in a relationship with a person that is not bi (so either gay, lesbian or straight), which I am, is in a Q relationship. A bi person involved with a bi person is in a bi relationship.

Replace the term, is what I'd expect. I certainly would want to replace the term bisexual, if it offended some LGBT (because they got that as a slur). To me, bisexual is only the term to describe my identity. I could find a new term to express my attraction of both women and men. I accept all people who dont fit the LGBT mould. And I think the addition to the acronym is great to see

In simplest form, if I didnt fit the LGBT acronym nor the Q, I would define my identity or keep it broad but I would never consider calling it the F word or P-word. It's about respect.

When RTE calls it "Queer stories" and they have a bi man recounting his journey, he may be ok with that term but RTE have pushed the idea that calling bi people the Q word is ok?

And I've tried to make clear in every post. When anyone stands up and tells the world who they are, that's a great moment. I fully accept and respect others. I dont think the term is respectful, though.

I used to be very overweight. I had no issue with the word fat. I wouldnt call others fat, though, because I understood the baggage of that term.

And I'm sounding like a right dickhead, but I'm not trying to be, but I have started to really dislike the movements (not the people) because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Where I grew up... in one of the cradles of the gay rights movement in the united States, the Q stands for "questioning" as in anyone who's bothering to think about their sexuality instead of assuming what it is.

I have no idea who started the whole idea of that meaning "qu***" instead. It's not nearly as poignant.

Still, there's nothing wrong with the 5-letter Q word as long as it's us using it to describe ourselves. For some people, that weird feels more "correct" in describing themselves and how they feel. Condemning the whole movement because some people prefer that word, is disingenuous to all those people, and excludes them from our community. Exclusion is not cool. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Are we seriously calling it the Q-word?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There was a guy on the radio yesterday on Kathryn Thomas show using the q word at every opportunity he got.

I feel it is a term of abuse and should not be used.

I would consider myself to be an ally of the “non straight community” and yet I shudder internally when I hear it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I always thought it was kinda like the N word, as in it's not offensive when used amongst members of the group to refer to themselves or others in the group but not cool for outsiders to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I used to hate it because I was bullied with it many times. Now I really dont mind it at all. A lot of people call themselves queer and thats absolutely fine by me.
    I feel it is a term of abuse and should not be used.

I would consider myself to be an ally of the “non straight community” and yet I shudder internally when I hear it personally.

I disagree about it being a term of abuse. It really depends on the context. It can be used in an abusive context and a non abusive context.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Heebie wrote: »
    Where I grew up... in one of the cradles of the gay rights movement in the united States, the Q stands for "questioning" as in anyone who's bothering to think about their sexuality instead of assuming what it is.

I have no idea who started the whole idea of that meaning "qu***" instead. It's not nearly as poignant.

Still, there's nothing wrong with the 5-letter Q word as long as it's us using it to describe ourselves. For some people, that weird feels more "correct" in describing themselves and how they feel. Condemning the whole movement because some people prefer that word, is disingenuous to all those people, and excludes them from our community. Exclusion is not cool. :/

I'm not excluding the people. I dont like the term and I think the term should be replaced..

My big issue is these movements (pride, Stonewall etc) would consider my relationship a q one. And when rte have "queer stories" and it's a story about a bi man. I think that gives licence to others to call bi people, like myself, the word too.

Annasopra wrote: »
    I used to hate it because I was bullied with it many times. Now I really dont mind it at all. A lot of people call themselves queer and thats absolutely fine by me.

I disagree about it being a term of abuse. It really depends on the context. It can be used in an abusive context and a non abusive context.

Thanks for your opinion. I know the intent may not be there, but it's a word that, for me, brings back memories.

Are we seriously calling it the Q-word?

Yes. That's what I call it, anyway. When you have heard that every day after I came out. E.g. dont be a q---. When I got engaged to a woman last year, my dad said thank god your not a q--- anymore. When I left GAA after coming out because of two team members that used that slur, at me. To the guys outside a pub who jeered the q word at me and my first bf. Throwing the end of pints at us, to intimidating us so much that we power walked as quickly as we could...

So yes, I'll call it the q word. Seriously.

Thanks for your opinion. I know the intent may not be there, but it's a word that, for me, brings back memories.

I have a lot of memories too. I've more or less let go now though. Thats the thing: the intent in its use by many who describe themselves as queer is never to abuse or insult others.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I have a lot of memories too. I've more or less let go now though. Thats the thing: the intent in its use by many who describe themselves as queer is never to abuse or insult others.

And that's great that you have let it go. It's not as easy for others, I suppose, like myself.

If no malicious intent was there can people call me the f-word?

And that's great that you have let it go. It's not as easy for others, I suppose, like myself.

If no malicious intent was there can people call me the f-word?

To be fair people can say whatever they want. For me its about the context of what people say. The meaning of words can have different meanings and contexts.

Terry Pratchet

To be fair people can say whatever they want. For me its about the context of what people say. The meaning of words can have different meanings and contexts.

I never said they couldn't but out of respect I wouldnt use the word f. It's about respect. Are movements being respectful by calling my relationship a word, I think, is a slur. Nope, imo. And i dont know how to support a movement that is, in my view, disrespectful.

• Advertisement

I never said they couldn't but out of respect I wouldnt use the word f. It's about respect. Are movements being respectful by calling my relationship a word, I think, is a slur. Nope, imo. And i dont know how to support a movement that is, in my view, disrespectful.

I dont think it is disrepectful because it is being used in a different context and stituation than that of being a slur.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes. That's what I call it, anyway. When you have heard that every day after I came out. E.g. dont be a q---. When I got engaged to a woman last year, my dad said thank god your not a q--- anymore. When I left GAA after coming out because of two team members that used that slur, at me. To the guys outside a pub who jeered the q word at me and my first bf. Throwing the end of pints at us, to intimidating us so much that we power walked as quickly as we could...

So yes, I'll call it the q word. Seriously.

It's sh1tty that ignorant @rseholes made your life hard because of your sexual identity. I despise that sort of behaviour.

I agree with you the the Q word is a pretty nasty one and while some have "reclaimed" it, it's not a nice word to use. Does the "+" not cover everything beyond LGBT anyway?

Stay Free

I dont think it is disrepectful because it is being used in a different context and stituation than that of being a slur.

That's your opinion, and I fully respect it. But from my point of view, it is hugely disrespectful and I will dislike anyone that uses that word esp in regards to my sexuality

It's sh1tty that ignorant @rseholes made your life hard because of your sexual identity. I despise that sort of behaviour.

I agree with you the the Q word is a pretty nasty one and while some have "reclaimed" it, it's not a nice word to use. Does the "+" not cover everything beyond LGBT anyway?

From my own experience LGBT+ seems to be gone. It's usually either LGBTQ+ or LGBTI+.

And I want to reiterate that I dont dislike the people who use the term to describe them. Be whoever you are... but dont call me it. I'm a bi man. When I'm with a woman I'm a bi man in a straight relationship. When I'm with a gay man, I'm in a gay relationship. You would think that would be simple to understand... apparently not. There is huge push to calling it Q relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

What, I wonder, is the solution to this? I can't see the community/movement in general switching to a different word at this point (not that they shouldn't, just I don't see enough people or the right people being convinced of it)

I wouldn't be too fond of queer myself. Definitely not a word I use to describe myself but most of my friends would use it freely. I find myself self-correcting myself into saying it instead of lgbt in their presence but I just don't seem to resonate with the word the same way they all do.

I'm a fairly straight male myself, so don't dabble much in the world of gay/pride/lgbt/etc. but do some people not use Q as "questioned" or "questioning" or something like that? (as in someone unsure about what they're into?)

Maybe I'm making that up, and it's all in my imagination, but i definitely feel like i've heard it somewhere before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Maybe I'm making that up, and it's all in my imagination, but i definitely feel like i've heard it somewhere before.

There was a time when you heard that interchangeably but it pretty much ubiquitously stands for queer these days.

That's your opinion, and I fully respect it. But from my point of view, it is hugely disrespectful and I will dislike anyone that uses that word esp in regards to my sexuality

But the point is its not used in a disrespectful way. Thats not merely just my opinion.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Whatever happened to sticks and stones….

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whatever happened to sticks and stones….

Remains as useless and inaccurate as it ever was

Advertisement