Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ofsted boss warns ‘militant’ activism in schools is a threat to education

• 25-06-2021 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jun/24/ofsted-boss-warns-militant-activism-in-schools-is-a-threat-to-education

Just wonder how much of that we see here, my lot are all done so not my rodeo.
    A lot of food for thought in the article

..."The head of the schools watchdog in England has denounced a “militant” new brand of activism in school communities, which she warned was leading to confrontation within and outside the school gates and having a potentially limiting effect on education.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Activism of any description should not be encouraged in any way shape or form whilst educating minors.

Teachers should do their job and that's it.

If kids want to express themselves it should be done independently of their place of education and preferably on their own time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The human instinct to engage in group think and religiosity is as strong as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Great to see Multiculturalism pay off, eh?

I get the impression a lot of Irish classrooms have been turned into youth branches of the green party by their teachers

Bambi wrote: »

I get the impression a lot of Irish classrooms have been turned into youth branches of the green party by their teachers

What does multiculturalism have to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

On the climate change issue the kids see nothing is being done and it's their future that's at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

Housefree wrote: »
    On the climate change issue the kids see nothing is being done and it's their future that's at risk.

It isn't the place for children to worry about such things, it's the place of adults and politicians.
    It's no wonder that mental health statistics for children, with their soaring rates of anxiety and depression, make for grim reading, they're fed a steady diet of doom when they should be concentrating on the three R's and just being children, not activists.

I find it very creepy they way some movements have co-opted children as spokespeople and shields from criticism.
    None of this belongs in our schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

When you have to target children and immature minds to "sell your opinion", you already know your position is twisted.

Creepy people do creepy things, most often with a smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Gradius wrote: »

When you have to target children and immature minds to "sell your opinion", you already know your position is twisted. Creepy people do creepy things, most often with a smile.

I wonder did Victor Orbán make that argument - or some variant of it - to Ursula Von Der Woke and her fellow virtue signallers yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They got a few days off, made up posters with their crayons and had a laugh. Now it's all forgotten about and they're happy to be driven everywhere in mummy's gas guzzling troop carrier.
    I dont think they are any more serious than their elders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The Left have become the new evangelicals, from vegans up, they always have an "outreach" angle and targeting schools is high up the list. Kids less face it dont have good bullsh1t detectors so shouldnt be marketed to , also some of these issues is going to increase their stress levels and unhappiness if a bunch of adults tell them they are doomed by the time they become adults, or are losers or asshol3s based on their race.
    Maybe it needs to come to a crescendo before Mna na Sananoch rise up, stand up for their kids and push back

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Fascism.

Not much more to be said.

But they fall asleep in history class.
    They don’t realise history can predict the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

bubblypop wrote: »
    What does multiculturalism have to do with it?

The brand of "multiculturalism" which says ALL opinions are valid and should be listened too (unfortunately even intolerant ones - but not those which dont meet their standard of political correctness/religion/etc).

Which says there is no need to bother integrating into a mainstream national identity - and in more extreme cases, saying the mainstream national identity is bad etc.

Recent "woke" ideas that you have to have a certain set of ideas, or you are a bad person. If you try and just keep a low profile, "silence is violence" etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Activism of any description should not be encouraged in any way shape or form whilst educating minors.

Teachers should do their job and that's it.

If kids want to express themselves it should be done independently of their place of education and preferably on their own time and money.
    When did you do your last CSPE class?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

conorhal wrote: »
    It isn't the place for children to worry about such things, it's the place of adults and politicians.
    That's the point, the adults aren't worried about a future they won't be in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

That's the point, the adults aren't worried about a future they won't be in

Yet the very same adults fret endlessly about whether their pension fund will be large enough to support them in old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Children care about the climate but still want their mobiles and PlayStations. The irony is that green initiatives are the luxury of developed countries that then outsource their problems to poorer countries with less environmental controls making the situation worse. All these kids are doing is protesting for higher taxes on themselves in the future. They’re too young to know how the game is played and that they’re the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dinjo99

Not comparing with this topic in any way, but my local primary school is flying a rainbow flag currently for gay pride week. I know some parents feel that it is inappropriate in a primary school and others are delighted to see it. What do Boardies think?

Bambi wrote: »

Diversity is strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dinjo99 wrote: »
    Not comparing with this topic in any way, but my local primary school is flying a rainbow flag currently for gay pride week. I know some parents feel that it is inappropriate in a primary school and others are delighted to see it. What do Boardies think?
    A school should make it clear that all of the children within - and their families - are welcome and accepted for who they are regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, nationality, etc. And that the school will side with them and not with bigots.

Flying the pride flag for the pride month is a demonstration of that.

Any parent who feels it is "inappropriate", needs to ask themselves why normalising homosexuality makes them feel uncomfortable.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Children care about the climate but still want their mobiles and PlayStations. The irony is that green initiatives are the luxury of developed countries that then outsource their problems to poorer countries with less environmental controls making the situation worse. All these kids are doing is protesting for higher taxes on themselves in the future. They’re too young to know how the game is played and that they’re the ball.

Well to be fair the devices themselves are not that big of a drain of resources. The data centres maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it's great for the many children in primary who will already be realising they are 'different' and of course those who are children of same sex couples.
    Schools should be inclusive.

Correcting JC History for years (particularly Irish history) has shown me there are a great deal of nutte ill-informed teachers out there teaching rabid anti-British nonsense. We have plenty loons of our own to tackle before we start importing hypothetical problems from across the sea.

spurious wrote: »
    I think it's great for the many children in primary who will already be realising they are 'different' and of course those who are children of same sex couples.
    Schools should be inclusive.

Correcting JC History for years (particularly Irish history) has shown me there are a great deal of nutte ill-informed teachers out there teaching rabid anti-British nonsense. We have plenty loons of our own to tackle before we start importing hypothetical problems from across the sea.

They should switch to teaching rabid anti-White nonsense. Teach the primary School young uns about their white guilt, not this rabid anti English stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

seamus wrote: »
    A school should make it clear that all of the children within - and their families - are welcome and accepted for who they are regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, nationality, etc. And that the school will side with them and not with bigots.

Any parent who feels it is "inappropriate", needs to ask themselves why normalising homosexuality makes them feel uncomfortable.

Full House there for anyone playing "woke bingo".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Full House there for anyone playing "woke bingo".
    I don't think anyone here is that sad and pathetic.

seamus wrote: »

If you need more time than basically any other goddamn issue on Earth, a month of every year, to convince people...

Maybe it's time to start questioning your product and why anything less than sheer acceptance makes you feel uncomfortable.

And the same type of people and brands flying this stuff have as much vested, genuine interest as those who flew the swastika during Nazi Germany.

Fanta was as much with the Nazi's as whatever other faux thing on the go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is where parents should be told to homeschool their little activists ,to stop others who actually want to learn from being distracted with this crap .

It should be called Grooming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

Corrupt. Every social institution has been captured and turned into a vehicle for politics. The original purpose of the social institution, in this case education, is downgraded - and would be downgraded 100% if adjudged necessary.

Advertisement