Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp Contract Civil Service

Options
  • 24-06-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a 2 year contract within the civil service IT related, job sounds good and in my field/skill set. Problem is its a temp contract and I'm in a very secure job but a job that will be seeing a lot of changes in the next two years and if I'm honest, I'd rather not be there for.
    My problem is the 2 year contract, I spoke with the head of the department and obviously he couldn't give guarantees but he does see growth and would be very hopeful I would be kept on. I know no one's can say for sure what will happen, but is it usual to be offered a fixed term contract and if it is usual, would the minority or majority get made contract.
    Also, I assume I'm not in the public sector pension process unless permanent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Snotty wrote: »
    I've been offered a 2 year contract within the civil service IT related, job sounds good and in my field/skill set. Problem is its a temp contract and I'm in a very secure job but a job that will be seeing a lot of changes in the next two years and if I'm honest, I'd rather not be there for.
    My problem is the 2 year contract, I spoke with the head of the department and obviously he couldn't give guarantees but he does see growth and would be very hopeful I would be kept on. I know no one's can say for sure what will happen, but is it usual to be offered a fixed term contract and if it is usual, would the minority or majority get made contract.

You sure this isn't a Public Sector organisation? That wouldn't be unusual to come in on a fixed term contract and then have it renewed or made permanent after 2 years.

Never heard of Civil Service offering a 2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

blue_blue wrote: »
    You sure this isn't a Public Sector organisation? That wouldn't be unusual to come in on a fixed term contract and then have it renewed or made permanent after 2 years.

Never heard of Civil Service offering a 2 year contract.

Goes to show you the level of my knowledge, it's a local authority, I just assumed these are all civil service, I'm guessing I should have said Public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Goes to show you the level of my knowledge, it's a local authority, I just assumed these are all civil service, I'm guessing I should have said Public sector

You will pay into the pension scheme as a direct employee.
    Under 2 years allows for a refund. Not sure of exactly 2 years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It sounds like you would be a full-time direct personable employee of the local authority. It wouldn’t be uncommon to start out in the public sector on fixed term contracts and then be extended or apply internally for a permanent role after a period. Civil Service is more formal and don’t have the same level of control over their local recruitment as general Public Service. Depending on the public body, posts may be normally advertised internally and if not filled then go external. It wouldn’t be guaranteed that you would get the post but the only thing I will say is in my experience the public sector is seriously lacking in (and crying out for) technical resources across the board - if you’re good they will try to keep you. But again, it’s not guaranteed. They can’t predict how future competitions / interviews will go as these cannot be biased.

The post may have been advertised on a fixed term contract due to budget constraints, specific project, cover etc.

As for the pension, up to 2 years you can get this refunded or transfer it to another public sector body if you decide to move organisation.

Advertisement