Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

silverharp wrote: »
    imagine having a philosophy that tells a class of kids that they are either losers or asshol3s

Men have been told it for years. On fathers day I saw bbc had fathers day songs on. Had about one min viewing and a song called oh father by emy lou harris came on. The subtitles told me was written by Dolly about her arse hole father.
    I switched off at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

imagine having a philosophy that tells a class of kids that they are either losers or asshol3s
    It's nothing new in America.

Minor Threat wrote a song about it in 1981..

"Guilty Of Being White"

I'm sorry for something I didn't do
    Lynched somebody but I don't know who
    You blame me for slavery
    A hundred years before I was born

Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white

You blame me for slavery

Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white

I'm a convict
    Guilty!
    Of a racist crime
    Guilty!
    I've only served
    Guilty!
    19 years of my time

You blame me for slavery

Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I prefer NoFx's take in 1994:

Don’t Call Me White

Don't call me white, don't call me white
    The connotations wearing my nerves thin
    Could it be semantics generating the mess we're in?
    I understand that language breeds stereotype
    But what's the explanation for the malice, for the spite?
    I wasn't brought here, I was born
    Circumcised, categorized, allegiance sworn
    Does this mean I have to take such ****
    For being fair skinned? No!
    I ain't a part of no conspiracy, I'm just you're average joe
    Represents everything I hate
    The soap shoved in the mouth to cleanse the mind
    The vast majority of sheep
    A buttoned collar, starched and bleached
    Constricting veins, the blood flow to the brain slows
    They're so ****in ordinary white
    Oh, we're better off this way?
    Oh, say what you're gonna say
    So go ahead and label me an asshole
    'cause I can
    Accept responsibility for what I've done
    But not for who I am

Edit: My interpretation has always been: Call me an asshole if I do asshole things, but don't apply a stereotype to me due to the colour of my skin, because it doesn't fit. Same as it doesn’t fit anyone else. I ain’t ‘the man’ I’m just a regular asshole like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,208 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does sound a bit catholic when you put it like that...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Does sound a bit catholic when you put it like that...!

if I remember christian/catholic ethics it would be everyone's a sinner but there was forgiveness available. Wokeness dividing people into either losers or asshol3s maybe could be related to Calvanists and predestitation? except nobody wins and there is no redemption

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

if I remember christian/catholic ethics it would be everyone's a sinner but there was forgiveness available. Wokeness dividing people into either losers or asshol3s maybe could be related to Calvanists and predestitation? except nobody wins and there is no redemption

That's more existentialist niihilism, I world have thought, but not welll-versed enough in either to say for sure. Plus, woke offers redemption by living a life free of offense, no matter how boring. We're 're all assholes/sinners and we have to suffer for the pride of our ancestors to atone.

Just be thankful the woke crowd aren't sodomising little boys (to the best knowkedge).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I hear they're going to get Dwane 'The Rock' Johnson to play three of the seven dwarfs, in a trenchcoat

Danonino. wrote: »
    I wasn't brought here, I was born
    Circumcised, categorized, allegiance sworn

Surely there's a comma missing. Or?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

It's nothing new in America.

Minor Threat wrote a song about it in 1981..

"Guilty Of Being White"

You blame me for slavery

Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white

You blame me for slavery

Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white

I'm a convict
    Guilty!
    Of a racist crime
    Guilty!
    I've only served
    Guilty!
    19 years of my time

You blame me for slavery

Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white
    Guilty of being white

McKaye wrote that song about him & his friends being bullied in a predominantly black high school. He said himself it's never meant to describe a broad spectrum. Though if it was released today it would seem that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,963 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I hear they're going to get Dwane 'The Rock' Johnson to play three of the seven dwarfs, in a trenchcoat

Can’t be heightest...

Wokeness is an attempt to impose a new moral landscape where, just like Christianity, those who have the audacity to stand up and speak out are vilified as heretics.

Though I'm an atheist, I do believe this kind of moral absolutism has acted as a replacement from a decline of Christianity from the 2000s.

It shows that, if anything, people need a belief system and others to decry as heretics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

McKaye wrote that song about him & his friends being bullied in a predominantly black high school. He said himself it's never meant to describe a broad spectrum. Though if it was released today it would seem that way.

Also slayer changed the last word of the song to “right” which McKaye wasn’t happy with at all :)

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Wokeness is an attempt to impose a new moral landscape where, just like Christianity, those who have the audacity to stand up and speak out are vilified as heretics.

Though I'm an atheist, I do believe this kind of moral absolutism has acted as a replacement from a decline of Christianity from the 2000s.

It shows that, if anything, people need a belief system and others to decry as heretics.

at least the old order promoted life affirming goals that helped people on average , the new order is nihilistic and depressing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

at least the old order promoted life affirming goals that helped people on average , the new order is nihilistic and depressing

But both Christianity and Wokeism share one core feature: anti-scientism.

Objectivity is thrown out the window in favour of faith-based, subjective beliefs uprooted from science but rooted in emotion and subjectivity.

I think we can all think of examples of this.

Objectivity is thrown out the window in favour of faith-based, subjective beliefs uprooted from science but rooted in emotion and subjectivity.

oh I agree, I guess the trick is keeping centrist structures that protect themselves from being taken over by ideologues but dont go down some techo-china route and become authoritarian in the process.
    Can we have the 90's back ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Also slayer changed the last word of the song to “right” which McKaye wasn’t happy with at all :)

McKaye is an insufferable gimp.

It shows people are too lazy to actually think for themselves and too embarrassed to admit it; and this is much easier to just follow someone loud and aggressive.

Nazi Germamy, various world religions, woke.

It shows people are too lazy to actually think for themselves and too embarrassed to admit it; and this is much easier to just follow someone loud and aggressive.

Nazi Germamy, various world religions, woke.

In other words, blind unyielding dogmatism to an ideology.

In other words, blind unyielding dogmatism to an ideology.

Yeah, exactly. I use too many words sometimes!

• Advertisement

The good news, at least, is that these people will never be in the majority. They tend to be a loud minority of the middle to upper middle class category who know nothing about the real world. They probably don't even know how to make their bed, yet feel compelled to tackle issues on a global scale. It's almost as if they want themselves to feel special and relevant in ways they are clearly not in their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Christianity is not anti-science.

Sure there are dozens of religious people who made scientific discoveries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=catholic+scientists+in+history&oq=catholic+scien&aqs=chrome.1.0l2j69i57j0l7.10214j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Geuze wrote: »

https://www.google.com/search?q=catholic+scientists+in+history&oq=catholic+scien&aqs=chrome.1.0l2j69i57j0l7.10214j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And there are dozens of Wokeists who are scientists, too.

What's your point?

Even Isaac Newton believed in alchemy and that he could find the Elixir of Life; part of his occult studies.

Ultimately, putting people aside - the foundational principles of both Christianity and Wokeism are anti-science.

isha wrote: »

It's enough to make you sick.

And, as an aside, why do stupid statements always sound even more stupid and vexatious when an American says it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Geuze wrote: »

All religions are anti-science. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

So a 5yo woke up with violence in her heart?
    JFC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

Kingp35 wrote: »
    All religions are anti-science. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Not really, while most will have beliefs that are contradicted by science, they are not against science. They will say you go look for your truths your way, we are looking our way.

And then we have the perfect religion, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Cordell wrote: »
    So a 5yo woke up with violence in her heart?
    JFC

Virus in her heart. That is what I heard anyway. It is a bit odd because I don't know how she could diagnose that or be casual about it if diagnosed elsewhere.
    It could be - and this would match her general levels of mega craziness - that the virus in heart is a fashionable thing she is hearing more about now due to the myocarditis news and she wanted to be on that band wagon too.

But to think a mother whose child is unwell with anything is most concerned about her ''white girl tears'' :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

America is going to eat itself alive with this nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement