Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI and tablet compatibility

Options
  • 23-06-2021 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭

Need help with tablet compatibility please folks. Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0 today (SM-T290) to use exclusively with my Mavic 2 Pro since I wanted something bigger than my phone, but found my 10.4 tablet a bit too big.

Anyway, set it all up, put in the SD card from the drone - unable to play video! Downloaded 4 different media player apps, a few video editor apps, and NONE would play the videos. One or two said incompatible codec, the rest simply wouldn't open at all.

I'm at a complete loss. We have a bunch of Samsung phones and tablets in the house, so I've tried them all to see what will and won't play the videos.

WILL
    Galaxy Note 3
    Galaxy Note 9
    Galaxy S7
    Galaxy S9
    Tab A 10.4 SM-T510
    Tab A7 SM-T500

WON'T
    Tab A (2016) SM-T580
    Tab A 8.0 SM-T290

Am I wasting my time even trying, or is anyone successfully running one with a DJI drone? Samsung help pages proved useless too, suggested I download apps which I did and which failed to work.

If I am wasting my time, can anyone suggest a reasonably priced 8" tablet that WILL work? Don't want to spend a heap of money as the tablet will only ever be used for DJI stuff in place of my old phone, so preferably €150ish budget.

Genuinely gutted and baffled in equal measure :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Do you remember what settings you used to record the videos... or if you can access the SD card on a Mac or PC, load the video into VLC and check the 'codec details' ?

Also, what version of Android is the tablet running? are there any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

theothernt wrote: »
    Do you remember what settings you used to record the videos... or if you can access the SD card on a Mac or PC, load the video into VLC and check the 'codec details' ?

Also, what version of Android is the tablet running? are there any updates?
    I had the drone set to record in 2.7K. Changed to 1080p this afternoon and that seems to work.

Tablet is brand new, android 10.0 and all updates done.

Have it working now to a certain degree, though still at a loss as to why I ran into such issues

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I did a quick bit of research about that model and it appears there are two variants, and one can't play H.265 (this also might apply to higher resolution video like 2.7k and 4k).

The basic issue is that Android tablet don't sell that well so Samsung, etc try to make them as cheaply as possible hence the CPU is very low end. I know that's of little help now, but it explains why a 2019 device can't play H.265/HEVC (Samsung phones have been able to for the past few years I believe)

Advertisement