Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.9 v 1.6 VW Passat. Which is most reliable?

• 22-06-2021 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭

currently driving 04 VW Passat Tdi diesel for past 7 yrs , car is bullet proof, never gave trouble apart from usual maintenance , mileage is not high yearly motor tax €746 car is driving perfect, no problems with NCT, its the only time I take it to mechanic for service

looking at buying 2010 Passat 1.6 diesel bluemotion , car driving perfect, NCT etc all done, low mileage, she is more peppy , auto handbrake, but doesn't have the comfort or power of the 1.9 Tax €200

I had to go on a long drive I would prefer the 1.9 for comfort, power and smother drive, also a slight bit higher off the ground than the 1.6

Agree tax on 1.9 is crazy but thinking of reliability and possible problems with electrics, like is jump start for 10 Passat a no no, and do the electrics give more trouble

Feels like I am ending a perfect trouble free relationship for the sake of a younger model:):) apart for €500 saving per year in tax, what are the advantages of trading up

any opinions/advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

1.6 TDI Passat B6 would be laughably unreliable. Everything gives trouble. Avoid like the plague.

B7 1.6 would be a far better car if your budget can get you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I wrote a detailed list before which is probably googlable but off the top of my head and very briefly, things that are prolific in them would be injectors, EGR coolers, DPF temp sensors, clutch pressure plates, parking brake buttons, parking brake motors, keyfobs, ignition switches, steering column control units, body control units, window switches, window regs, rear coil springs.

Really desperate yokes, wouldn't hold a candle to a B5 in terms or reliability. You might get lucky with a well minded one but anything with high kms or without a very good history i wouldn't go near.

B7's were a far more dependable yoke. Still might need the odd injector or EGR cooler but generally a much better car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

banoffe2 wrote: »
    ... yearly motor tax €746 car is driving perfect, ...

Good News !

one year of tax for an '04 1.9l is six hundred and something euros

( isnt it ? .... at least thats what I pay )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Thanks for the Feedback and advice, yes €673 tax for the year! will drive her away for the moment, not a bother on her !

Advertisement