Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chamois Cream

Options
  • 27-06-2021 6:12pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm almost out of Assos arse cream yet again and am curious about potential alternatives.
    What do you people use? Nothing? Sudocrem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Muc-off. Often on special offer making it quite cheap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How do you find Muc-Off compared to Assos?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I got a tub of chamois butter from Amazon and it makes my undercarriage tingle as an added bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Never used Assos, but I never had a problem with Muc-off either, so I haven’t changed. I think of you have one you use that’s effective, then why change. It can be a very sore area, and maybe not worth changing brands if you don’t know if it would suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Tried plenty but Asos is by far the best IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

Xenofit Second Skin. €3 for 125 ml on Bike24.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,634 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Assos for me, wouldn’t risk going without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

A nice lump of steak

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If I do ever use any, I tend to use the bodyglide stuff, however I can't think of the last time I bothered and havnt needed it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Vaseline.

But usually nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Vaseline.

But usually nothing

Me too. Only used Vaseline before the Marmotte and Etape sporives. Long day on the bike in high temperatures = lots of sweat. Not a problem in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I used so much of it I make my own now:
    https://cycling.hannahnicklin.com/make-your-own-chamois-cream/

(I use half the shea butter and add 20g of coconut oil instead to make it a less stiff mixture, and 3/4 of the candilla wax. I play with the oils too, it is a solid recipe)

If I run out I use emulsifying ointment instead, sudocreme stay around for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm almost out of Assos arse cream yet again...
    Are you using it for every ride? I'd only think it necessary for a 300km+ ride in the rain. You may need to man up!

(A bit of Sudocrem or any nappy rash type stuff is fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Everybody is different - some sweat more, some have skin that's maybe a bit more sensitive, some can go all day without the need for chamois cream. Whatever suits you - if you use it every ride and find no discomfort or other issues then drive on - use as you see fit.

I stick with Assos. I use it on longer summer rides but only because I've had very unpleasant experiences with saddle sores in the past. I don't see any need to use it on shorter (less than 100km) rides as decent shorts will provide enough comfort.

Sudocrem is surely a pain to be washing out in low temp washes if using regularly????

Great in the event you actually have a sore bum though it feels horrible on in my opinion.

A wash down below if you are of the hairy sort like me before a spin is essential too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are you using it for every ride? I'd only think it necessary for a 300km+ ride in the rain. You may need to man up!

(A bit of Sudocrem or any nappy rash type stuff is fine).

I don't even get on my commuter without chamois cream - I do zero chamois cream free cycling!
    Everyone is different, some people are more comfortable than others. YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sudocrem is surely a pain to be washing out in low temp washes if using regularly????

Great in the event you actually have a sore bum though it feels horrible on in my opinion.

A wash down below if you are of the hairy sort like me before a spin is essential too.

Yeah. IMO, Sudocrem is a treatment rather than a prophylactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I first used Assos but I am currently using Muc Off. I tried Muc Off as it is better value for money, you get a bigger tub for similar money.
    I prefer the consistency of the Muc Off, it just seems to go on better.

eeeee wrote: »
    I don't even get on my commuter without chamois cream - I do zero chamois cream free cycling!
    Everyone is different, some people are more comfortable than others. YMMV

My partner is the same. I'm sure you remember some of the stuff written about the GB women's track team last Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sudocrem is surely a pain to be washing out in low temp washes if using regularly????.
    I don't know. I use it perhaps twice a year maybe and after 15 hours in the saddle, I don't think there is much residue left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,634 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Using a good quality moisturiser on the area after a shower is highly recommended,helps with the skin drying out & causing chaffing as a result.

Advertisement