Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

accensi0n wrote: »
    Is he? Haven't seen him much since he came back but he always seemed to be a very good tackler, although not stopping the attacker dead obviously.
    Tackling low and good technique, one of those slighter players that can chop down a big forward.

hes been poor in a good few games since he came back from injury in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

connachta wrote: »
    So Carty definitely out of frame?

He always makes two horrible mistakes per game but has had a very very good level beside these

I'm not sure you can acknowledge that level of consistent mistake and make a serious case for international standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

connachta wrote: »
    So Carty definitely out of frame?

He always makes two horrible mistakes per game but has had a very very good level beside these

Andy Farrell name checked Carty as being on standby for the squad along with Ross Byrne.
    Would have to wait and see which would be called up first though if an injury occurred to one of Burns/Carbery/H Byrne in training..

I'm not sure you can acknowledge that level of consistent mistake and make a serious case for international standard.

finn russell wants a word

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭TRC10

Hume fully deserves the call, I think he should have been in the initial squad.

But my god Ringrose really is made of glass.

We better not start McCloskey and Farrell. We did it v Fiji in 2017 and it was horrifically imbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

accensi0n wrote: »
    Is he? Haven't seen him much since he came back but he always seemed to be a very good tackler, although not stopping the attacker dead obviously.
    Tackling low and good technique, one of those slighter players that can chop down a big forward.
    Was it the La Rochelle game where he was shocking defensively? He looked like a boy trying to tackle men.

Was it the La Rochelle game where he was shocking defensively? He looked like a boy trying to tackle men.

wrong FH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Considering Munster didn't play La Rochelle this season, I would hazard a guess and say it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Sorry for Ringrose but very happy for Hume. I thought he was very good for Ulster this year rand deserves a shot for Ireland.

I don't want to get into the trench warfare about Ringrose. I like him as a player and I never feel like he's a weak link in the team but he has periods of good form and less good form form. He was on excellent form and was unfortunate when he broke his jaw (twice?). I don't think his form has been quite as good since then. No objection to him not making the Lions and I'm confident form will pick up again.

No matter how much i like a player (and I do like Ringrose's attitude and work rate) but i would drop him in a heartbeat for a player who is slightly better. And I'm perfectly happy to give Hume the chance to show whether he's better or not. It's not personal

• Advertisement

He was on excellent form and was unfortunate when he broke his jaw (twice?). I don't think his form has been quite as good since then.

looked to me like he was carrying an injury for most of the 6N unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭TRC10

Yeah his form wasn't great anyway, particularly against Scotland where he was very poor.

It's so frustrating because in the last couple of years whenever he's come back from injury and looks to be finding form again, he just gets injured again. It's been the case since 2019 really. He's becoming increasingly unreliable in terms of availability.

Maybe. Maybe it was the shoulder injury he's addressing now.

TRC10 wrote: »
    Yeah his form wasn't great anyway, particularly against Scotland where he was very poor.
    im saying it was because he was carrying an injury though imo

TRC10 wrote: »
    It's so frustrating because in the last couple of years whenever he's come back from injury and looks to be finding form again, he just gets injured again. It's been the case since 2019 really. He's becoming increasingly unreliable in terms of availability.
    its unfortunate as hes the best centre by a mile when fully fit (RH has been amazing this year but still isnt up there with ringrose in terms of creativity)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Considering Munster didn't play La Rochelle this season, I would hazard a guess and say it wasn't.
    Sorry, Toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He hasn't looked himself since he broke his jaw. He is becoming quite injury jinxed too. I wonder if this is the same shoulder that he had surgery on a couple of years ago. If Ringrose was playing with some kind of injury, that doesn't speak too well for the coaching staff or the medical staff.
    Ringrose when healthy is brilliant. I think missing out on the Lions will benefit him. He can recuperate and heal for next season. These two international matches are not vital and Hume is very deserving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dubinusa wrote: »
    He hasn't looked himself since he broke his jaw. He is becoming quite injury jinxed too. I wonder if this is the same shoulder that he had surgery on a couple of years ago. If Ringrose was playing with some kind of injury, that doesn't speak too well for the coaching staff or the medical staff.
    Ringrose when healthy is brilliant. I think missing out on the Lions will benefit him. He can recuperate and heal for next season. These two international matches are not vital and Hume is very deserving.

Every player at every level has played with some sort of injury, especially at the business end of a season. Speculation is worthless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can't even imagine the psychological block of trying to make tackles on huge players having broken my jaw twice. These guys are absolutely fearless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Subscribers Posts: 41,202 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and the week earlier scotland will have 16.5k for lions versus japan.........

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and the week earlier scotland will have 16.5k for lions versus japan.........

UK are much further along in their vaccination schedule though

UK are much further along in their vaccination schedule though

UK are on about 9,200 cases per day

yesterday we had 284, pro rata thats 3,863

we are ULTRA conservative in our reopening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

The cases are probably closer to 400+ per day, the reports are still stressing that due to the ransomware attack, numbers will change.
    I think we have to bare that in mind at the moment

They're much further along in their vaccinations which means they can tolerate more transmissions per population without people getting very sick or dying. But there are whole threads where people can pretend not to understand how it works.

The cases are probably closer to 400+ per day, the reports are still stressing that due to the ransomware attack, numbers will change.
    I think we have to bare that in mind at the moment

i havent seen that in relation to cases, only deaths

numbers of cases, hospitalisations and ICU cases are easily qualifiable without reference to the ransomware attack.

our hospitalizations are an ICU cases are through the floor, mainly due to the long lockdown we've just had and our vaccination roll out which will have 60% of all adults have at least 1 jab, and 31% of all adults, incorporating the most vulnerable; groups have been fully vaccinated.

even the WHO have said we are reopening too slowly.

its just the way we do things here, no one in public service or government wants to be an outlier so they all go with the ultra conservative option.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

numbers of cases, hospitalisations and ICU cases are easily qualifiable without reference to the ransomware attack.

our hospitalizations are an ICU cases are through the floor, mainly due to the long lockdown we've just had and our vaccination roll out which will have 60% of all adults have at least 1 jab, and 31% of all adults, incorporating the most vulnerable; groups have been fully vaccinated.

even the WHO have said we are reopening too slowly.

its just the way we do things here, no one in public service or government wants to be an outlier so they all go with the ultra conservative option.

Well we've also seen how the UK Gov have been more lax and its panned out badly. Given the variants and the uncertainty around efficacies of certain vaccines with those variants etc there's good reason to be cautious. And if we're going to be cautious about anything then it should be peoples lives and wellbeing.

The problem with this sort of thing is that judgement will be done in hindsight. We should have opened quicker as the vaccines were fine regardless of variant or the UK were too quick to open up because the vaccines weren't effective against Variant X. I'd rather we were cautious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just as an aside, but it seems like it is in relation to cases also. From this article on RTE:
    The HSE said that the number of cases may change due to future data validation following the disruption caused by the cyber attack on the HSE's system.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Well we've also seen how the UK Gov have been more lax and its panned out badly. Given the variants and the uncertainty around efficacies of certain vaccines with those variants etc there's good reason to be cautious. And if we're going to be cautious about anything then it should be peoples lives and wellbeing.

The problem with this sort of thing is that judgement will be done in hindsight. We should have opened quicker as the vaccines were fine regardless of variant or the UK were too quick to open up because the vaccines weren't effective against Variant X. I'd rather we were cautious.

ive no problem with being cautious... however like everything, "cautious" has a range. I believe we are the furthest to the "ultra" side of every European country. normally we are quite happy with being in the middle of the class, but in the case of covid reopening we are firmly to the extreme. Nightclubs in spain have reopened, with limitations (incl 50% capacity). We havent even opened internal dining yet.

its no longer case numbers that we need to be looking at, its hospitalizations and ICU cases. The success so far of the vaccination programme is evident with the numbers there. The age grades that are left to be be vaccinated are the age which are very much less likely to be severely affected by the virus, plus there are the unquantified numbers of adults in ireland who already have antibodies.. and if were anything like england that figure could be as high as 85%

gone way off topic, but i just think we could loosen the noose a bit for july and august. after all, we supposed to have an outdoor summer arent we

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

ive no problem with being cautious... however like everything, "cautious" has a range. I believe we are the furthest to the "ultra" side of every European country. normally we are quite happy with being in the middle of the class, but in the case of covid reopening we are firmly to the extreme. Nightclubs in spain have reopened, with limitations (incl 50% capacity). We havent even opened internal dining yet.

its no longer case numbers that we need to be looking at, its hospitalizations and ICU cases. The success so far of the vaccination programme is evident with the numbers there. The age grades that are left to be be vaccinated are the age which are very much less likely to be severely affected by the virus, plus there are the unquantified numbers of adults in ireland who already have antibodies.. and if were anything like england that figure could be as high as 85%

gone way off topic, but i just think we could loosen the noose a bit for july and august. after all, we supposed to have an outdoor summer arent we

Hospitalisations are increasing again in the UK.

Even if the risk of illness is low in the young (i.e. unvaccinated) groups, if enough of them get the virus, then eventually that will translate into hospital cases. The other side of it is that a single dose of the AZ vaccine is not really effective against the new variant. In about two weeks, it will be the dominant strain here... right when we're reopening indoor pubs and restaurants.

I would guess that far more people in the UK have antibodies than they do here, because the UK did such a rubbish job of controlling the first two waves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Regardless of this, the evidence is also overwhelming that outdoor transmission is miniscule. Even the first time round the argument for banning attendance at large events was to restrict in the internal gatherings associated with them moreso than the events themselves. Having only 3k in the Aviva is stupid and not a "test" of anything.

Advertisement