Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get GB News in Ireland?

Options
  • 22-06-2021 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Some FAQ sites I have seen say that it's available on Virgin Media but I suspect that only applies to the UK because the channel numbers given do not provide it in IReland.

Just curious if anybody has been able to get hold of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I know its on Sky. Came across it the last day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky channel 515 and online at gbnews.uk (Not geoblocked).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

icdg wrote: »

The one time you actually want something geoblocked! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

KBurke85 wrote: »
    I know its on Sky. Came across it the last day.

Well there's a surprise!

Can't seem to find it on Virgin. No great loss, I'm sure. But I like to keep tabs on what THE ENEMY is saying :)

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But I like to keep tabs on what THE ENEMY is saying :)

Just teach ten parrots to say the word Woke, put them in a bag, then swing the bag against a wall.

Pretty much the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

icdg wrote: »

Unfortunately, awful S****

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Saw the thread title and immediately thought, '... but why would you WANT to?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Yes you can get it on Free to Air / Freesat.

Must be doing something right to annoy this many puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

pixelburp wrote: »
    Saw the thread title and immediately thought, '... but why would you WANT to?'.

I refer you to Post 5. :)

I have been known to buy An Phoblacht and The Sunday Telegraph from the same newsagent at the same time, and to a similar spluttering reaction.

The price of being broad minded :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Freesat Channel 216 (HD)
    Sky Channel 515 (HD)

https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/uk/GB-News.html
    Astra 28.2°E 11306 V 27500 5/6 (HD)

They probably have a web site too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I refer you to Post 5. :)

I have been known to buy An Phoblacht and The Sunday Telegraph from the same newsagent at the same time, and to a similar spluttering reaction.

The price of being broad minded :)

I don't see it as a question of being broad-minded or not, rather I'd quantify GB News as a cynical sequence of angry polemics, masquerading as mock-defensive "balance". I'd see no value in tuning in, no more than spending hours reading the comments sections of the Telegraph might be. Obviously YMMV

At least traditional publications try to present current affairs as they are, albeit with a politicised spin in the more egregious examples. GB News exists to stoke a sense of hurt pride & patriotism, or anger over the big nebulous enemy of "woke/cancel culture". It might be seductive to a narrow demographic, but don't genuinely believe it'll speak to as many people as its inevitable viral footprint will imply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't see it as a question of being broad-minded or not, rather I'd quantify GB News as a cynical sequence of angry polemics, masquerading as mock-defensive "balance". I'd see no value in tuning in, no more than spending hours reading the comments sections of the Telegraph might be.

At least traditional publications try to present current affairs as they are, albeit with a politicised spin in the more egregious examples. GB News exists to stoke a sense of hurt pride & patriotism, or anger over the big nebulous enemy of "woke/cancel culture". It might be seductive to a narrow demographic, but don't genuinely believe it'll speak to as many people as its inevitable viral footprint will imply.

Apparently, its ratings are very poor and dropping already. The backers may have totally overestimated the appeal of such a channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If it does survive, maybe we should stream it onto the Boards home page, given the direction that the Boards user base is headed?

Advertisement