Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 2021 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

• 24-06-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭

It starts on Saturday.

Again it's straight knockout, hopefully this will be the last year of that and we can get back to something with a bit more intrigue next year.

Leinster and Munster look straightforward

That could have been said about Munster last year also but I seriously doubt Kerry will make the same mistakes and they did in 2020, there is no way they can.
    And they have been playing the league like they cannot afford to put a foot wrong.

There is no use talking about the Leinster championship.

Ulster offers a bit of intrigue, Tyrone and Donegal could meet in a SF and Monaghan and Armagh could meet in the other,
    Donegal really need to step up, for the last three years we were told that they were a team to watch and in all three occasions they could not make an All Ireland SF.
    One would wonder how focused Tyrone were on their trip to Kerry a few weeks ago, with little really on offer.
    Monaghan on there other hand had a lot of focus on the same weekend and staying in Div 1 will do them no harm at all.
    Armagh are a potential dark horse.

Connacht is a two a two and a half horse race depending on Roscommon, they have caused shocks before in Connacht previously and I'd not be willing to right them off v a Galway teams that one really has to scratch ones head about.
    Mayo have an easy run to the Connacht final but could become unstuck there without Cillian O' Connor
    They struggled without him a few years ago.

Anyway it will end up with Dublin beating the Connacht champions without much fuss in the SF and Kerry beating the Ulster champs with a small bit more fuss in the other one.

Barring an early sending off like we had in the first game in 2019 Dublin will cruise to the title like they did in 2019 replay and 2020 finals, regardless of what people say about Kerry getting closer to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Good summation Tod.

Yip Dublin Kerry All Ireland final for me with Sam staying in the capital.

I've had very high expectations of Armagh in Ulster for a few years but they certainly didn't fulfill then last year.

Real dark horses for me in Ulster this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It starts on Saturday.

Again it's straight knockout, hopefully this will be the last year of that and we can get back to something with a bit more intrigue next year.

Fingers and toes crossed and hopefully a return to proper crowds at matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

regardless of what people say about Kerry getting closer to them.

Mostly media driven from what I can see.

For me, they're 2 years away from properly challenging them never mind beating them. Still far too light defensively and if 1 or 2 lads have an off day in the forwards, like Cork last year, then theres no hope.

I've enjoyed watching them in the league, but championship is a different animal.

Dublin to retain without really breaking a sweat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Dublin v Kerry final
    Kerry to win and dominate for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just make it a Kerry v Dublin final now and rest just playing for pride

• Advertisement

Done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Would that be gaa pride?.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It starts on Saturday.

Leinster and Munster look straightforward

That could have been said about Munster last year also but I seriously doubt Kerry will make the same mistakes and they did in 2020, there is no way they can.
    And they have been playing the league like they cannot afford to put a foot wrong.

There is no use talking about the Leinster championship.

Ulster offers a bit of intrigue, Tyrone and Donegal could meet in a SF and Monaghan and Armagh could meet in the other,
    Donegal really need to step up, for the last three years we were told that they were a team to watch and in all three occasions they could not make an All Ireland SF.
    One would wonder how focused Tyrone were on their trip to Kerry a few weeks ago, with little really on offer.
    Monaghan on there other hand had a lot of focus on the same weekend and staying in Div 1 will do them no harm at all.
    Armagh are a potential dark horse.

Connacht is a two a two and a half horse race depending on Roscommon, they have caused shocks before in Connacht previously and I'd not be willing to right them off v a Galway teams that one really has to scratch ones head about.
    Mayo have an easy run to the Connacht final but could become unstuck there without Cillian O' Connor
    They struggled without him a few years ago.

Anyway it will end up with Dublin beating the Connacht champions without much fuss in the SF and Kerry beating the Ulster champs with a small bit more fuss in the other one.

Barring an early sending off like we had in the first game in 2019 Dublin will cruise to the title like they did in 2019 replay and 2020 finals, regardless of what people say about Kerry getting closer to them.

* subscribes *

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd be happy winning Connacht and giving a decent show against Dublin in a SF I would expect Dublin to win by no less than 6 but probably more.

Can't see anyone touching Dublin for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I'd be happy winning Connacht and giving a decent show against Dublin in a SF I would expect Dublin to win by no less than 6 but probably more.

Cóc is a massive loss to Mayo and on paper seriously weakens our prospects this year.at least its happened early enough to give time to work a plan b. While I would be very dubious yet about kerry they could have won in 2019 and if they could sort out the defence they should offer a serious threat over the next few years.

• Advertisement

I can’t see anyone stopping Kerry this year, not even Dublin.

I can’t see anyone stopping Kerry this year, not even Dublin.

The hype train is in full flow again I see this year.

I suppose, like a stopped clock, it'll be right eventually.

Disagree ,Dublin are on the slide , whats coming in is nowhere near the standard of whats gone .

Kerry have built up a very impressive squad ,are the fittest team in the country
    and are ready to dominate for years

Cant see anyone touching Kerry for years

dunnerc wrote: »
    Disagree ,Dublin are on the slide , whats coming in is nowhere near the standard of whats gone .

Kerry have built up a very impressive squad ,are the fittest team in the country

"Fittest team in the [competition/country]" always fascinates me. Usually something for a group of players to hide behind as they've done nothing of note.

Was said about Scotland at the RWC19 and said about Galway, last year I think...

I thought with Kerry it was all natural god given ability and that they weren't athletes like the robotic, factory built Dubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is zero evidence out there to suggest Dublin are on the slide.

In fact the opposite is the case.
    Their All Ireland wins in 2018, 2019 and 2020 were the most controlled and straight forward than the ones that came before.

"Fittest team in the [competition/country]" always fascinates me. Usually something for a group of players to hide behind as they've done nothing of note.

Was said about Scotland at the RWC19 and said about Galway, last year I think...

I thought with Kerry it was all natural god given ability and that they weren't athletes like the robotic, factory built Dubs?

Shhhhhhh:D

There is zero evidence out there to suggest Dublin are on the slide.

In fact the opposite is the case.
    Their All Ireland wins in 2018, 2019 and 2020 were the most controlled and straight forward than the ones that came before.

Kerry should have won the drawn game in 2019
    Kerry underestimated Munster in 2020 ,only had eyes on Dublin and paid the price , they will not make the same mistake in 2021

Kerry underestimated Munster in 2020 ,only had eyes on Dublin and paid the price , they will not make the same mistake in 2021
    Yes they should have.
    But remember they had an extra man for most of the game.
    There are a few teams that should beat Dublin if they play the game with one extra player, but that's not how it works.

Yes they should have.
    But remember they had an extra man for most of the game.
    There are a few teams that should beat Dublin if they play the game with one extra player, but that's not how it works.

Yes and that was 2 years ago , Kerry have improved in every way since then
    stronger fitter more experience and a better squad , While Dublins aging squad are 2 years older , a hella lot of mileage on the legs and a lot of retirements .
    But sure its all about opinions ,and we will find out soon enough
    For me though Kerry are primed and ready to take over
    Hope im wrong obviously

stronger fitter more experience and a better squad , While Dublins aging squad are 2 years older , a hella lot of mileage on the legs and a lot of retirements .
    Hope im wrong obviously

What evidence is there that Kerry have improved.
    ?

They absolutely sucked in the championship last year.

They ran up huge scores on lesser teams in the half league/half preseason tournament this year, playing with a full strength team.
    And all the while just scraped a draw v Dublin.

I'm sure they will get to the All Ireland final, but will they be within 5 points of a Dublin team at the end, I doubt it.

• Advertisement

What evidence is there that Kerry have improved.
    ?

They absolutely sucked in the championship last year.

They ran up huge scores on lesser teams in the half league/half preseason tournament this year, playing with a full strength team.
    And all the while just scraped a draw v Dublin.

I'm sure they will get to the All Ireland final, but will they be within 5 points of a Dublin team at the end, I doubt it.

As i said its all about opinions , just to add Kerry can only beat whats in front of them and in my humble opinion they will beat Dublin by 3 -5 points
    Also in 2020 Dublin only beat a young Mayo team in transition by 5 pts and in my opinion Kerry are a far superior team than Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

First shock of the championship today in Newry, Down at home, Donegal overrated,,high mielage on some of them,Murphy with injuries and finished

First shock of the championship today in Newry, Down at home, Donegal overrated,,high mielage on some of them,Murphy with injuries and finished

Wouldnt surprise me , but i fancy Donegal by 3 pts all the same

Lot of shouldas in there for Kerry to be making pronouncements on the current 6-time all Ireland champions being on the slide you would think.

Hope im wrong obviously

You poor cratur.

You've bought in hook, line and sinker.

As i said its all about opinions , just to add Kerry can only beat whats in front of them and in my humble opinion they will beat Dublin by 3 -5 points
    Also in 2020 Dublin only beat a young Mayo team in transition by 5 pts and in my opinion Kerry are a far superior team than Mayo

You're ignoring evidence that doesn't suit your narrative and putting huge weight on that which does.

Go have a cup of sweet milky tea. You're clearly in shock.

Lot of shouldas in there for Kerry to be making pronouncements on the current 6-time all Ireland champions being on the slide you would think.

Please god im wrong and Dublin are in seventh heaven :D

Please god im wrong and Dublin are in seventh heaven :D

Kerry could win the All Ireland, but you're going on like they've not been beaten in their province for 11 years or the championship for 7...

Grab a bowl of coddle and the Herald and sort yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

In fairness, once it's over 3 points, I don't think we can read too much into how many points Dublin beat a team by. Granted they only beat Mayo by 5 last year, but I can't help but feel that if Mayo grabbed a goal with 10 minutes left to make it a 2 point game, Dublin surely would have accelerated again to get their 4-5 point cushion back.

From what I've seen of them, Dublin conserve and play at their own pace once there's more than a single score in the game. Even the league match against Donegal a few weeks ago - it ended with a 4 point difference, but it was as many as 7 or 8 with only a few minutes left. Dublin knew they had it won and if they truly felt they were in danger it wouldn't have been much of a problem for them to go and tack on another 1-03, in my humble opinion - such was the ease and grace they played with that day.

I certainly think Dublin and Kerry are closer this year than they have been in years but Dublin still edge it for me. It'll be interesting now to see how Dublin/Kerry handle their AI semi finals when they get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not a fan of straight knockout even If the games are better quality

They could easily of fit in some sort of backdoor or even play a B competition with teams who are knocked out early

Suppose the 2022 season will be business as usual please god

Advertisement