Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointed on birthday

Options
  • 23-06-2021 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Regular poster but going unreg'd for this. So I had a significant birthday today. I'm big into birthdays and very sentimental. I woke up this morning to no fan fare - no breakfast in bed, no card, not even a cup of my favourite coffee. My partner had booked a restaurant in town which was and we'd been there before - realise there's restrictions at the moment but it was a bit meh. I'd also been there on work nights out. Not something I would book for a special occasion, albeit with out door dining. Had our lunch and then came home. By the time it came to my present it was late in the day - after 3pm - and I was completely underwhelmed. I have plenty of interests and hobbies and had laid down some hints. Things I would consider for a significant birthday. Instead my present was a framed print from my favourite artist that cost less than a few hundred euros. I had hinted buying an original - sketches can be had for around €500, small paintings for perhaps €1,000 - €1,500. We've no money issues so affordability not an issue. I'm really disappointed and want fo bring it back. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

How are birthdays normally treated between the two of you? If they have all been like this then no amount of hinting would have done the trick - you need to lay it out there and say that birthdays are super important to you and you’d like to be spoiled on the day.

Regardless of money not being an issue - I still think it’s a bit off to be expecting expensive presents - but you can certainly expect effort, in particular if it’s important to you. As long as you reciprocate of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Nobody can give you a definite answer on this. Personally I find this whole birthday fanfare ridiculous but each to their own.

Maybe your hints weren’t clear enough. I say this as someone who often doesn’t get hints.

Say something if it’s a big deal for you but be prepared to hear that you might have been unclear on your expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How does this compare to previous birthdays and if it’s completely different why not just ask? In fact why not just ask anyway instead of silently carrying around resentment, tell your partner how you feel and take it from there. Personally I think you did quite well, you got a meal and a nice present from somewhere you like so it’s not like there was zero effort. If you expect more then that’s a chat you both need to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If you made a big deal about his birthday and set the bar high, maybe it would be nice if he reciprocated.

If not... Well the present sounds thoughtful and the meal sounds nice.

Maybe next year, eh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thought you were going to say that he completely forgot but he booked dinner and bought you a framed print from your favourite artist..

And yet you're peeved... How long are you together? What age are you? Are you married? What do you normally do for birthdays? What do you do for his birthday?

Needs a bit more context

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Took you out for lunch, and got you a thoughtful gift of something he knows you like.

You seem fixated on the cost.

I don't think your partner is the problem here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marymoore

>Mod snip <You don’t appreciate what your partner did for you, why would they bother to do more?!

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

OK posters,

Tone it down. Personal Issues in heavily moderated. Mature, constructive civil advice only please.

Read The Forum Charter and stick to it.

Thanks,
    BBoC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I wouldn't say anything.... . you'll only make your partner feel bad / guilty / annoyed by your lack of gratitude.

"Hey listen, thanks for taking me out to lunch but you didn't take me to somewhere good enough / expensive enough / exclusive enough / special enough and the present you gave me, it was only worth about €300 while I really wanted you to spend 5 times that amount on it"

Might the print be a nicer picture than some of the originals that were available? If money is no object, why not buy an original for yourself?

That said - they really should have give you a card, made a bit of a fuss and got you a decent coffee that morning.

OP, we all have different versions of normal, but it does seem like what you're used to on birthdays is very much on the extravagant end of the scale. And that's fine, especially since you mention you can afford it. However, since your expectations are unusually high, it might be setting yourself up for disappointment to simply rely on hints to your partner. If I was you, and I knew there was something I'd be crestfallen without, I'd make sure my partner knew in time.

Speaking of what your partner knew, is your partner similarly big into birthdays/expense? Is it possible that given the year we've had, making it out to a restaurant at all seemed like a huge deal to your partner, and they're genuinely unaware that your expectations were higher?

I suppose my point, OP, is that I do feel you're being a little unfair to your partner. I wouldn't advise returning the print, it was a gift given in good faith. I would definitely advise speaking to your partner (delicately) to explain some of what you're feeling. You could mention the breakfast in bed, and ask if there's any chance of being treated to one tomorrow or this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

Happy Birthday OP.

I wonder is the disappointment COVID related? I know a few neighbours had booked big parties for their significant birthdays , all cancelled due to the pandemic, and they feel hard done by. Having the party 2 years later just feels weird.

If you hoped your partner could make enough effort to make up for lack of a big party with loads of friends and family, then even if the restaurant was perfect and the print was an original instead, you potentially would still have been left feeling something was missing. I know I feel a bit robbed of my last two birthdays because I couldn’t go have a night out with my friends.

There was an effort made, you certainly were not forgotten.

Off topic posts deleted.

If anyone has an issue with a post please report it rather than comment about it on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Better than the lockdown birthday I had earlier this year to be honest

The restaurant thing does sound underwhelming to be fair but amid a pandemic be grateful for what you’ve got and what you had, because it could have been a lot worse and more miserable

Try having some perspective and being a bit more mature and adult about it maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

The morning could have been a bit better alright but I think you weren't forgotten by any means.

Good to hear money isn't an issue, think of all the poor children who don't have the basics, birthday's and gifts and the children work, consider giving a gift from you to a children's charity, lots to choose from, am involved in Mary's meals if you'd like to donate something there.

Prob not what you want to hear but be thankful for all in your life and pinpoint him 100% in the right direction for your Christmas present if you still feeling hard done by.

The start of your post seemed fair to me op

I have to say by the time i read your complaint against the print that only cost a few hundred euro i had completely transferred sympathy to your partner.

We do need more context on previous birthdays, your partner's attitude to them, how much covid might have dampened ability and enthusiasm for it (very likely a factor) but from your own telling of it i have to say, id advise you to say nothing and maybe work on not letting your own expectations of specific deliverables of set values blind you to the effort and consideration that some else went to for you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm going to assume the OP is an adult so I'm amazed by this.

After 18, max 21, birthdays are just a milestone. Expecting fuss, fanfare and expensive gifts is very OTT, self-entitled even.

It's the thought that counts, not the cost (although it was significant). I'd look at how your partner treats you on a day to day basis, not what they spend or do on your birthday, significant birthday or not.

A 'significant' birthday tends to end with a zero, but the years just blend into one another. I'd have a serious rethink to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't know what the rest of your relationship is like, as you haven't said, but if you put that much stock in ephemera and tokens, I can only guess its fragile enough.

If someone was completely thoughtless about a birthday, as in didn't bother to acknowledge it or didn't make the effort to make their day a little bit more special or easier for them (take the kids away for a few hours to chill, cook dinner, treat them to a massage, bring them shopping to pick out something for themselves, take the day off to do something nice), it would be one thing, but it sounds like you've actually had a fair bit of thought put into your birthday by your partner and yet you are being critical, mean spirited, churlish and ungrateful.

I remember back at the time of the crash, our money situation wasn't good and we were stressed. My birthday rolled around on a weekend and although we agreed months before to cut back on any extravagances, my wife simply made sure for the day that I didn't look at any work, didn't have to do anything much at home, cooked me nice meals herself, took out a nice bottle of wine she had stashed and for a gift bought me a special edition of a magazine I liked and made me coffee while I read it. I can promise you it was the best birthday I ever had, even when we've had money before and since, because her gift was her love and had we had even less than that, that day, it still would have been enough.

Either apologise to your partner for your attitude and start talking deeply and attentively about a few fundamentals, or do them the best favour you could and break up with them, give you both an opportunity to find something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Hi op
    I personally don't get birthdays but I accept that to some they matter so I'm sorry you seem disappointed in yours.
    I understand the restaurant bit as it probably was an everyday type place and maybe not the extra special one that you may have been hoping for for a significant birthday.

With the way things still are, I think any restaurant experience is going to be a bit meh for the time being.

How would your oh feel if you did return the gift? If he bought it thinking you would enjoy it then maybe he doesn't fully understand your tastes.

It might be time to have sone conversations with him. Good luck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Instead my present was a framed print from my favourite artist

That sounds lovely OP and fairly thoughtful. It's OK to want to celebrate your birthday. Just because others don't mark the day, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

You have to bear in mind the times we're in though and be happy your husband managed to arrange anything. My mother wanted a big fancy occasion for a big birthday last year and ended up with a garden tea party with us all distanced and only staying a short time. My dad's 70th was in January and we were all outside the 5k limit so couldn't even visit him. And out of everyone he deserved a big fuss.

In times where its not necessarily money that's the issue but the logistics of getting/organising things you need to manage your expectations and be happy with what you have and grateful for what you get.

You hinted at what you like. So he took your hint and got you something he thought you'd like. The problem with hints is people aren't mind readers. He got you a piece of work from your favourite artist. If you specifically wanted an original you needed to be specific, not vague.

Restaurants these days... You take what's available. My friend was 50 last April (2020) . So nothing done for her. We didn't even see her on the day. I am now trying to book a table in a restaurant/bar for food and drinks on a, Friday/Saturday to celebrate something with her and find nowhere has an availability. Or what is available is 2 hours, at 5pm, on a Wednesday!

My mother turned 70 last year and again we could do nothing. Except wave at her from 2 mtrs away in her garden. Breaking the 5km rule in the process.

Treat yourself to an original piece. Buy it for yourself, for your birthday. And be thankful that your partner was able to arrange anything at all for you.

I'm sure they already know your disappointment. And that's unfair. In future birthdays and gifts will now be a chore, a pressure to impress and please you because of your reaction to this, rather than a nice day to share with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My wife is sentimental. Her favourite gift is the card followed by a thoughtful gift or two which definitely doesn't have to be expensive. She's all about the thought not the value of something. We are also conscious of the have nots and to go mad would be vulgar in our eyes. You have come off as pretty ungrateful in your post OP. I know you can't help how you feel, but the Earth doesn't rotate around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I'm big into birthdays and very sentimental.

So what normally happens on your birthday OP? If your OH usually makes a bigger deal then I could maybe understand a little disappointment but if you'll expected it because it was a 'significant' (I assume round number) birthday but you didn't make this known nor have you made an effort for his birthdays then I'm not sure why you expected some big blow out for yours.

I had a significant birthday earlier this year, as did my mum and my best friend and a few other people I know - none of us did anything due to lockdown. I treated myself to something I wanted as I think at the end of the day if you want to treat yourself you should but you shouldn't be expecting others to make a fuss or if you do then you directly tell them, none of this dropping hints. A good friend of mine's OH is turning 50 at the end of August and he has been very clear that he loves birthdays since they started dating a few years back and makes a fuss for hers and his own and he's said this years is going to be extra big week long thing and he has no shame about it and you know what good on him, he knows what he wants and is very clear about it.

Compared to some stories we've seen on this forum of people getting nothing or a card from the petrol station down the road you did very well getting something that required thought and effort. It's a little sad you are judging the gift by the price rather then the thought. Does your OH like this artists or art in general, if not they likely picked something out they thought you'd like rather then just looking at the price tag attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

i get that you didn't feel spoiled. that your partner missed an opportunity to make your feel special. little gestures like the coffee might have set a tone for the day.

In the cold light of day, he took you out for lunch to a restaurant you have used on more than one occasion and is im sure perfectly fine. In fact he probably thought you liked the food there.

Your 'feelings' are your not his. he didn't buy you a chicken fillet roll in spar & He is not psychic. I think your being whiny when you don't like his selection of restaurant. It sounds to me like a good choice of venue, but you were underwhelmed.

hos birthday present sounds great to me. it was thoughtful and not a cheap purchase. however once again it didn't meet your expectations. Yet looked at objectively again you come across as materialistic when you complain about what he spent - you wanted another zero on the end of the price tag! There is no need to get into a discussion i"s a print not as nice to look at?" but objectively form the outside it sounds a thoughtful gift, not cheap and its not clear why it isnt acceptable to you.

I think that either you usually get much more from your partner and this felt like a 'yellow pack' birthday in comparison to what has been given to your previously - (perhaps you can expand on that? ) or that you base a large part of your judgement on things, based on what a particular thing costs.

i have a brother in law who asks what everything costs phones, new runners etc, and compares them to what he spends. He doesn't ask how good is that phone, or how comfortable are the runners, their value to him, is simply the price tag. OP your post reminds me of him.

Oscar wilde's famous quote might apply to you
    someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP have you posted this before? The print of the favourite artist is very very familiar.

The bottom line is if you're disappointed with what your oh did for your birthday, you need to tell them, not an internet forum. We can't change the outcome, you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

So I had a significant birthday today. I'm big into birthdays and very sentimental.

If part of your complaint is that your present wasn't sufficiently expensive then that means you are not in the least sentimental. You are materialistic and mercenary.

Don't bother your OK with any of your nonsense. Instead do some serious thinking, maybe get input from a professional, about why your sense of your own worth has only one index; cash value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭sporina

Regular poster but going unreg'd for this. So I had a significant birthday today. I'm big into birthdays and very sentimental. I woke up this morning to no fan fare - no breakfast in bed, no card, not even a cup of my favourite coffee. My partner had booked a restaurant in town which was and we'd been there before - realise there's restrictions at the moment but it was a bit meh. I'd also been there on work nights out. Not something I would book for a special occasion, albeit with out door dining. Had our lunch and then came home. By the time it came to my present it was late in the day - after 3pm - and I was completely underwhelmed. I have plenty of interests and hobbies and had laid down some hints. Things I would consider for a significant birthday. Instead my present was a framed print from my favourite artist that cost less than a few hundred euros. I had hinted buying an original - sketches can be had for around €500, small paintings for perhaps €1,000 - €1,500. We've no money issues so affordability not an issue. I'm really disappointed and want fo bring it back. Thoughts?

is this for real? or is the OP just trolling?

Yellow for sporina for ignoring moderator warning
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117499172&postcount=13

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Even if I had the money you claim you do, I'm not sure I'd want to rush off and buy an original painting for somebody without them taking a look at it first. Sorry OP but you sound pretty needy and high maintenance. Maybe that's what your partner likes and it's a personality trait that they're ok with.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

A relative of mine had a quandry like this recently. Was disappointed with the range of gifts she got from her OH, including a 600 gift voucher amongst other things. Felt under-appreciated, like it was a thoughtless gift, he didn't invest much energy into celebrating her 'special' day.

On the face of this, it's a pretty infuriating thing to hear as a general rule. It sounds out-of-touch, entitled, materialistic, spoilt brat behaviour. Money's not a problem for a lot of people, that doesn't equal to the entitlement that there'll be a "fanfare" for birthdays and a few grand dropped on a present.

Digging deeper though, my relative is in a pretty problematic relationship. She feels it's not equal in terms of who pays for what in a general sense, and she bears most of the load with housework, bills, she feels insecure generally. So the birthday thing was less of a "he only paid X on a gift" and more of an example of yet another way that shows her he doesn't understand or care about her needs.

So I guess my question to you OP: how is the relationship, generally? Is this one non-issue highlighting bigger problems you have as a couple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi OP! Happy BIG Birthday!! If it started out mediocre reading this has now probably made it totally shyte - so sorry that its probably been totally ruined for you by now :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement