Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any opinions on 2009 model Volvo S60s?

Options
  • 24-06-2021 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello all,

Was just wondering what the general consensus is on those old model 2003-2009 2.0 s60s, be it diesel or petrol?

The usual are they solid, any known engine problems etc etc. :D

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Bagpipe wrote: »
    Hello all,

Was just wondering what the general consensus is on those old model 2003-2009 2.0 s60s, be it diesel or petrol?

Thanks for any replies.

I had a 2004 S60s 2.0t Petrol for 5 years and it was a great car. Comfortable, quick and quiet although it was also quite thirsty on fuel (averaging in the low 30s MPG).

Other than routine maintenance every year and tyres on occasion, I had to replace the rear shocks after one blew while I was in a car park (only cost €100 at the time to get sorted on both sides).

MAF sensors can give trouble apparently and they have a funky throttle position sensor that can also wear out over time but I had neither of these issues and the car was 10 years old when I moved it on. Another thing to watch out for is delamination of the rear handbrake shoes. The material on the shoes can fall off and lock up the wheel, causing damage to the hub and disk. Brake disks on the rear have a "drum" built in, like older style drum brakes on other cars, so if you are getting an S60 of this era, I would suggest getting the handbrake shoes replaced or checked almost straight away. The first symptom of this delamination will be some locking up of one rear wheel when trying to pull away from a stop after the car has been sitting for a while.

They are a great car and I know my old one is still around as I have seen it every now and again. Anything pre 2008 will be on the engine size based tax so a 2 litre is €710 a year. Diesels tend to be 2.4 litre 5 cylinder units so keep that in mind as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have one, an 06 2.4 diesel. Well I did, it is parked up and my Dad uses it for the bog. Supremely comfortable and tough. Parts are dear though and often unavailable from anywhere bar Volvo themselves. I'd highly recommend one but you're going to find it hard not to find one that isn't wrecked as they are 15 yo cars now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Good car and well speced as are most Volvos with full leather, cruise control, air-con etc. I’ve a 2007 2.0T petrol with 275k km on the clock for the past 6 years and during that time it’s been very reliable (had a S40 1.8i for a number of years prior to that). Only non-service item I replaced was the front drivers wheel bearing a couple of years ago even though the NCT tester never mentioned it and when questioned he thought it wasn’t bad and didn’t need replacing. One of the coil packs also failed on me during Christmas 2020 the day prior to a long journey.

Over the years it’s failed the NCT on minor things, the most ridiculous being the rear indicator bulbs not being orange enough but as mentioned the handbrake for the size/weight of the car isn’t great and I’ve had mine fail the NCT on imbalance a few years ago. Other thing to be conscious off is that the turning circle is brutal with the 5 cylinders between the front wheels but you do get used to it.

Have you test drove or viewed any yet or what sort of money are they going for. The motor tax is punishing but check insurance also before purchasing, best I could manage this year was €550 TPFT with full no claims which was with 123 but some outlandish quotes such as over €1,450 from AXA. Was toying with the idea of changing it but there’s so little availability of decent 2nd hand petrols on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

Miscreant wrote: »
    I had a 2004 S60s 2.0t Petrol for 5 years and it was a great car. Comfortable, quick and quiet although it was also quite thirsty on fuel (averaging in the low 30s MPG).

Other than routine maintenance every year and tyres on occasion, I had to replace the rear shocks after one blew while I was in a car park (only cost €100 at the time to get sorted on both sides).

MAF sensors can give trouble apparently and they have a funky throttle position sensor that can also wear out over time but I had neither of these issues and the car was 10 years old when I moved it on. Another thing to watch out for is delamination of the rear handbrake shoes. The material on the shoes can fall off and lock up the wheel, causing damage to the hub and disk. Brake disks on the rear have a "drum" built in, like older style drum brakes on other cars, so if you are getting an S60 of this era, I would suggest getting the handbrake shoes replaced or checked almost straight away. The first symptom of this delamination will be some locking up of one rear wheel when trying to pull away from a stop after the car has been sitting for a while.

They are a great car and I know my old one is still around as I have seen it every now and again. Anything pre 2008 will be on the engine size based tax so a 2 litre is €710 a year. Diesels tend to be 2.4 litre 5 cylinder units so keep that in mind as well.

I did notice that petrol ones are quite rare or any that i looked at were in poor condition. But its a great sign that you didnt have many problems with them! What was the best MPG you got from it and did you have any issues with rust or electronics going?

I have one, an 06 2.4 diesel. Well I did, it is parked up and my Dad uses it for the bog. Supremely comfortable and tough. Parts are dear though and often unavailable from anywhere bar Volvo themselves. I'd highly recommend one but you're going to find it hard not to find one that isn't wrecked as they are 15 yo cars now.

Ye finding a nice respectable one will be a challenge. There arent many cars in my price range that I like the look of (of course if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear), or that can be modified aesthetically :(

Good car and well speced as are most Volvos with full leather, cruise control, air-con etc. I’ve a 2007 2.0T petrol with 275k km on the clock for the past 6 years and during that time it’s been very reliable (had a S40 1.8i for a number of years prior to that). Only non-service item I replaced was the front drivers wheel bearing a couple of years ago even though the NCT tester never mentioned it and when questioned he thought it wasn’t bad and didn’t need replacing. One of the coil packs also failed on me during Christmas 2020 the day prior to a long journey.

Over the years it’s failed the NCT on minor things, the most ridiculous being the rear indicator bulbs not being orange enough but as mentioned the handbrake for the size/weight of the car isn’t great and I’ve had mine fail the NCT on imbalance a few years ago. Other thing to be conscious off is that the turning circle is brutal with the 5 cylinders between the front wheels but you do get used to it.

Have you test drove or viewed any yet or what sort of money are they going for. The motor tax is punishing but check insurance also before purchasing, best I could manage this year was €550 TPFT with full no claims which was with 123 but some outlandish quotes such as over €1,450 from AXA. Was toying with the idea of changing it but there’s so little availability of decent 2nd hand petrols on the market.

Definitely sounds like a sturdy reliable car aside from your NCT woes! As far as I can tell theyre going for €3000+ but I havent had the chance to drive one of these old models only a newer 2012 but I dont really like the look of the post-2009 models.

I did notice that petrol ones are quite rare or any that i looked at were in poor condition. But its a great sign that you didnt have many problems with them! What was the best MPG you got from it and did you have any issues with rust or electronics going?

Ye finding a nice respectable one will be a challenge. There arent many cars in my price range that I like the look of (of course if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear), or that can be modified aesthetically :(

Definitely sounds like a sturdy reliable car aside from your NCT woes! As far as I can tell theyre going for €3000+ but I havent had the chance to drive one of these old models only a newer 2012 but I dont really like the look of the post-2009 models.

Turning circle is awful. And I mean awful. I struggled to get more than 40mpg and I did very mpg friendly driving. Only elec issues I had was the rear parking sensors gave up the ghost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Hello all,

Thanks for any replies.

Had one, 2l petrol, not a bit of trouble on it

Only sold it because of tax and insurance

Both were issues, insurance at one stage was 250 but was creeping up to 800, tax is the same

So pricey to run from that point

Great pickup, as comfortable as any car to sit in

Boot not the best design with the pinched in sides

The best value for money of any car as no one wanted them second hand for some reason

Paid 1500 for a 10yr old one kept it to 15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

No issues with rust anywhere on my 2.0T petrol when I sold it on in 2014. In fact, a lad from Galway came to Dublin and bought it. My inlaws used to see the car around Galway city regularly and then it must have been sold back to someone in Dublin as I have seen it around here up to about last year.
    The Volvo service manager used to remark how well the car was holding up, even to the point of being surprised that the headlight wipers still worked. I never had any electrical problems or mechanical issues other than replacing the rear shocks about 6 months after I bought the car. The best MPG I ever got out of the car was 42 and that was on a long spin to Galway driving just under 100kph, normally I would get in the low to mid 30s and dipping down in to the 20s if I was being particularly heavy with the foot.

On the subject of mods; Mine had been remapped to over 200bhp (rolling road tested) and had genuine Heico front splitter and rear spoiler fitted. It was also lowered on Eibach springs by about 20mm front and rear which made it look even better. The anti roll bars had both been replaced with thicker units and poly bushed along with the top engine mount having been replaced with a poly unit as well. Managed to get a set of genuine 18in Volvo BBS alloys for it too.
    It all looked quite tasteful. :)

556803.jpg

Turning circle is awful. And I mean awful. I struggled to get more than 40mpg and I did very mpg friendly driving. Only elec issues I had was the rear parking sensors gave up the ghost.

Thats not too bad then so I suppose, thanks for your replies!

Had one, 2l petrol, not a bit of trouble on it

Only sold it because of tax and insurance

Both were issues, insurance at one stage was 250 but was creeping up to 800, tax is the same

So pricey to run from that point

Great pickup, as comfortable as any car to sit in

Boot not the best design with the pinched in sides

The best value for money of any car as no one wanted them second hand for some reason

Paid 1500 for a 10yr old one kept it to 15 years

I can hardly find any good condition petrol ones for sale, theyre as rare as hens teeth. Might start looking at saabs :D

Miscreant wrote: »
    No issues with rust anywhere on my 2.0T petrol when I sold it on in 2014. In fact, a lad from Galway came to Dublin and bought it. My inlaws used to see the car around Galway city regularly and then it must have been sold back to someone in Dublin as I have seen it around here up to about last year.
    The Volvo service manager used to remark how well the car was holding up, even to the point of being surprised that the headlight wipers still worked. I never had any electrical problems or mechanical issues other than replacing the rear shocks about 6 months after I bought the car. The best MPG I ever got out of the car was 42 and that was on a long spin to Galway driving just under 100kph, normally I would get in the low to mid 30s and dipping down in to the 20s if I was being particularly heavy with the foot.

On the subject of mods; Mine had been remapped to over 200bhp (rolling road tested) and had genuine Heico front splitter and rear spoiler fitted. It was also lowered on Eibach springs by about 20mm front and rear which made it look even better. The anti roll bars had both been replaced with thicker units and poly bushed along with the top engine mount having been replaced with a poly unit as well. Managed to get a set of genuine 18in Volvo BBS alloys for it too.
    It all looked quite tasteful. :)

556803.jpg

They really sound like sturdy cars but a shame I cant seem the right combination of colour and condition.

Thank you all for the help :)

*Just incase any of you guys know and if the moderators allow, what would the general consensus on SAABs be? Either the 9-3s or the 9-5s?

Mine could be up for sale if you wanted a cheap as chips one in about 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I can hardly find any good condition petrol ones for sale, theyre as rare as hens teeth. Might start looking at saabs

They really sound like sturdy cars but a shame I cant seem the right combination of colour and condition.
    What sort of colour are you looking for. Anything of that age will be a bit of a gamble condition wise but the Volvos are sturdy and should be better than most.
    Just had a quick look to see what's available, not sure what you think of the cream interior but this has relatively low mileage
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2-0-turbo/28385675
    This has a black interior but very saucy price wise, can't image he'll get near that
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2-0-se-saloon-petrol-manual-180bhp/27960614

• Advertisement

Mine could be up for sale if you wanted a cheap as chips one in about 3 weeks time.

What sort of colour are you looking for. Anything of that age will be a bit of a gamble condition wise but the Volvos are sturdy and should be better than most.
    Just had a quick look to see what's available, not sure what you think of the cream interior but this has relatively low mileage
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2-0-turbo/28385675
    This has a black interior but very saucy price wise, can't image he'll get near that
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s60-2-0-se-saloon-petrol-manual-180bhp/27960614

I had an epiphany after driving a one of those larger saloon Mazda 3s so my opinion has swayed from volvo to saab to mazda biggrin.png Better again there are lots of used options and the cars themselves are newer,

but thank you both very much for your replies and if you have any advice for me i'd love to hear.

Advertisement