Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dreaded VAT

Options
  • 26-06-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Bought a 1982 classic in Northern Ireland, its on English plates I have the V5 etc
    I want to do VRT next week €200 ?
    I didn't do my research properly and I now realise I will have to pay VAT @21%
    Car cost me £4000 I have receipt to prove.
    I would like ZV plates.
    Anyone who has done this process since Brexit that would be prepared to give advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Hate to break it to you, but the VAT rate is currently 23%....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

It hinges on when it entered NI. If since 1st Jan then yes, 23% VAT. If it wasn't built in the UK, then another 10% duty in top of that. Oh and it's based on the invoice price plus the transport costs.

So no good news really unless you can prove it was in NI last year

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Isambard wrote: »
    It hinges on when it entered NI. If since 1st Jan then yes, 23% VAT. If it wasn't built in the UK, then another 10% duty in top of that. Oh and it's based on the invoice price plus the transport costs.

Im 99% sure its been in Northern Ireland at least a year as it was garaged to my knowledge.
    Just got onto the gut I bought it off now.
    Car was hand built in Uk . Its an unusual vehicle.

I have a receipt from the guy i got it off. No transport costs as i didn't transport it he delivered it to me . Car needs work so im hoping they dont go on the net and start looking at mint ones.

gipi wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but the VAT rate is currently 23%....

2% makes no difference to me its just pathetic that I never thought of the VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fidoodles

Visconti wrote: »
    Bought a 1982 classic in Northern Ireland, its on English plates I have the V5 etc

What address is on the V5, is it Northern Irl or is it England / Scotland / Wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Is the car running? You mention it needs work, if it’s a non runner according to the rules they won’t vrt it.
    Having said that, some on here haven’t been asked to start or drive a car. Twice I was at an inspection they insisted the car had to be started and move under its own power.

Fidoodles wrote: »
    What address is on the V5, is it Northern Irl or is it England / Scotland / Wales?

Wales on the V5. Was shipped over.

Neilw wrote: »
    Is the car running? You mention it needs work, if it’s a non runner according to the rules they won’t vrt it.
    Having said that, some on here haven’t been asked to start or drive a car. Twice I was at an inspection they insisted the car had to be started and move under its own power.

Runs and drives. Just not mint. Needs lots of bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Kit Car ?? . If so , could be other complications .

• Advertisement

Wales on the V5. Was shipped over.

you need to try and get some paperwork from the shipping company proving it entered NI from GB in 2020 or before.

mountai wrote: »

Kit Car ?? . If so , could be other complications .

No not a kit car. Pm sent.

you need to try and get some paperwork from the shipping company proving it entered NI from GB in 2020 or before.

Its all hinging on that . Will keep thread updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Im 99% sure its been in Northern Ireland at least a year as it was garaged to my knowledge.
    Just got onto the gut I bought it off now.

Curiosity has the better of me here... can we ask what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did this recently with a bike. I used a clearing agent for the VAT and duty, its not really possible to do it yourself. However none of my figures were questioned, I was honest though. The receipt for the bike was hand written, all was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I did this recently with a bike. I used a clearing agent for the VAT and duty, its not really possible to do it yourself. However none of my figures were questioned, I was honest though. The receipt for the bike was hand written, all was fine.

Bikes are far easier to VRT, as it's just engine based, and the invoice value (if VAT applies).

Cars are a whole big other mess, and Revenue will put a value on it (irrespective of what your invoice says) for VRT purposes. They'll only use the invoice to calculate the VAT portion.

Not so much as they having their cake & eating it, but more like they get to eat their slice and then come back for a 2nd slice....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Neilw wrote: »

What happens if it won’t drive and takes you say a year to restore it- do you face penalty’s too?

Casati wrote: »
    What happens if it won’t drive and takes you say a year to restore it- do you face penalty’s too?

Theoretically yes, there is no provision for non runners, it's VRT in 30 days or penalties with no middle ground (you can see why, there would be thousands of non-runners otherwise)

Advertisement