Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 8 : Styrian GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Hamilton must have overcooked it on that wild out lap. The end of that session was a bit cack, but set up for a decent race tomorrow. Verstappen and Hamilton front row, Norris and Perez on row 2

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Frantic session but all good for a competitive race tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

HAM looking very dejected when he got out of the car. (Which is great - love to see his cocky attitude knocked back a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Great stuff from Max, both his laps in Q3 good enough for pole. Poised nicely for tomorrow with Lewis in P2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

Couldn't watch live so only F1 text feed. Is it correct that of the top 10 Lewis was the only one through on medium tires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Even on that final sector of the final lap Lewis struggled with the car, is it a half mental thing at this stage?

Max nails it but Perez can't join him up there. Lando doing well to get 4th, but will start 3rd.

Lewis has always been very poor under pressure, it’s how Rosberg beat him to the title and how he struggled at McLaren before his move to Merc. When you look at Perez and Bottas it’s clear that Merc still have the marginally better car, but Lewis just can’t live with Max currently.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It just goes to show thy once Max has a descent car he can consistently out drive Hamilton.

3 place penalty for Tsunoda

ezuoild.jpeg

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

3 place penalty for Tsunoda

ezuoild.jpeg

Is that Russell in P10 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭klose

Faugheen wrote: »
    Is that Russell in P10 then?

Yup, will he still get a free tyre choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

klose wrote: »

Yes

Joeface wrote: »
    Couldn't watch live so only F1 text feed. Is it correct that of the top 10 Lewis was the only one through on medium tires.

I think Bottas and Verstappen were on the mediums too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

I think Bottas and Verstappen were on the mediums too

Yeah they are, the graphic on the F1 mobile site was wrong.

Joeface wrote: »

Red bull split their strategy

Perez on soft
    Max on mediums

Perez said in a post quali interview they decided this yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Alpine-GP-Steiermark-Spielberg-Formel-1-25-Juni-2021-169Gallery-864d1f33-1808564.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Red bull split their strategy

Perez on soft
    Max on mediums

Perez said in a post quali interview they decided this yesterday

With the threat of rain, it made sense for some teams to split their strategy. Perez was pretty far behind Max again so maybe he's gone for a setup that would be suited to the rain, more downforce, higher ride hight and so on.

He's over 3 tenths behind Max which is pretty substantial on a 64 second lap.

With the threat of rain, it made sense for some teams to split their strategy. Perez was pretty far behind Max again so maybe he's gone for a setup that would be suited to the rain, more downforce, higher ride hight and so on.

He's over 3 tenths behind Max which is pretty substantial on a 64 second lap.

Forecasts don't look like rain will impact the race but rain overnight will change the track characteristics.

Forecasts don't look like rain will impact the race but rain overnight will change the track characteristics.

Yeah the rain last week really made the tyres wear a lot quicker. Maybe running a little more downforce would reduce sliding and help the tyres last a bit longer - and then he needed soft tyres to get into q3. But he might just have been well off Max's pace in quali and needed the softs to get into 3 q.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was a good quali session. Should be a good race here so we can forget about last weeks dull race. Go on Max the Dominator.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

AMKC wrote: »
    Well that was a good quali session. Should be a good race here so we can forget about last weeks dull race. Go on Max the Dominator.

wat-wat-wat-memecenter-com-emedenter-27681375.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

klose wrote: »
    Yes

That must be the best of both worlds to get free tyre choice and to be in the top 10 on the grid. Seems to have worked out nicely for Russel.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

2011 wrote: »
    It just goes to show thy once Max has a descent car he can consistently out drive Hamilton.

Was it the downhill sections Max was making up time on? I didn't notice that, good spot

Not sure if ots been mentioned yet. Hamiltonnbroke that "gentlemans' agreement" not to overtake other cars on the warm up lap for quali and certainly not in sector 3. It's the same thing Mazepin did in Bahrain, but without the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I thought the cars were going far too slow on the out lap. I wouldn't be hanging about when they're that slow.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I did a 10 lap race on this circuit in Gran Turismo Sport a few days ago. Nice circuit to race on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not sure if ots been mentioned yet. Hamiltonnbroke that "gentlemans' agreement" not to overtake other cars on the warm up lap for quali and certainly not in sector 3. It's the same thing Mazepin did in Bahrain, but without the outrage.

Not only did he do it, in a shocking turn of events, Sky even mentioned it as he was doing it! Although just casually with none of the outrage that would have accompanied someone like MAZ doing it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not only did he do it, in a shocking turn of events, Sky even mentioned it as he was doing it! Although just casually with none of the outrage that would have accompanied someone like MAZ doing it lol

I remember them jokingly saying there are no gentlemen in the sport or something like that.

It didn't work for him anyways, he was two tenths down in sector one and lost the run of the car in sector three.

I think he is fairly rattled and this is going to be a big race for his confidence - but he could pull something out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think he is fairly rattled and this is going to be a big race for his confidence - but he could pull something out of the bag.

I do agree with this. He hasn't been in a good head space since the momentum swung back to Max at Monaco. If he doesn't close the gap this weekend, it will undoubtedly weigh on him, particularly as they're back here next weekend.

I don't think all the complaints about flexi-wings, pit stops, tyre pressures etc help him either. Need to focus on their own execution first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Not a Hamilton fan but Geez this thread makes me want to root for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Not a Hamilton fan but Geez this thread makes me want to root for him.

I wonder does he realise he angers grown men by just getting out of bed every morning :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement