Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Woop - misread their tweet.

They are now installed though :D

https://twitter.com/dunkettleint/status/1389854681309093888?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

They seem to be making huge progrsss on the new slip roads from M8 South to N25 East. I’m at a loss to see how the S to E movement will take a further 18 months before opening. The ground isn’t that boggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

They may be using that part of the site as a storage area - there's not a huge amount of space around there. A condition of planning is that all works have to take place within a tightly constrained area (the Lands Made Available, or "LMA"). It's not uncommon to see the location of a later part of the road used as a temporary depot flor construction materials and infill material during the early stages of construction.

More beams put in place over night on the new M8 mainline over the railway. Very noticeable in the Dunkettle app compared to how it looked yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah it looks like a lot of progress over the last few weeks. Some of the structures are substantially up out of the ground. They're working on the existing M8 bridge over the L2998 (L2999?) right now too, which looks to me like reinforcement on the Eastern side of the bridge in preparation for widening and use of the existing hard shoulder.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see when they move the existing M8 carriageways to the east. This would facilitate opening the M8 East to M8 North slip road.

Yep. I know I keep harping on about it, but I'm most looking forward to the new "Glounthaune" slip adjacent to that one.

Yep. I know I keep harping on about it, but I'm most looking forward to the new "Glounthaune" slip adjacent to that one.

Very little to do on that slip. Once the M8 carriageways are moved, it’s just a matter of digging out the old road and laying tarmac.

Just read the weekly newsletter.

Can anyone explain what is happening at ST10. Sounds like there’s demolition work ongoing. But what exactly is being demolished? Can’t be the bridge structures themselves for the m8?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ajbayj123

Just read the weekly newsletter.

Can anyone explain what is happening at ST10. Sounds like there’s demolition work ongoing. But what exactly is being demolished? Can’t be the bridge structures themselves for the m8?

From what I can tell their rebuilding the fence on the bridge and the waterproofing and drainage. I could be wrong but that's what I i saw in the newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Someones had a good go at mapping the upgrade on Openstreetmap. Shows nicely how it'll all go together - the official maps can be hard to understand sometimes.

• Painfully long traffic jams every day now. I know they are doing some realignment but a few years of this will be awful, hopefully it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

Painfully long traffic jams every day now. I know they are doing some realignment but a few years of this will be awful, hopefully it improves.

It is a pity that these lads could not work away during the lockdowns when traffic was minimal.

Most of the current works are done by guys on their own in machinery and trucks with perhaps minimal groundworkers with feet on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

They did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    They did.

Yea I'm pretty sure major infrastructure projects like this never actually shut down at all.

This didn't shut down, it may have gone a bit slower, but it didn't shut down.

In fairness they did do a lot of lane closure stuff, gantry construction and all those things on the approach roads while traffic was at its lowest.

With traffic back to 90 - 100% now of pre-COVID, its inevitable jams are back.

Further update video. Most of the progress appears to be piling / ground improvement.

The concrete surface for the M8 South to N25 East bridge got laid the week before last. Suspect this bridge will be use a lot by construction machinery. Will greatly add to site access.

Seems to me that work has ramped up quite a bit in the last week. There seems to be a lot more earthworks going on, and a lot more works traffic onsite.

Oh by the way, the cameras on www.dunkettletraffic.ie . They've adjusted all of the cameras to give a better view of the works. Lots going on.

Our usual drone maniac has been out again :D Some good footage in here and some progress over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Seems busy enough on site today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

Is the Tivoli to M8 slip road open yet? Thanks

Not yet. I see they are doing a lot of work to move the M8 carriageways east to facilitate the new tie in though. The grass central median for instance has had concrete poured on it.

The M8 bridge over the L2998 seems to be widened too.

And the new bridge structures over the railway line and new Glounthaune slip road are almost in place. Lot to be done yet though.

Huge progress this week.

All the beams for the new bridge to carry the M8 over the N8 -> Glounthaune slip and the railway track are now in place. Concrete being poured to complete it.

I reckon it won't be too long before they build a temporary tie in from that new bridge to the current roundabout, and send one side of the current M8 along it, allowing work to be done on the current carriageways. Reckon that'll be the first big diversions of live traffic.

They are currently doing the tie in from the M8 south to the new bridge.

assume the current M8 north carriageway will be demolished. The M8 South carriageway will also be dug out with 2 new bridges and will become the M8 north?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cheerylemon

Just clicked in on this thread, at least they're getting it done! Went for a holiday down in Cork around 2011 and the jams coming out of the tunnel into Dunkettle were legendarily... ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ajbayj123

Drove past the closed M8 slip today and saw a huge mound of gravel on the road. Looks like they're putting a lot of work in there especially since the rest of the site is closed on Sundays so this must be a big priority at the moment.

• Advertisement

Yeah the old "Ibis" slip road is now closed. Glanmire-Tunnel traffic is diverted via Little Island interchange (or via Dunkettle).

Exactly as AugustusMinimus said, I believe they'll bring the M8 south carriageway across what was that old Ibis slip, over the two new bridges and back to the tunnel. Then they'll dig out the M8 North carriageway and put a new bridge in (for the new Glounthaune slip road). They'll divert the M8 North onto the old M8 South, and finally they'll dig out the old M8 South.

I don't think they'll get all of this done before the schools go back and the traffic demands through the Little Island junction will increase quite a lot. I've always maintained that it is not viable to co-route any traffic flows through a shared Little Island junction, but their gamble might pay off!

As an aside, there have been lots of speed vans around over the last few weeks too. They seem to have cottoned on to the fact that there's a lot of rat-running in Glanmire/Glounthaune.

Advertisement